Game pitch competition, existential twist edition, vote now!

Started by Andail, Tue 26/06/2018 17:04:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for your favourite game pitch

1 (7.7%)
4 (30.8%)
0 (0%)
3 (23.1%)
5 (38.5%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Tue 10/07/2018 19:46:47

Andail

Snarky is correct about which contribution was mine.

Also, this round saw half the activity of previous rounds. Was it the theme that ruined it, or have we run too many of these in too short time? Any thoughts here?

Mandle

So:

#1: Andail
#2: Snarky
#3: Mandle
#4: Gurok
#5: Stupot
#6: CaptainD

(Sorry for my misdirection but CaptainD saying that he got no votes put me in a unique position I could not ignore the fun of...)

Mandle

Quote from: Andail on Wed 11/07/2018 13:50:13
Was it the theme that ruined it?

I wouldn't say it "ruined" it but it might be best to not have such a theme as people might have limited time/ideas to pitch and may feel intimidated if there is a theme they should try to obey.

Stupot

I can confirm Mine was number 5. Thanks for the votes.

Mandle

Gurok

Hmmmm... you're right, Mantle. #4 is mine. Was it existential enough?
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Snarky

Congratulations, Stupot! You had my vote. And I'm curious to know which one you were referring to with this:

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 05/07/2018 23:53:28
Voted. The one I voted for is a really good idea. Make it, whoever you are. (nod)

For all of you:

Quote from: Gurok on Fri 06/07/2018 01:09:05
#2. I'm interested in the mystery surrounding the main character, but as with all of these, it might be a bit too dark. I really like the idea of using DeepDream for art.
Quote from: dactylopus on Fri 06/07/2018 03:01:02
I voted for #2.  Seems the most out of the ordinary, and I'd be interested in seeing how it was accomplished.
Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 06/07/2018 11:58:58
I voted for 2, since it felt like the most intriguing one to me, but I had a very hard time deciding between that and number 5.
Quote from: Mandle on Wed 11/07/2018 14:17:47
I voted for #2 so :P

Thanks for your votes! ;)

My pitch was an idea I've had for a long time â€" longer than I've been around on the AGS Forums. It comes from a class in Game Design I took in college, back in 2003, where one of the assignments was to create and DM a single-session tabletop RPG. So I have it worked out to a fairly significant extent, with a storyline, setting, characters/enemies and puzzles. I kept all my notes, and in the years since I've kicked the idea around from time to time, coming up with new elements and adapting it to work better as a single-player computer game (mainly by combining elements of the player characters' backstories and arcs into one composite) and as an adventure game, but it's still fundamentally the same concept. The DeepDream graphics idea is a recent inspiration, obviously.

To Gurok's comment, yeah, one of the reasons I'm not that keen to ever actually make it is that it is horrendously, almost absurdly dark. (The details in the pitch are nothing near the worst of it.) Another is that a few years later Gemini Rue did a lot of the things I was thinking about, and did them really well.

Was it the theme that ruined it, or have we run too many of these in too short time? Any thoughts here?

I think it just made it tougher for people who maybe already had come up with an idea, and then couldn't use it. (I was lucky that my pool of ideas already included something that fit the theme pretty well.) I suppose it depends on whether it's a competition about brainstorming the best concept, or pitching concepts most effectively.

As for the frequency, it's been less then one round per month, and the barrier to entry is quite low, so I don't really think that's a big factor.

Stupot

Thanks, Snarky. I voted for number 4. I really liked Gurok's idea that the player might be able to choose what memories to take forward. A little bit like Resonance in a way.

My idea was a new one. I wanted to put twist on a familiar idea (rather than the story itself having a plot twist) so I took the age old ‘is there a God?' and changed it to ‘am I God?' I thought it hadn't been done before but I've since remembered Bruce Almighty kind of has that going on.

Admittedly my pitch was light on gameplay mechanics. This could have easily been a TV or movie pitch (and I'm tempted to write a spec pilot script around it)

By the way, thanks for that link about Christina the Astonishing, Snarky. Was an interesting read.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Gurok on Wed 11/07/2018 14:48:24
#4 is mine. Was it existential enough?

For me is yeah, Gurok! This is a game that I'd love to play! At least make a demo...

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 11/07/2018 15:48:05
I took the age old ‘is there a God?' and changed it to ‘am I God?' I thought it hadn't been done before but I've since remembered Bruce Almighty kind of has that going on.

Well, not really. In Bruce Almighty he knows that he is God. He has been made God by God Himself. The idea of a character trying to figure out if he is God or not sounds great for a TV series! It has the possibility to be a comedy, a drama, or a bit of both. Some horror is also possible.

And the whole thing is already a mystery story!

Just as long as there's no mysterious set of numbers cropping up everywhere which are never addressed then how can you go wrong?!

dactylopus

Was it the theme that ruined it, or have we run too many of these in too short time? Any thoughts here?

For me, the theme.  Also, very short windows of entry has hindered my ability to participate.

Creamy

QuoteI took the age old ‘is there a God?' and changed it to ‘am I God?' I thought it hadn't been done before but I've since remembered Bruce Almighty kind of has that going on.
Well, not really. In Bruce Almighty he knows that he is God. He has been made God by God Himself. The idea of a character trying to figure out if he is God or not sounds great for a TV series! It has the possibility to be a comedy, a drama, or a bit of both. Some horror is also possible.
It reminds me of a comic called Chninkel. The hero is a slave wondering if he's been chosen by God to accomplish a prophecy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk