AGS Awards 2018 - Results!

Started by cat, Sat 05/01/2019 13:28:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

Congratulations to all the nomenees. There are a couple games I haven't played yet. I guess I know what I have to do now.  ;-D

Stupot

Most of the nominees are commercial games. I wonder if the devs might be persuaded to offer a little discount or something for anyone wanting to play all the games in order to vote.

Click'd

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 17/02/2019 02:15:45
Most of the nominees are commercial games. I wonder if the devs might be persuaded to offer a little discount or something for anyone wanting to play all the games in order to vote.
There were several huge sales just now. Winter, Chinese New Year, what have you. People interested in these games had their chances regardless of nomination status.

What I'm trying to say here is that the usual peddlers of gaming software need some time to approve of sales or something.

Stupot

It was merely a suggestion to potentially increase voters. I believe it was suggested in the past and one or two devs took up the idea.

Grundislav

Of the commercial games listed (which I believe are Detective Gallo, Football Game, Lamplight City, and Unavowed) all but one are priced at $14.99 USD, and Football Game is $1.99, meaning you can get them all for $46.96.

I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a debate about how much indie games should cost and all that, but I'll just say that it's very difficult to persuade people to pay $14.99 for an indie adventure game, and offering a discount to increase the voter pool just feels cheap to me.

No disrespect meant to Stupot, but as someone trying to make a living from these games, this is something I feel very strongly about.

Click'd

We could try getting the people who already bought and played them to vote instead. Problem with THAT is they would need to register here.

Jack

$15 sounds like a fair price to me for what it is, even a bit of a bargain. It's more often the content of modern adventure games that would put me off a purchase.

It's a shame gog.com don't host more top notch adventure games. They can be f***heads too sometimes. They only have 2 of those 4 commercial releases, and they don't even have Until I Have You, to take another example.

Sinitrena

Or people could just watch Let's Plays if they don't want to pay for a game just to be able to vote. I think there are Let's Plays available for all nominated commercial games. It might not be the best option but if your money is tight it's at least a possibility.

cat

Big thanks to AGA, for providing the nomination and voting scripts every year!

He also updated the Wiki-page, that also contains links to the individual games:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/AGS_Awards_2018

Snarky

BTW, this year the Awards themselves are old enough to vote!

CaptainD

Texmurphy78

Returning to the main topic of this thread, I am sincerely very excited about the nominees, and I am wishing the best luck for all the participants😊

TheFrighter

Quote from: cat on Fri 15/02/2019 18:17:50

Best Demo   

Echo in the Clouds (Demo)   
Subterra (DEMO)   

Only 2 demo nominee  in a year? What a pity!  :~(

_

Click'd

The first link in the box above, "AGS Awards votes", gets me "Only AGS Awards admins are allowed here. Begone, intruder!"

The second link, "here", gets me
Spoiler
[79cb13f77e83399fd5666ca2] /wiki/AGS_Awards_2018 InvalidArgumentException from line 203 of /home/ags/html/w/includes/session/SessionManager.php: Invalid session ID

Backtrace:

#0 /home/ags/html/w/includes/session/PHPSessionHandler.php(242): MediaWiki\Session\SessionManager->getSessionById(string, boolean)
#1 [internal function]: MediaWiki\Session\PHPSessionHandler->read(string)
#2 /home/ags/html/w/extensions/Auth_SMF.php(406): session_start()
#3 /home/ags/html/w/extensions/Auth_SMF.php(346): smf_sessionSetup()
#4 /home/ags/html/w/includes/Hooks.php(177): UserLogoutSMF(User)
#5 /home/ags/html/w/includes/Hooks.php(205): Hooks::callHook(string, array, array, NULL)
#6 /home/ags/html/w/includes/user/User.php(4065): Hooks::run(string, array)
#7 /home/ags/html/w/extensions/Auth_SMF.php(275): User->logout()
#8 /home/ags/html/w/includes/Hooks.php(177): AutoAuthenticateSMF(User, User)
#9 /home/ags/html/w/includes/Hooks.php(205): Hooks::callHook(string, array, array, string)
#10 /home/ags/html/w/includes/user/User.php(1343): Hooks::run(string, array, string)
#11 /home/ags/html/w/includes/user/User.php(449): User->loadFromSession()
#12 /home/ags/html/w/includes/user/User.php(2400): User->load()
#13 /home/ags/html/w/includes/MediaWiki.php(563): User->getName()
#14 /home/ags/html/w/includes/MediaWiki.php(522): MediaWiki->setDBProfilingAgent()
#15 /home/ags/html/w/index.php(42): MediaWiki->run()
#16 {main}
[close]
on two different browsers

CrashPL

The "here" link works fine for me (redirects to the AGS nominees wiki page), although I have the same problem as Click with the voting page.

AGA

cat

As you have already noticed, voting is now open. Play the games and vote for your favourite in each category!

shaun9991

Thanks so much for nominating Football Game for 4 awards! A very lovely surprise :)

Congratulations to the other nominees. Another great year for AGS :D
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

cat

Here is a list of all nominated games sorted by nomination count:

Lamplight City11
Unavowed10
The Knobbly Crook8
Commissar's Contrapasso7
Detective Gallo   7
Football Game   4
Wilfred:2088 [MAGS Feb. 2018]4
Tales From The Outer Zone: Cyborg Seppuku3
Racist [MAGS]2
The Shaft2