The Goat Crone by The Outer Zone
6 (33.3%)
Cornelius Cat in: How the Cat Saved Christmas by Cat
8 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: Thu 17/01/2019 06:07:35

Stupot

Voting is over and we have a winner.

Congratulations, Cat. And thanks for bringing Cornelius back.

Santa and the Orphanage by Slasher

Topic: 'Christmas'
set by Slasher and Mikeg.

....Maybe to make it more interesting:  There are three choices of how to make your game:
1) Saving Christmas,  2) Avoiding Christmas,  3) Stealing Christmas.

We have to keep the festive season alive (laugh)

Deadline December 31st

Slasher

Seeing as I helped decide the topic I am still going to enter...  But which?

This idea came to me a few moments ago which I suppose decides my choice:

"Mayor, Ebeneezer Grinch has cut Christmas funding for the Wayward childrens' Orphanage and so they are relying on public donations.  Santa said he would be more than happy to give the children presents and Christmas dinner this year, much to the dismay of Mayor, Ebeneezer Grinch."

The Outer Zone

Christmas huh?..... okay I'm in :-D

I'll find a clever way to continue my Tales From The Outer Zone series on this topic..
It can surely be done... somehow..
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

Kini

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted on these forums in several months (not that I was ever much of a regular here). Life got busy, but now I think I have it under control again, so I plan to start taking part in MAGS regularly, starting with this one :)

My initial idea (which remains subject to change) involves 'saving' the Nativity play at a primary school. The kid playing the donkey has called in sick, so you - the drama teacher - must play the part yourself, which means fashioning a makeshift donkey costume.

Anyway, I hope you're all doing well!

Cassiebsg

Nice, if I find the motivation to make some nice characters I'll be in, since I already have a story with puzzles (with I entered in the 2nd pitch competition). (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

HanaIndiana

I'm going to give it a shot! I've been wanting to learn how PAMELA/lip sync works, and snarky has a nice looking module.
I have a story idea... now I just need some puzzles to go with it.

VampireWombat

I've given enough thought that I can safely say I will be trying to make an elf based game inspired by games like The Lost Vikings, Gobliins, and Puzzle Bots.

The Outer Zone

Good to see so many people joining in once more :)

My game will portray a dark christmas. Taking place in the late 1800s. A small family in the woods.
And a yule demon.

Slasher

Looks like Christmas MAG may draw another bunch of entrants (nod)

Durinde

Won't be doing anything this month due to personal obligations, but I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with!

cat

Nice topic, but I'm not sure I have time to enter. Let's see ;)

Slasher

Hi

I have listed all the elements for my game...

It will be family friendly...well, seeing as it's Christmas...

I have drawn all the rooms and have started adding their elements...

The game takes place in Santa's workshop...

On schedule...

Ho ho ho (laugh)

VampireWombat

The name Ebeneezer Grinch makes me want to see a Dr. Seuss version of The Christmas Carol. Will there at least be Dr. Seuss style rhyming?

As for my game, I have a base gui made and base programming for the buttons on it. Next step is making some elves.

cat

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 06/12/2018 13:14:22
Will there at least be Dr. Seuss style rhyming?

Who knows? I have bought some crafting supplies and cotton wool and the puzzles are also planned out - which means: I'm in!

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Thu 06/12/2018 19:09:28
Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 06/12/2018 13:14:22
Will there at least be Dr. Seuss style rhyming?

Who knows? I have bought some crafting supplies and cotton wool and the puzzles are also planned out - which means: I'm in!

Potential Cornelius Cat sequel?!

cat

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 07/12/2018 15:18:42
Potential Cornelius Cat sequel?!
Now that MAGS allows pre-existing content, this is the purrfect opportunity.

HanaIndiana

Nice cat!
I'm feeling motivated to try some hand drawn stuff, so it would be fun to have a mix of art this month. Assuming my scanner still works once I pull it out of the garage. :tongue:

cat

In case the scanner does not work: Simply use a normal digital camera (maybe even the one from your phone will do). It might require a bit more post processing (trimming and color adjustments) but I'd really like to see your hand drawn backgrounds.

The Outer Zone

I am running a tight schedule as always, but I'm on track so far. Here is a little sneak peak of my game "The Goat Crone".

The background for the first scene:

VampireWombat

Looks nice. I should probably actually create my first background soon...

Kini

I like that background, The Outer Zone. Good stuff  :)

I'm also on track. I might even have time to add a couple of extra puzzles to my game (which is currently very short). I may post my backgrounds later, when I'm home.

Cassiebsg

I'm "dropping" out, as I won't be able to make the BGs and characters before going on vacation.  :-\

But I won't leave empty handed... here's the player character:

Kini

Here's one of my backgrounds - the school staff room.

Slasher

Santa and the orphanage

"Mayor, Ebeneezer Grinch has cut Christmas funding for the Wayward children's Orphanage and so they are relying on public donations. Santa said he would be more than happy to give the children presents and Christmas dinner this year, much to the dismay of Mayor, Ebeneezer Grinch. So, Mayor Grinch has sent his henchmen to Santa's workshop to ruin the orphanage's Christmas!"

2 click interface.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2311/

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2311/

Ho ho ho

Please PM of any issues..

The Outer Zone

Sad to hear people are dropping out.. but I totally understand. Making a game in December is pretty tough  8-0
I'm struggling to get done before the holidays myself. But I think I'll just make it  :)

Here are my character portraits:

Alma - the player character.

Papa

VampireWombat

I've resisted the urge to drop out by changing to something hopefully more fun. I have most of the story planned out and most of the base code for the verb coin figured out.
I will be attempting a Massimo and Twitch game again. I'm going with a DoTT/Sam and Max style and using a context sensitive verb coin built upon the BASS template.
Santa is missing and elves hire Massimo to find him. Twitch joins along because he has nothing better to do. I'll try to have more to share in the next couple of days.

The Outer Zone

My game might be released tomorrow if everything goes well.. maybe the day after.. but hopefully before Christmas.

By the way, I am doing this game full time. I got some money for artistic development, so I spent it on this game.
So actually spend 15 work days on it, and not just doing it on the side.

cat

Lucky you! Besides work and a very active toddler it's difficult to find time for working on the game. Let's see how much I can get done.

The Outer Zone

Here is my entry:

The Goat Crone
An occult Christmas tale of family love and dark rituals.

Get it here:
https://theouterzone.itch.io/the-goat-crone

Alma has to prepare the yule ham while her father is out in the forest.
But the nightmarish myth of The Goat Crone haunts her and her baby brother.

Feedback is much appreciated.
I will probably make a new version in the coming year.
Enjoy  :)

VampireWombat

Nice. Congratulations on finishing.

I was hoping to have a version complete before Christmas, but doesn't look like that's happening. But I might be able to share some images later today or sometime tomorrow.

Kini

Nice one, Slasher and The Outer Zone. I look forward to playing your games soon.

I haven't been able to work on mine for the past week, annoyingly, but I'll have it ready before the month's up.

Kini

Hey The Outer Zone,

I just started playing The Goat Crone and was enjoying it, but the game crashed on me. Here's what I did to cause it, along with the error report that followed:

Spoiler
I had just escaped through the secret passage in the cliff face when I clicked on the bushes to try heading back.

The message said: "Error: prepare_script: error-18 (no such function in script). Trying to run hBushes_Interact (Room 4)."

Maybe you just never clicked the ellipsis in the property grid to link up with your code for interacting with the bushes?
[close]

I'll give full feedback once I've finished the game.

cat

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 23/12/2018 14:55:51
I was hoping to have a version complete before Christmas, but doesn't look like that's happening. But I might be able to share some images later today or sometime tomorrow.

Same here. My game is playable from start to finish but it is sadly not in a state where I want to release it. Rest assured, though, that I will release something before the month is over!

Shadow1000

Quote from: The Outer Zone on Sun 23/12/2018 14:07:36
Here is my entry:

The Goat Crone
An occult Christmas tale of family love and dark rituals.

Get it here:
https://theouterzone.itch.io/the-goat-crone

Alma has to prepare the yule ham while her father is out in the forest.
But the nightmarish myth of The Goat Crone haunts her and her baby brother.

Feedback is much appreciated.
I will probably make a new version in the coming year.
Enjoy  :)

WOW! I was REALLY enjoying this game. The graphics and environment are OUTSTANDING! Unfortunately, it crashed and the game was over. :(

Here's the error I encountered:
error -18
hBushes_Interact in Room 4

I hope you can solve this! I'm willing to try again...

The Outer Zone

@Kini and @Shadow1000: thank you so much for writing about that crash!! It should be fixed now.
And thanks for all your kind words  :)

VampireWombat

I may make some refinements if I have the time, but here's a preview of Massimo outside of his office.

[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/yyCN.png[/imgzoom]

TheFrighter

An italian mouse, VampireWombat?  :-D

_

VampireWombat

VampireWombat

Sadly, I've realized there's simply not enough time to make my game as wanted. So I'm having to cut out several things. I should be able to finish any remaining backgrounds and sprites tomorrow. Most likely the only animation will be walkcycles for Twitch and Massimo. I also won't be able to take full advantage of the context sensitive interface, but I will still be leaving it in.

How's everyone else's games going?

cat

AGS Puppet Theatre proudly presents

Cornelius Cat in: How the Cat Saved Christmas

Someone was naughty and stole the Christmas decoration! Now it is up to Cornelius and Mortimer to bring it back and save Christmas.

Meet old and new characters, enjoy Dr. Seuss style rhymes and solve festive puzzles in a cotton wool landscape.

F5 to save
F6 to restore
Ctrl+q to quit

Download here

The game is a sequel to Cornelius Cat in: The Uncontrollable Pest. However, the games are independent and you don't have to play one to enjoy the other (although you are highly encouraged to try it if you enjoy this game :))

Most of the assets were newly created for this MAGS, only the characters and the stage frame (in a modified version) were reused.
Oh, and in case you are wondering: The pie was baked from cookie dough and the icicles were made from a PET bottle ;)

I hope you all had a great holiday!

Kini

I hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to finish my game and I'm not going to be able to this time around.

Good luck to everyone who's still in the contest. I look forward to playing all your games.

VampireWombat

Alas, I must drop out. 

Good luck to everyone who finished their games.

Shadow1000

I have a question before voting starts:

The topic for this month is "Christmas". But in the post it adds: "...Maybe to make it more interesting:  There are three choices of how to make your game".

I am not clear if those three choices are intended to be requirements for the competition or just some suggestions. The entries were all fun to play but part of my voting criteria is how closely the entry is related to the theme.

Thank you

Stupot

The contest is officially over. Thanks to everyone who took part, even if you didn't quite manage to finish something. I have to wait until I'm in a better position time-wise in order to set up the voting, but please start playing the game and thinking about your favourite. Expect the poll some time in the next day.

@Shadow: Slasher or Mikeg May want to chime in but I would take those three points as mere prompts, based on the word ‘maybe'

Slasher

Yes, it was a prompt towards choices of how to present the game...

But what is done is done ;)

Good luck to everyone...

Stupot

Voting for MAGS December is now open.
You'll have two weeks to choose your favourite.
Vote using the poll above.

Cassiebsg

Okay, got all three.  :-D

But <nitpick mode> why does clicking on the image zooms the picture instead of providing download link? I usually always click the image as it's easier than hitting the link...  (roll) </nitpick mode>

Good job everyone and I'm looking forward to try all entries.  (nod)

Chicky

Great entries this month! I *really* enjoyed The Goat Crone, lovely pacing and logical puzzles. That ending was ace, an impressive amount of animations and polish in there too - another great game from The Outer Zone. How the Cat Saved Christmas was lovely, very charming :) I also enjoyed the amount of work that went into Santa and the Orphanage. Good work all!

Shadow1000

Here are my comments on the games:

Spoiler

- Fit the theme well.
- I enjoyed the Christmas music!
[close]

Spoiler
What really stands out about this game is the graphics and environment. It's more about the story and setting than about puzzles and that was done well. The theme was only a sidebar
[close]

Spoiler
Absolutely delightful! LOVABLE puppet characters! The idea is just so creative. The icicle puzzle was a lot of fun and also very creative. Completely about Christmas so it fits the theme well
[close]

My vote went to
Spoiler
The Goat Crone. I feel that the graphics and mood that it sets are just so well done that it deserves it. It's not often that I feel so drawn into a game. That forest art is AWESOME!
[close]

Well done

cat

Spoiler

It was a cute game in typical Slasher style. The music and story and colourful graphics gave my nice Christmas vibes and it was fitting the given topic.
It thought it was funny that in this game the star of the tree was missing as well  :) .
I didn't quite like the automatic inventory, I think picking an inventory item yourself and using it on a hotspot adds interactivity. I was terrible at catching those falling items  :P
[close]

Spoiler

The graphics, animations and atmosphere (very fitting background music) were outstanding. The setting and story were good, the puzzles average with the pond puzzle a nice addition.
I was disappointed by the ending. The MAGS topic was met only so-so.
[close]

My vote
Spoiler

After playing The Goat Crone I didn't like being in this dark mood from the game and the unsatisfying ending, when it was actually Christmas. So I played Slasher's game again, just to get into a better mood.
That's why I voted for Santa and the Orphanage, because I enjoyed it better overall.
[close]

Slasher

Cat

Spoiler

Cat: I didn't quite like the automatic inventory, I think picking an inventory item yourself and using it on a hotspot adds interactivity.
Thought I would just try it...
[close]

The Outer Zone

Happy new year everyone.

Thanks for your kind comments everyone! I expect to make more games in the series this year.

I will play the other two games asap and leave my comments and my vote.

@Cat

Spoiler

Yeah, my game does not exactly look like a Christmas game.. I had to implement the theme in a subtle way, as it had to fit the world of the game. I decided to go for my own version of the old Scandinavian heathen yule traditions instead. The game is a part of a series, so the ending might seem quite strange if you have not played Cyborg Seppuku - the first game. Thanks for your kind comments about the art and music :)
[close]

The Outer Zone

Wow. Playing Christmas games in January feels strange - but I enjoyed them nonetheless :D
Here are my thoughts.

Spoiler

This game put me in a mood for Christmas.. even in January :D
Not a fan of the auto-items, but the game worked nonetheless.
[close]

Spoiler

Really charming little game. Good looking game and a great choice of using felt puppets
for a Christmas game.
[close]

My vote goes to:
Spoiler

The game was a nice little present wrapped in great looks, charming rhymes
and a feel good Christmas spirit.
[close]

Blondbraid

My thoughts on the entries:

Spoiler
It was a simple fun game, but the section outside the workshop at the end was incredibly laggy when I played and it took all the fun out of what would otherwise have been a good minigame.
[close]
Spoiler
The game had a good story and great graphics alongside some good puzzles, but the Christmas theme was only a minor background element and the ending just felt like a random cliffhanger that made little sense unless you have played Cyborg Seppuku first.
[close]
Spoiler
Apart from some frustrating trial and error with the icicle puzzle, it was a really cute and wholesome game with a nice handcrafted look to everything.
[close]

I voted for:
Spoiler
[close]

Stupot

Thanks for the votes so far. Now's The chance to get yours in if you haven't so far.

Slightly different topic.
I'll be opening up a MAGGIES thread as soon as we have a winner for December.
Does anyone have any suggestions/requests/problems with how we did it last year (if you can remember)? I'm thinking of maybe ditching the points system and just getting everyone to choose their top 3 in any order and counting the votes that way.

Cheers.

Stupot

Voting is over and we have a winner.

Congratulations, Cat. And thanks for bringing Cornelius back.

Blondbraid

Shadow1000

Slasher

cat

Wow, thanks! I didn't expect that, and the results show that the other games got many deserved votes as well.
I hope that Kini and VampireWombat will finish their games for next Christmas.

I'll try to come up with an inspiring theme for February.

The Outer Zone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk