Game Pitch Competition - Round 4: "Son of a Pitch" (RESULTS)

Started by Snarky, Wed 25/07/2018 08:48:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for your favorite entry

1. Lockdown
1 (5.9%)
2. Small Pockets
2 (11.8%)
3. Rodric Downes and the Pirate-Princess
1 (5.9%)
4. What A Feeling!
0 (0%)
5. Major Arcana
4 (23.5%)
6. Cliffhung
3 (17.6%)
7. Mulled
3 (17.6%)
8. Two Strings Attached
1 (5.9%)
9. The Professor
1 (5.9%)
10. [Untitled]
0 (0%)
11. A Hard Nut to Crack
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: Sun 19/08/2018 12:24:49

Riaise

Quote from: Durinde on Mon 20/08/2018 17:25:22
Major Arcana: My entry. I had't considered the similarities to Loom as another poster mentioned. I also think the game needs antagonists. I've been thinking about adding a rival element of a shady character trying to grab the cards before you do.
See, I don't think it does need antagonists. To me it sounds more like it should be about Bree fighting her own demons after her life has spiralled out of control, rather than being a race against time to find the cards before someone else. The challenge comes from Bree herself having the courage to hunt for the cards and the natural obstacles that stand in her way. At least, that's how I imagined it when I read the pitch.

Cassiebsg

+1. I totally agree with Riase... had you put that in the pitch and I would have voted for Mulled. ;)
I don't think it needs any antagonists, the character is already motivated to find the cards and see what other powers they might have.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Durinde

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 22/08/2018 17:49:07
+1. I totally agree with Riase... had you put that in the pitch and I would have voted for Mulled. ;)
I don't think it needs any antagonists, the character is already motivated to find the cards and see what other powers they might have.

I get the concern and honestly I had no thoughts about antagonists when I wrote the initial pitch. Everything is pure theory at this point, so it's great to see people's perspective on what they envisioned the game to be.

cat

I made entry 11. I wonder if votes had been different if people didn't try to guess the author beforehand.

On another note: Play Detective Grimoire if you haven't done it yet. It's a flash game, should take less than one hour and you can play it for free here:
https://armorgames.com/play/200/detective-grimoire

Snarky

Yeah, that's why I encouraged people to refrain from speculating about the identities behind the entries. Maybe we should do away with the guessing game after the contest so people don't focus on this question?

On the other hand, as I recall there were no votes in the last few days of the contest before Cassiebsg's (note for next time: one week for voting is plenty), so I wouldn't think it affected the outcome in this case.

I watched a video of Detective Grimoire and liked the madlib-style "parser" control, so I might give it a shot.

Stupot

Yeah, I'm not really into the guessing game either. It's not really fun unless you know who all of the entrants are.

Snarky

Well, if people want to continue it, we could post a list of participants when the voting is over.

Should we take a break, or are you all ready for another round to start soon?

roughsleeper

Hey all. I wrote Small Pockets and voted for Cliffhung as Movies are really my kind of thing.
As soon as I read the pitch, I envisioned hundreds of story threads waving about like loose film from a spool searching for a relevant partner.
Major Arcana would have been my second vote as it was the most solid pitch. Someone just suggested an antagonist, yet I feel the cards themselves are not wanting to be found, which makes them the antagonists. Finding them all possibly leads you to a family reunion where they all bicker maybe?

Anyways, it's great to stetch the brain like this.
Still getting used to AGS and not much time, but I'll be around Gals n Guys.

Stupot

I'm always up for another round. When we have enough of these we could hold a MAGS where the theme is to make a game based on one of these pitches :-)

Snarky

That's all the entries identified, then:

1. Lockdown - Stupot
2. Small Pockets - roughsleeper
3. Rodric Downes and the Pirate-Princess - Blondbraid
4. What A Feeling! - CaptainD
5. Major Arcana - Durinde
6. Cliffhung - Mandle
7. Mulled - Snarky
8. Two Strings Attached - tzachs
9. The Professor - Bulbapuck
10. [Untitled] - JudasFm
11. A Hard Nut to Crack - cat

Thanks for participating, everybody. It was fun!

Since there's some appetite for another round, I'll go ahead and start a new thread. This time around I'll also try tweaking the rules a little...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk