AGS 3.3.4

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 12/07/2015 17:50:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

AGS 3.3.4.2 does not display help explanations and scripting only left help menus show...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Mon 27/07/2015 19:04:19
AGS 3.3.4.2 does not display help explanations and scripting only left help menus show...
Sorry, what do you mean?
E: I am kind of guessing you are talking of floating hints in scripting window? Do you get this all time or in particular case?
Does anyone else have this problem?

Slasher

help manual.  click on a topic but nothing shows in the main help window.

downloaded just now and opened it and was checking out help manual.

i downloaded archive choice.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Mon 27/07/2015 19:55:17
help manual.  click on a topic but nothing shows in the main help window.

downloaded just now and opened it and was checking out help manual.

i downloaded archive choice.

I think it is a case when Windows blocks "suspicious" files.
Go to AGS folder, right click on ags-help.chm, choose Properties, on the General tab find "Unblock" button.
http://superuser.com/questions/503812/how-to-unblock-chm-files-unblock-button-is-missing

Slasher

I missed that one :X

all ok (nod)

cheers

JD_Mortal

Trying to run the supplied "Demo game"...

I get an error...
"Access to the path 'Speech' is denied."

Then it crashes and exits. There is no "Speech" folder or files... Only 'Music' and 'Sound' folders in the demo. I assume something is hard-coded to "look in folders", but it just assumes the folder exists, trying to look inside a non-existent folder for "something". If not that, than it is coded somewhere in the demo file, which, at some point, may have had 'Speech', but later moved stuff to 'sounds'... But the code still has a path-call for 'Speech', even though it never uses it. (So nothing would have been exported, and the folder never existing. You should check for unused resources and remove them, at compile time. Being used in code is not the same as "being used", if nothing ever calls for that "thing", or the "thing" is not used anywhere other than a declaration of a path, which is never used as a called value.)

Anywho... Back to playing. Since the demo is essentially dead and thus, a demo of what not to do... sort-of.

EDIT: Manually creating the folders got me a little further... Had to create a few... All are missing and it is looking inside for them.
"Speech"
"AudioCache"
"Compiled"

Now I am getting "User access denied", you do not have permissions to write to folders/files in this directory... It is trying to compile inside of the program directory, which is shouldn't be doing. It should be compiling inside of a windows temp-folder with disposable junk, not user folders. (Thus, the permissions failure.) Otherwise the program should be registered as the "User", or as "All users", or the setup should follow with "First, setup your program to run with Admin privileges, or User privileges."... if that is a requirement to "run". (Even a note on first-run, would be sufficient, if it also has instructions.)

Honestly it is odd that it doesn't have permission to edit files in the EXE's own directory. Time to update the installer, it obviously isn't setup to install into windows correctly.

Trying to use the "Horn" with the "Crack in the wall"... Get error... "prepare script: error - 18 (no such function in script) trying to run 'hotspot0_a' (Room 14)"

Honestly, I don't get the demo. What is it showcasing? It is huge unreadable pixels and poor functional click-GUI and no guidance of what is going-on. It is also annoyingly loud and noisy.

One usually thinks of a "demo", as a form of showcase of "what we can do", or "our ability"... Not just something made for the sake of making something, and providing it to look at, with bad examples of function and devoid of "what we are looking at"... It obviously isn't good graphics or sound or GUI interaction, or game-play... Not trying to sound offensive, just telling my opinion of what I saw before I couldn't take it anymore and the demo-game crashed... again, again...

Crimson Wizard

JD_Mortal, we have a known issue that the Demo Game is installed inside AGS program folder, and that causes problem if AGS itself is installed in system folders.
We are planning to fix that in upcoming release.

Regarding the quality of the game itself... this game was created years ago, and since then distrubuted along the AGS. Was just keeping the tradition.
Perhaps it may be worth to remove or replace it; but honestly, no one in my memory ever raised such question as long as I create releases.

Snarky

There have been a couple of initiatives to update/replace the demo game, but as I recall they didn't go anywhere. Might be time for someone to have another crack at it. (I think I suggested before that instead of one big game that tries to cover "everything", we should have a game that demonstrates the basics, and then other smaller demos that just demonstrate a particular feature.)

Sslaxx

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 01/11/2015 14:40:02
There have been a couple of initiatives to update/replace the demo game, but as I recall they didn't go anywhere. Might be time for someone to have another crack at it. (I think I suggested before that instead of one big game that tries to cover "everything", we should have a game that demonstrates the basics, and then other smaller demos that just demonstrate a particular feature.)
Perhaps take a look at how Ren'Py does it? A tiny little demonstration "game" and another project that demonstrates all of its features.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 01/11/2015 14:40:02

Perhaps Open Quest could be good candidate: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/945/
It is very simple, open source, with nice and clean gfx.

Sslaxx

Open Quest was created with AGS 2.72.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67740160/Open_Quest_Source.7z is it updated to 3.3.4, with the sound system changed to the newer version and other bare minimum changes to get it to work - it's completable from start to finish, save and load work etc. To properly modernise it to take full advantage of 3.3.4's capabilities will come later. It may be necessary to replace the artwork and sound/music, as there's no explicit license permitting their use outside of Open Quest (although the readme's "what can be reused?" "Anything you want." could be read as Public Domain).
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Icey

Why not have demo that comes installed featuring a game that is created from a team project? Sorta like how Draculator II: Byte of the Draculator came to be. Someone could helm the project and start it off in the Recruitment forum or something. I don't recall the premise of the old demo but maybe the game can feature a city with various puzzles to do and some other characters for other AGS games(if their creators want them in their) drawn in a simplified way so that it doesn't consume a bunch of time, or contrast to much with what ever style will be used for the game.

We can all be assigned to different parts of the game to work on just like before and work together to create something fresh as far as the original demo goes. It should also be scripted in a way that //explains in the script what does what for easy and hard functions. Seeing how it's the first thing that comes with AGS that you can crack open and see how things work it could actually prove to be very useful for newcomers.

Dualnames

Load_Room: Bad packed file. Either the file requires a newer or older version of\n"
      "this program or the file is corrupt.

I get this only when i'm trying to play the compiled version.

I'm getting this, I assume i have to rollback to a backup, but thing is i have over 100 rooms, and i'd prefer to actually somehow pinpoint the error. The spritefile has just went over 2gb, so i wonder if that's the problem?

edit: Either compressing the sprite file or splitting in chunks seems to fix the problem.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 15/12/2015 20:59:27The spritefile has just went over 2gb, so i wonder if that's the problem?
Yes, this is a known problem with AGS: it does not support resource files larger than 2 GB.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Sslaxx on Mon 02/11/2015 15:13:49
Open Quest was created with AGS 2.72 and is now updated to work with 3.3.4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67740160/Open_Quest_Source.7z

I would like not to see this die.

Sslaxx

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Thu 17/12/2015 09:30:20
Quote from: Sslaxx on Mon 02/11/2015 15:13:49
Open Quest was created with AGS 2.72 and is now updated to work with 3.3.4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67740160/Open_Quest_Source.7z

I would like not to see this die.
Intend for it not to. Still so much to do, and I noticed it stopped working due to script compilation (thought I'd got everything but hadn't, but from what I can see it's mostly old music/sound scripting still in there).
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk