AGS 3.4.0

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 15/09/2016 21:10:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 23/09/2016 17:57:45
Although I have one question. This version seems to be categorized as version 3.4.0, but isn't it technically several versions past that? I have a module (the QueuedSpeech module) which requires "version 3.4.0.3 or higher," and the game will not compile now.

edit: I have commented out the commands in the module that check for the AGS version number and the game compiles fine now. But still, would 3.4.0 be the correct version number?

The full version number of this final release is 3.4.0.12. I've made a mistake in the past by keeping 3.4.0 in WIP state for too long, so people wanting new features were using intermediate alpha & beta releases to make their games.
How does the module check for version? I'd expect it to compile within this release, otherwise there is a bug somewhere, either in AGS or in the module; or maybe it needs some compatibility setting.

Dave Gilbert

The module had this in the header. Before I commented it out, I got the error message that I needed version 3.4.0.3 or higher.

#ifdef AGS_SUPPORTS_IFVER       
#ifver 3.4.0.3                 
#define QueuedSpeech_VERSION 4.0
#define QueuedSpeech_VERSION_400
#endif                         
#endif                         
#ifndef QueuedSpeech_VERSION   
#error QueuedSpeech module error: This module requires AGS version 3.4.0.3 or higher! Please upgrade to a higher version of AGS to use this module.
#endif   

Crimson Wizard

Ah. There is a bug in AGS Editor, it incorrectly compares versions if one of its sections have more digits, like in this case (.3 and .12) - it compares only first digit (3 > 1) and gets incorrect result.

I guess we would need a little patch to 3.4.0.

As a workaround, you may change module check to "#ifver 3.4.0" (without 4th number).

Dave Gilbert

AH! Interesting. Thanks CW.

cat

MiteWiseacreLives!

Very excited about the improvements to custom properties!!
This looks like a sweet version.. Maybe I need to get back to game making (wtf)

Julius Dangerous

BunnyDeFluff

Congratulation and thank you AGS team. The new features are dazzling and  I have no idea about what most of them do because I am new to AGS. Thank you anyway.

Firgof

Man, I've been waiting forever for this version to come out.  Maybe I'll finally get to work on Part 2 of Ouroboros now.

Daniel Thomas

As an artist this is the best update to AGS in a long time. Nice work!
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

monkey0506

Quote from: cat on Fri 23/09/2016 22:32:27
Watch out, Dave, this module has a serious (i.e. game crashing) bug: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=23806.msg636534826#msg636534826

Pushed a bugfix after reading this. Problem only occurs if the currently speaking (in the background) character starts walking while still talking. It was a feature that was prematurely released, but as that was nearly two years ago... well, it's fixed now.

m0ds

Well done CW and team!

Export to Linux? Neat! But has this just put you out of a job monkey0506? ;)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mods on Wed 05/10/2016 10:02:15
Well done CW and team!

Export to Linux? Neat! But has this just put you out of a job monkey0506? ;)
monkey0506 was the one who implemented this export... Or do I misunderstand what you mean?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Charles on Fri 07/10/2016 02:54:19
I'm not sure if this is the right place to write about bugs to this version, but perhaps you could try this and see if you get the same glitch.

Create a default game, lower the resolution to 320 x 180 instead of the default 320 x 200.

Now walk from the bottom to the top of the screen, or the top to the bottom.

In default resolution, the demo game roger walks smoothly. In 320 x 180 resolution mode, he jerks, or hiccups, as he walks. Almost as if he's having trouble pathfinding, or he's pathfinding around an invisible object. It's easily visible if 'movementspeedlinkedtoanimation' is set to false.

Reset the resolution, he walks normally.

Charles, I have a strong suspicion this is because your room background stayed 320x200 and it is scrolling as the character walks.
I've got same effect, but after I did SetViewport(0,0) on the room load, character walks smoothly. Default background is just black, so you do not notice the scroll.

m0ds

oh sorry yes normally pay monkey to port an ags game to linux, kind of asking if this means that's no longer the case (if AGS can do it built in...)

Ali

Is there a way to change the list of available resolutions in the setup? I have a 16:9 monitor, and 1280x720 (which is a resolution I use all the time) isn't in the list.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Ali on Mon 10/10/2016 13:31:53
Is there a way to change the list of available resolutions in the setup? I have a 16:9 monitor, and 1280x720 (which is a resolution I use all the time) isn't in the list.
By "setup" you mean project's general settings, or setup program?

If project, then 1280 x 720 should be there.

If setup program, it gets the list of the resolutions reported by the graphics driver.

Ali

I meant the setup programme. That's interesting, because my list doesn't show 1600x900, 1280x720, both of which I use regularly and are in the list of resolutions I can choose for Windows. They're also also available when I play other games.

As far as I can tell, there aren't any 16:9 resolutions in the setup list, apart from 1920x1080. (1360x768 is there, but it's not quite 16:9).

I can create a 1280x720 game, and set it to run at 'game resolution'. This runs 1280x720 successfully, however when I run setup again, it defaults back to 'desktop resolution'.

Crimson Wizard

I noticed too that Direct3D renderer does not show all the resolutions my monitor supports, but DirectDraw5 does.

Quote from: Ali on Mon 10/10/2016 16:03:02
I can create a 1280x720 game, and set it to run at 'game resolution'. This runs 1280x720 successfully, however when I run setup again, it defaults back to 'desktop resolution'.
Are you sure it runs at 1280x720? Engine tries other resolutions silently if the one you requested does not work. Try pressing Ctrl+V (or Ctrl+Alt+V) in the game to see actual window size.

Ali

I just checked, and it is actually running at 1280x720. Neither Direct Draw 5 nor Direct3D show all the resolutions for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk