Audrey Carter and the treasure of Red Devil Dirk

Started by Blondbraid, Tue 16/04/2019 18:08:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

When her boyfriend asked her to join him on a trip to a remote tropical island, Audrey was glad to join him. It seemed like a great deal at the time,
whilst her boyfriend would seek inspiration for his upcoming book on pirates Audrey wold be free to enjoy some relaxation on the local beaches.
But when her boyfriend inexplicably disappears, Audrey is forced to take matters into her own hands and soon realize that in order to find him,
she will have to investigate the legends of a treasure hidden on the island and solve the riddle of the great pirate captain known as Red Devil Dirk.

Audrey Carter and the treasure of Red Devil Dirk is meant to be an adventure game centered on exploration, not only of the surroundings but also the history of the island where the story takes place, a former pirate colony turned into into a struggling tourist trap mainly inspired by my journey to Mexico several years ago. My vision for this game is to create a completely fictional island with a history just as rich and nuanced as one would expect of a real historical place and exploriong the lore and history of it all the way from the first natives setting foot on the island, to the pirates making it their own and clashing with colonial powers, to the contemporary times of the protagonist and her struggle to find out the truth behind the tall tales and legends, but also a story about a strong and willful man hiding away a treasure beyond measure and disappearing along with it, the titular Red Devil Dirk himself.

Durq

Blondbraid

Quote from: Durq on Tue 16/04/2019 19:12:15
Sounds fun! How far along is the game?
Not very far in terms of the game itself being built, but I have most of the story and some of the gameplay mapped out.

Durq

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 16/04/2019 21:17:42
Not very far in terms of the game itself being built, but I have most of the story and some of the gameplay mapped out.

I'll be following this one. How many rooms do you think it will have? I've had a game about conquistadors and treasure swirling around in my mind for a while, so the setting of your game is right up my alley.

morganw

Is Red Devil Dirk and/or his treasure based on any existing story of a person/treasure?

Shadow1000

Looks so awesome that I want to play NOW!!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Durq on Tue 16/04/2019 21:23:30
I'll be following this one. How many rooms do you think it will have? I've had a game about conquistadors and treasure swirling around in my mind for a while, so the setting of your game is right up my alley.
That's great to hear! My last non-MAGS project had about 50 rooms, and I'm aiming for something similar in scope here.
This game will have more focus on pirates than conquistadors, but Roderick Downes will make a small cameo!
Quote from: morganw on Tue 16/04/2019 22:04:44
Is Red Devil Dirk and/or his treasure based on any existing story of a person/treasure?
Well, he isn't based on any one real-life pirate captain, but I took a lot of inspiration from several different persons. The most famous example of a pirate rumored to have hidden treasures is William Kidd and the mystery of Oak Island, some other sources of inspiration were Henry Avery (and yes, I have  played Uncharted 4), "Calico" Jack Rackham , not one but two men nicknamed "Barbarossa" (and they were brothers no less) and Blackbeard. Especially with Blackbeard I took a lot of inspiration when designing the flag of Red Devil Dirk;

My backstory for his name is that as a Scotsman named Dirk, he came to pick the dagger sharing his name as a symbol and signature weapon, but he was also a man of fierce temper and it was known that once he started fighting he would not stop until he was the last man standing. During on particularly intense battle, the rival captain allegedly said that Dirk fought like a man powered by the devil himself and screamed at his men to "Kill the red-headed devil", and thus the nickname "Red Devil Dirk" was coined.
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 16/04/2019 22:48:55

Looks so awesome that I want to play NOW!!
Thank you, I'm glad to have caught your attention, and I hope I can hold it until I'm ready to release the game!

TheFrighter

Is it related to Captain Downes and the Pirate Princess, Blondbraid?
_

Blondbraid

Quote from: TheFrighter on Wed 17/04/2019 18:14:47

Is it related to Captain Downes and the Pirate Princess, Blondbraid?
_
I wouldn't say directly related, it's not a sequel and it's not a story about him, but Roderick will get a small cameo and he has left his mark on the island once Audrey visits it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk