RunAGSGame Use

Started by cdavenport, Wed 12/12/2018 15:42:03

Previous topic - Next topic

cdavenport

I have a dilemma, I'm approaching the closing chapters of a fairly large AGS game, and I know the final chapters will exceed the 2GB sprite file size.

I've begun designing in AGS 3.5.0, which eliminates the limits but as it's only a WIP, I have no idea when a stable version will be available, or know if something will be done that would break the game just as I'm about to finish it after years of working on it.
My thought was to make the final chapter as separate stand-alone executable, which can be launched from within the game when the player reaches the finale. Or linked in some other way.

When I look at the "RunAGSGame" commands it says: Bear in mind that because the games must be in the same folder, they will also share the audio.vox, speech.vox and so forth. This is a limitation of this command.

Does this mean that if I wanted to use this command to launch the final chapter within the game, that both of the games in the same folder would share the same sprite file as well, so I still wouldn't get around the 2GB limitation?

Is there a different way to launch an entirely new game from within a game, so there's a sense of continuation? Any help or information of a workable solution to this that I can investigate would be much appreciated!

Crimson Wizard

As far as I know only separate file packs such as audio and speech are shared (which is rather a design oversight imo), the internal resources like sprites and rooms are not. But maybe there is some solution for the voxes as well.

I recall Radiant was using RunAGSGame to create a launcher for several games in a bundle. You could ask him for details.

One warning I have to make, this command was not used very much in the past and there may be some problems in latest versions that went unnoticed.

cdavenport

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 12/12/2018 16:37:48
As far as I know only separate file packs such as audio and speech are shared (which is rather a design oversight imo), the internal resources like sprites and rooms are not. But maybe there is some solution for the voxes as well.

I recall Radiant was using RunAGSGame to create a launcher for several games in a bundle. You could ask him for details.

One warning I have to make, this command was not used very much in the past and there may be some problems in latest versions that went unnoticed.
Thanks CW I'll check into that. I'm mainly looking for possibilities to get around this. I would prefer to use just the new engine but in that thread you warned "I am ready to fix errors as soon as they are noticed, but since some changes may potentially break game project (making it unusable) my STRONGEST ADVISE is to make a full backup of your game whenever you install a new update of this WIP version."

I'm not sure what you meant by that a possible change can break the game project, does that mean there's a chance of the game being irreversibly ruined, if you're using the new engine while it's still a WIP?

I make full backups of everything everyday, but I don't want to do something that would take a chance of loosing everything if something goes awry with AGS 3.5.0. So trying to work out the safest way to proceed.

Khris

It simply means you make a copy of your game folder and open the copy with 3.5.
Opening your 3.3 or whatever game files with 3.5 and saving them will update the game files to 3.5's format, potentially ruining them, yes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk