PLUGIN: SpriteVideo v0.9.7 (sprite and video render), based on Direct3D plugin

Started by Crimson Wizard, Fri 08/07/2022 19:34:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

I was doing an experiment of supporting audio playback in this plugin. This requires some also experimental, although relatively minor changes to the engine too, because I wanted the plugin to use standard engine's audio output instead of having its own.
This is achieved by exposing "audio player" interface in plugin API. The experimental draft may be seen here:
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/pull/2256

The test game that I quickly made up with two tiny pieces from "Lawrence of Arabia" movie (because I was too lazy searching for any suitable ogv files).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8vljxe5m3znji9/test--videoaudio.zip?dl=0

As may be seen in the demo, two videos may be played at the room background by pressing buttons on GUI. They are played with sound, and may play simultaneously. The game keeps working while the videos play (cursor moves, buttons are clickable, character may be walked around).

There's a strange issue where a number of last video frames is not rendered, videos got stuck at some point. From the first glance this is not a desynchronization, but actually frames not advancing or not drawn. They are present in original files.

Vincent

@Crimson Wizard
First off, I am sorry for the late response, I didn't had much time to login in these days. Anyway don't worry, I know you guys are very busy fixing the engine stuff, so that's fine really. Indeed, I wanted to thank you for spending time on this plugin.

I downloaded the demo and everything is so beautiful, I'm very happy that now we can hear the audio from the video, this was one of the most important things (because on the old version you had to start the audio separately and sometimes it was difficult to synchronize the audio with the video) so for me this is a big one feature achieved along with the interactions with buttons while the video is playing, also having multiple videos playing at the same time is truly amazing, thank you very much, I am really happy!!

In the near future I will try to do also some tests on Android too to see if everything goes fine and I'll let you know.

Before you did this work on this plugin, I was trying to do the same "kind of test game" on Unity and basically now this plugin its working as Unity do, the only exception is that over there you have a chance to pause the video, in this state of the plugin is there a way to do that? If not then that isn't a big deal but if we could then I think it would be cool. Still thanks a lot for everything I really appreciated!!

Crimson Wizard

To be honest, I do not think this audio support will be added in 3.6.1 version. Previously I had a thought that it may be, but time have passed, and now I'd rather like to finalize 3.6.1 as soon as possible, and move on. This addition that lets plugin play sounds through the engine is formally working, but there is a number of issues, both in design and technical, which have to be resolved to make it stable and convenient in a long run. So, this will be likely added to AGS 4, or another minor update after 3.6.1, if there will be one at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk