The Points Game

Started by Mandle, Fri 18/09/2015 00:47:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

This is a game I invented and ran in a game forum years ago. As it was quite successful I'm resurecting it here:

The rules are simple:

Each time a new round starts I come up with a new secret rule/set of rules for that round.

Participants post some text (please limit to 2 lines max per post). The text can be anything, but actual sentences are cooler than just strings of characters.

I then give each post a number of points based on the secret rule/rules for that round.

The object is to figure out the secret rule(s) and post the correct answer first.

Please begin such solution posts with "SOLUTION:" to avoid confusion. Oh, and also please only post a single solution at a time and wait for the host's reply before posting another. Multiple solutions in a single post will be ignored.

A basic example:

Player A's post: The pope walks into a bar and orders a drink.
Host's post: 5 pts
Player B's post: I don't understand how to play this game. Can you explain again?
Host's post: 7 pts
Player C's post: SOLUTION: One point is given for each letter "a" in the post.
Host's post: Player C is correct! New round starts!

This was only a basic example for clarity. Actual rounds will get more complex than just counting up a certain letter.

Feel free to post even if there are already posts waiting on scores: I will get to them all together.

At first I think I will run the game as Host for a few rounds until everyone is up to speed and then open it up for others to host.

ROUND #1 BEGINS NOW!

The Leaderboard below shows how many times the player named has won a round:

--------LEADERBOARD--------

Stupot: 4
AnasAbdin: 2
Wyz: 1

I'm also going to try to keep track of every rule-set that has been solved so there is not a lot of repetition:
Spoiler

Round #1: One point for every two-letter word.
Round #2: One point for every letter that has a tail.
Round #3: One point for every common noun.
Round #4: One point for each "h" added to another letter if that changes its pronunciation.
Round #5: One point for every word containing three or more different vowels.
Round #6: One point for each consecutive letter in alphabetical order, spaces disregarded.
Round #7: One point for each time the last english alphabet letter in the previous non-host post appears in the post being scored.
Round #8:
Round #9:
[close]

selmiak

So this is the begining!

Baron

Or at least a new reboot of something begun long ago!

Mandle

selmiak: 2 pts

Baron: 3 pts

Gurok

I have a sneaking suspicion this will score 5.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mandle

Stupot

Solution(?): Is it that one point is being scored for every two-letter word?

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 18/09/2015 07:57:38
Solution(?): Is it that one point is being scored for every two-letter word?

Correct!!! (Easy rounds to start with of course, but well done!)

Round #2 Begins!

AnasAbdin

Round 2 entry:

I am confused, is the rule now set by Mandle or Stupot+

Intense Degree

I would guess Mandle from the opening post?

Mandle

AnasAbdin: 3pts

Intense Degree: 4 pts

AnasAbdin

SOLUTION: One point is given for each word containing more than 4 letters in the post?

Mandle

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Fri 18/09/2015 11:35:19
SOLUTION: One point is given for each word containing more than 4 letters in the post?

Nope.

CaptainD

Solution - one point for each occurrence of the letter "e"?

GAH I can't count... :-[

Crimson Wizard

Should I post something else to improve the chance of successfully finding an answer?

CaptainD

Stupot

Are you counting all words in a post, including Anas's "Round 2 entry:" part, or would that be omitted from play?

Mandle

Crimson Wizard: 5pts

CaptainD: 2 pts

Stupot: 8 pts

RULE CLARIFICATION: The entirity of every post except for ones beginning with the word Solution (or those exceeding the maximum of 2 lines) are tallied...

EDIT: OOPS!!! Sorry...Stupot's score was actually 8 pts....not 7 pts ....I goofed....

Cassiebsg

Either Mandle can't count or I still have no clue on how CaptainD can have 2pts or...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

I've got a theory, but it doesn't quite work with one of the posts, so I'm going to save it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk