Windows 10, yes or no?

Started by Mati256, Wed 22/07/2015 00:44:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Mati256

Are you guys planing on updating?
I'm using Seven and don't like Windows 8, so I'm looking for opinions.
My Blog! (En Español)

WHAM

It's free, it's new and it's interesting enough.
I've been running Win8 and lately Win8.1, mostly for the better performance and startup times compared to Win7, so I'll be updating just to keep up with the times and tech.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Gribbler

I don't think you have a choice. Everyone will use it. Eventually. :)

selmiak

I was running win 8.1 for ~1 month and even with classic shell it annoyed me so much I went back to win7. I will only move once support/updates/securityfixes for win7 stops. And maybe some severe security flaws are discovered. By the time win7 support ends the users will have moved to newer operating systems already and thus the hackers will hopefully have moved there too.
As everything moves into the cloud and towards remote access of unkown origin (and maybe a total killswitchbackdoor) I think win7 will be the last win for me and by the time win7 is outdated linux will have complete support for the adobe creative suite or gimp is a reasonable PS alternative and there I go...

Yitcomics

I am using win 7 currently,I wont immediately upgrade to win 10,probably check a few review first .But im guessing probably almost everyone will upgrade to win 10 since its free and that would make support for older os die out faster.I'm surprise that there is still support for win xp,its just a matter of time before I will be force to use win10,so I guess better get it while its free.

But I have 2 laptops,so I can update one and leave win7 for the other one in case of anything.

dbuske

Dumb question, where is windows 9???
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

selmiak

Quote from: Yitcomics on Wed 22/07/2015 13:07:28
I'm surprise that there is still support for win xp...
Support for WinXP ended on April 8th 2014.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: dbuske on Wed 22/07/2015 15:59:58

Because there was Windows 95 and 98 Microsoft decided to not use number 9 to avoid possible confusion:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/191279-why-is-it-called-windows-10-not-windows-9

(Alternate theory was that lots of programs checked for number "9" in OS name to detect if thats an "old version" of Windows).

kconan

I've been using the Windows 10 preview since earlier in the year.  Its good stuff, once you make the menus look like old school Windows.

Yitcomics

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 22/07/2015 16:01:20
Support for WinXP ended on April 8th 2014.
Well I didn't keep up to date :-[ but hey that's a long time :grin:

Gribbler

Quote from: dbuskeDumb question, where is windows 9???
It's dancing in the moonlight with Larry 4 :)

Radiant

Not particularly interested in upgrading. I'm still using seven and it does everything I need, and based on my experience the newer version of, well, anything requires a more powerful computer.

Nikolas

Problem is that actually newer software (Finale, for example) don't like older windows... So eventually, once the composers update their software, I will also be forced to update! :(

LimpingFish

Quote from: kconan on Wed 22/07/2015 16:51:18
...once you make the menus look like old school Windows.

This is what I've been doing since Vista! At least the Start menu is back.

I'll wait until a service pack hits before upgrading.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Saurabh

It is free doesn't mean it is good for you. I won't be upgrading because old games will probably be even harder to run on windows 10. I use my pc exclusively for gaming.

Ryan Timothy B

Recently the internet just blew up about Windows 10 storing your wifi passwords in the Microsoft cloud. This is what Google and I believe Apple have been doing for how many years now with mobile? I don't get why when it's happening with a computer they suddenly get butt-hurt about it [excuse my Canadian language].

You can disable it either way, but why do they feel they're being violated somehow? I agree there should probably be a checkbox when you add a wifi connection saying "Remember this password in the cloud" or other.

David Ostman

Yeah. I didn't even know about this, and now that I do know I just don't care as much as I would have a few years back. If someone is close enough to connect to my WiFi and want to do me, specifically, harm I'd be more concerned about other things than them accessing my wifi...

Theonlyjb

Quote from: dbuske on Wed 22/07/2015 15:59:58

Windows 9 was never made they skipped and went straight to 10
Please feel free to check out www.theonlyjbs.com we got a little something for everyone

OneDollar

Quote from: Ryan Timoothy on Tue 28/07/2015 03:05:17
Recently the internet just blew up about Windows 10 storing your wifi passwords in the Microsoft cloud. This is what Google and I believe Apple have been doing for how many years now with mobile? I don't get why when it's happening with a computer they suddenly get butt-hurt about it [excuse my Canadian language].

That's not the issue. The problem is that they ask you if you want to share those details with your contacts. Let's say I bring my Windows 10 laptop or phone (that I've connected to my Outlook or Facebook account) round to your house and you give me your WiFi key. If I choose to share the connection with my contacts when I join suddenly my friends, family and the plumber I emailed last year can also join your WiFi, just because I have them as contacts. It's not granular either, is literally all my contacts. The only ways you can stop that happening are either putting the key in for me and choosing not to share, or modifying your WiFi name to put an _optout in it (and obviously rejoining everything you ever joined to it).

Microsoft claim that people connecting to shared WiFi can't get to the rest of the network, but they've not said how they're enforcing that so people are suspicious that it'll be hackable. The whole idea seems open to abuse and pretty risky for a small convenience.

That said, I've yet to see this option on Windows 10 Enterprise, so I don't know if it's only available in Home editions or if they backtracked on it.

shynra

Hi

I just jumped in here to see if there are any compatibility issues with AGS x Windows 10?

I haven't seen any complaints so far... I should be upgrading in a month or so!

Jack

No. A thousand times no.

Did you know that microsoft has embedded an extra cryptokey in windows, called _NSAKEY, since the 90's? Anyone want to guess what kind of surprises they planted in the age of CISA?

I agree with selmiak, IMO the wise person is looking to switch to linux (Mint, Ubuntu...), not windows 10.

Consider that the adoption rate for windows 8 is pretty much the worst ever. So bad the replacement has to be free. Is there any software out there that works only on windows 8 that you simply must have? I doubt it. If software creators weren't put off by the OS itself, they certainly were by the adoption numbers. How will microsoft recover from this, when pretty much everything you hear about their new OS is pure evil?

magintz

I'm in the Yes column. It's prettier, easier to use, i can carry out my daily workflows a lot easier; searching and navigating especially.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

mkennedy

How big is it? From what I've been told Windows 8 is over 100 gigabytes so will Windows 10 be bigger still?

Gurok

Wow! No, Windows 8 and Windows 10 are both about 20GB installed. And that's with Explorer double counting directories that are junctioned. Where'd you get that information from? A 100GB drive sounds like a reasonable minimum capacity to recommend, but Windows itself certainly doesn't take up that much.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

LimpingFish

Quote from: JackLucy on Sun 09/08/2015 12:05:25
How will microsoft recover from this, when pretty much everything you hear about their new OS is pure evil?

By way of the 8th Dimension?

I am not frightened by Windows 10.

mkennedy

Guess I misheard, though 20 gigs is still quite large. [old man rant] Oh how I miss the good old days where programs were distributed on physical media that you could install it from instead of having everything downloaded now. [end rant]

Gurok

20GB was my estimate of the installation size. The download size is probably closer to 3-4GB.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

LimpingFish

Quote from: Gurok on Mon 10/08/2015 02:11:55
The download size is probably closer to 3-4GB.

2,706.1MB, to be exact.(nod)

portableTaco

Yes for me.  I've had it for many months now and really like it over 8.1.  It seems faster to me, and I've already loaded it up with tons of audio DAW stuff, photo editing junk, programming languages here and there, and all seems pretty solid. No issues with any drivers from 8.1 either, it all just works just as well if not better. 

Domino

I have a computer running Windows 7 and everything is working fine. Last week I decided to try out Windows 10 and my computer became very unstable and everything was locking up and not responding. I met all of the requirements to run Windows 10, but after about an hour of frustration, reverted back to to Windows 7.

qptain Nemo

Well, seeing as I've completely switched to exclusively using Linux with absolutely no regrets, it's an easy nope for me.

Ibispi

I agree with the captain. Linux is the only salvation in these dark times.
It's even more free than windows 10, and way better.
All aboard the ship Linux! Hippity hip hooray!

[delete}

Windows 10, no

Peder 🚀

As I'm 99% of the time using linux on my desktop computer (I installed Windows 7 on a dedicated SSD purely for music recording as I've spent some cash into software that sadly only works on windows) it's an easy no for me too!
Especially since the 1% I use Windows is for music recording, I'd rather not install a windows version that might fuck up the only stuff I need it for in the first place :p

donkeymilk

I installed it on a 30gb partition and it takes up about 15gb with a few redists installed.

It does a lot of spying  and collects and phones home a lot of info about you ,even when you tell it not to.
Code: ags
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

Best to start win10 in offline mode if poss.

Here's a few new and useful  programs that are starting to appear:
Debloat-Windows-10
https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10

Disable Win Tracking v 1.5
https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases/latest

Destroy Windows 10 Spying!
http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5054236

https://twitter.com/nummerok/

DoNotSpy10
http://pxc-coding.com/blog/donotspy10-1000/

Jack

Quote from: LimpingFish on Mon 10/08/2015 00:36:17By way of the 8th Dimension?

I am not frightened by Windows 10.

Most people are not frightened by excrement.

I just don't want to get any on me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk