Author Topic: Adult cartoons  (Read 17874 times)

Jack

• Think deviant
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with story design
    • Jack worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Adult cartoons
« Reply #40 on: 17 Sep 2016, 14:34 »
I found this looking for an old Guess the Movie Title film, and have a few to add.

Firstly, I take it no one has mentioned Ghost in the Shell since it's so glaringly obvious, right? The films, the series, even the new prequel is quite unlike anything I've seen.

I recently picked up King of the Hill again too, good stuff. Brickleberry is tons of fun. (OHBOYOHBOYOHBOY!)

Classics include The Critic (achgem!) and Mission Hill.

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Danvzare worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #41 on: 17 Sep 2016, 16:10 »
Considering how old this thread is, it's impossible for Rick and Morty to be in here. So I'm suggesting it here. It's a really REALLY great show. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
    • Mandle worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Mandle worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #42 on: 17 Sep 2016, 16:13 »
GRAVITY FALLS!!!

And...My new obsession from Snarky I believe:

Over The Garden Wall

Haggis

• Cavefish
  • I've made a huge mistake
    • Haggis worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #43 on: 17 Sep 2016, 18:21 »
What about Monkey Dust?

Jack

• Think deviant
    • I can help with story design
    • Jack worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #44 on: 17 Sep 2016, 19:02 »
What about Monkey Dust?

Bit off-topic, but I haven't been able to find any since they busted that grower.

Haggis

• Cavefish
  • I've made a huge mistake
    • Haggis worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #45 on: 25 Sep 2016, 18:36 »
Just saw an advert for something called Son of Zorn... does it count?

EDIT - and here's Monkey Dust - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11iczn_monkey-dust-s01e01-divx-640x352_fun
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2016, 18:39 by Haggis »

« Reply #46 on: 26 Sep 2016, 11:50 »
Technically, studio Laikas movies are stop motion animated, but they are pretty dark and have some very intriguing and nuanced characters.
I especially recommend ParaNorman, a movie about a boy bullied for his ability to speak to the dead. It has an especially dark twist near the end.

I'd also recommend some of Max Fleicher's short movies to anyone interested in animation or vintage.
These shorts were originally made to show before feature-length movies at the cinema and intended for adults,
so they contain lots of weird and surreal imagery and were often pretty fascinating experiments in how far you could play with different shapes and elements in animations.
Here is one example:

« Reply #47 on: 07 Oct 2016, 21:21 »
I recommend The Maxx. Dark and weird escapist cartoons ftw! :)
There should be an adventure game about it too ;)

Those old MTV cartoons were great.  I loved The Head.

Considering how old this thread is, it's impossible for Rick and Morty to be in here. So I'm suggesting it here. It's a really REALLY great show. I'd recommend it to anyone.

It is a fantastic show, and I also recommend it!

La planète sauvage

Time Masters

These were both awesome!  Also, Gandahar.  René Laloux was a genious!  And you can't go wrong working with Moebius!

Technically, studio Laikas movies are stop motion animated, but they are pretty dark and have some very intriguing and nuanced characters.
I especially recommend ParaNorman, a movie about a boy bullied for his ability to speak to the dead. It has an especially dark twist near the end.

I recently saw Kubo in the theater, and I loved it.  I think their style is amazing.

And while they may be intended for children, I found Adventure Time and Steven Universe to both be very enjoyable as an adult.

Retro Wolf

• Analysis Paralysis
    • Retro Wolf worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Retro Wolf worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #48 on: 07 Oct 2016, 21:36 »
I just started Rick and Morty today, not knowing anything about it. For some reason I assumed it was Nickelodeon or Disney's attempt at doing the Regular Show. I didn't realise it was Adult Swim! It's bloody hilarious, very dark humour.