BACKGROUND BLITZ: Bridges (Winners announced!)

Started by Hobo, Tue 07/03/2017 20:36:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobo

Bridges

Build me a bridge worthy of crossing.

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/RLMpwBJ.png[/imgzoom]

For this background blitz you need to draw a background with a bridge. It can be an actual bridge, an unexpected makeshift crossing, a nautical bridge or something more metaphorical (like a bridge between nations). In short, if the background has something that can be interpreted as a bridge, I'll allow it. A similar competition was actually held over ten years ago, you may also peek there for inspiration.

Deadline is 31st of March, 2017 (flexible if necessary)

Voting system:
Concept: try to be creative and unique and tell us a visual story
Playability: remember to pay attention to walkable areas, possible hotspots and exit points
Artistic Execution: a little extra effort and polish makes a world of difference

Trophies:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/0zCpY9p.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/JzhaJKa.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/6jFZBQf.png[/imgzoom]

Have fun and be nice to others!

DBoyWheeler

Count me in!

[imgzoom]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/DBoyWheeler/BackgroundBlitzBridges_1.jpg[/imgzoom]

Here's my entry... a "Crystal Bridge".

Maybe it could be part of the plot, maybe near the end, the hero/heroine finds the components he/she needs to magically create the bridge, or repair one ruined for one reason or another.

I myself wouldn't be so cheap as to make the protagonist fall over the edges--though someone else with a sadistic mind might.

Mandle

DBoy, can you hurry up and make a game in your art style? I would totally play a game that looks like this!

Danvzare

Ooh, awesome theme.
If I somehow manage to find the time (which I doubt) I may just enter this. :-D

DBoyWheeler

To Mandle: I was doing an AGS game in my style, but I kinda put it on hold to work on my first commercial game, using RPG Maker 2000 (yeah, it's kinda dated compared to other RPG Makers, but there's still a market for old-school games, right?).

Oh, side note... there was one exception to my not being cheap in my previous AGS game ("Lydia and the Mystery of Nellreno Manor"), but that's only in the ravine screens, not the bridge itself (there were safety things to keep Lydia from going off the bridge).  The falling into the ravine is if you deliberately decide to go over the edge, so... at least there's no precarious stepping one step at a time (I'm looking at YOU, King's Quests IV and VI).

Anyway, looking forward to more backgrounds.

Mouth for war

Well it's not a conventional bridge perhaps but still function as one :D

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Danvzare

Looks like a screenshot straight out of a game. :-D
Awesome work there Mouth for war.

Mouth for war

Thanks a lot :-D Well it is actually but i was working on that bg yesterday and although it's not finished yet (scrolling image 2048 * 1536) I thought at least that part was finished.If this breaks any rules for this competition I'm sorry and you can just ignore this as an entry :-)

DBoyWheeler

So far so good.  Er, a little extra comment on my own entry.  I was at one point gonna make it so the character would be walking the tightrope, but then decided otherwise.

ThreeOhFour

I really like this theme, great subject that called lots of images to mind.

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/vpGbiw4.png[/imgzoom]

Mouth for war

Ohh..really nice work there...you big show off ;-D No but seriously, it's a great piece man!!! :-D

Blondbraid

"You know what? I don't think the evil wizard's doomsday weapon hidden in the castle can be all that bad. I'm sure it'll be just fine. We don't really have to cross that bridge, do we?"

Mouth for war

DBoyWheeler

@ThreeOhFour: For some reason, it reminds me of the Realm of the Dead in King's Quest VI (only difference I can see is RotD is permanent night, and this has daylight).  Still, very neat!

@Blondbraid: REALLY good here--especially like the hot elf chick!

Danvzare

If this was a spiriting contest, I think Blondbraid would win by default with that hot elf chick. (laugh)
Not just because she's a hot elf chick though, but because she is incredibly well drawn.

Monsieur OUXX

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mouth for war on Sun 12/03/2017 16:40:00
Also a really fine piece of art :-)
Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Sun 12/03/2017 17:48:00
@ThreeOhFour: For some reason, it reminds me of the Realm of the Dead in King's Quest VI (only difference I can see is RotD is permanent night, and this has daylight).  Still, very neat!

@Blondbraid: REALLY good here--especially like the hot elf chick!
Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 13/03/2017 10:07:46
If this was a spiriting contest, I think Blondbraid would win by default with that hot elf chick. (laugh)
Not just because she's a hot elf chick though, but because she is incredibly well drawn.
Thank you, how fun that you liked it! The elf was something I took from a previous picture I made, and I just wanted to add a character for scale. I do hope the elf doesn't distract from the bridge too much!

Hobo

Great stuff, everyone! Four entries in just one week is certainly more than I hoped for and I'm glad that people seem to enjoy the theme.
Also, if someone is still hesitating to participate, then I added trophies to the first post for some extra motivation :)

Creamy

@DBoyWheeler : a crystal bridge? That reminds me of Kyrandia 2 :)

@Mouth for War : detailed, clean and cute. Maybe you could use some more contrasted colours for the rocks and trees.

@304 : the master of yellowish atmosphere is back! Your pictures are always a treat for the eye.
@Blondbraid : lovely, my new desktop wallpaper . Quite different from your usual style too.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Creamy on Fri 17/03/2017 16:18:48
@DBoyWheeler : a crystal bridge? That reminds me of Kyrandia 2 :)

Never realized that similarity till you told me... might need to see some screenshots of Kyrandia 2 to know the specific locale.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk