Drawing simple runic glyphs on screen with cursor

Started by strangeDetective, Thu 23/03/2017 22:23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

strangeDetective

Hoping someone more experienced with scripting might be able to give me some suggestions or pointers here...

Was looking into making a puzzle which would require the player to draw something on screen [with a magic wand selected from inventory, for example], like a simple runic glyph.

The drawing would be over some kind of object or hotspot on screen. If you remember the part in the Hobbit where Gandalf draws the rune on Bilbo's front door, and then the Dwarves show up, that's along the lines of what I'm thinking.

For example, if the player selects a magic wand from their inventory, then draws a runic glyph somewhere on screen - then the game checks to see if the rune was the correct configuration, and triggers an event if it matches.

I don't know if it's possible that AGS could be manipulated to understand if you drew the correct runic shape or not.

Admittedly this is something that's way over my head, but am posting in case someone knows of something similar that's been done here that I could look at or attempt to modify.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!:)

Mandle

I would probably do it by setting up a bunch of hotspots that the mouse must traverse in the correct order while the left mouse button is being pressed (assuming the player must hold the button to draw). I would make the hotspots quite large to account for different people's drawing styles/skills (this would probably take some fiddling/group testing to get the size just right).

There are surely many other ways but this is how I would probably approach it as it requires the least hardcore coding ;)

Crimson Wizard

There was a module or plugin for that! But I cannot remember how it was called, nor find it on forums.
I remember testing cat's game where you had to draw japanese letters with mouse.

EDIT: Here, something that MAY be it:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=26922.0
(not 100% sure)

strangeDetective

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 23/03/2017 22:55:09
There was a module or plugin for that! But I cannot remember how it was called, nor find it on forums.
I remember testing cat's game where you had to draw japanese letters with mouse.

EDIT: Here, something that MAY be it:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=26922.0
(not 100% sure)

Thanks I tried the EXE demo "child of the moon" and it's pretty close to what I'm thinking, but was unable to get the sample module and demo game to load in the latest version of AGS. It gives me a message saying it was saved with an earlier version and cannot be loaded using the current version.

I'm guessing I would have to install an earlier build of AGS to examine the code used to create the Mouse Gesture recognition. But if anyone knows of any other examples I could look at please let me know :)

strangeDetective

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 23/03/2017 22:37:04
I would probably do it by setting up a bunch of hotspots that the mouse must traverse in the correct order while the left mouse button is being pressed (assuming the player must hold the button to draw). I would make the hotspots quite large to account for different people's drawing styles/skills (this would probably take some fiddling/group testing to get the size just right).

There are surely many other ways but this is how I would probably approach it as it requires the least hardcore coding ;)

Thanks I kind of had an idea it could be done like that, it's the hardcore coding that stumps me I'm not that advanced at understanding it, so hoping maybe to find that someone has done something similar, and try to modify it.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: strangeDetective on Fri 24/03/2017 13:21:42
I'm guessing I would have to install an earlier build of AGS to examine the code used to create the Mouse Gesture recognition. But if anyone knows of any other examples I could look at please let me know :)
I think you need to load it in AGS 2.72 (link available at download page), save, and then open in current version.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk