[Solved] MI-9 interface doesn't work for custom-playercharacter

Started by UncleDan1991, Wed 16/01/2019 14:01:43

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleDan1991

Hey there!

As said in the title, I'M having an issue with the Interface in my game.

So I started using AGS a few Days ago, just fooled around a little to learn how stuff works.

Now I started to create my first own game, drew and (poorly) animated a character which is supposed to be the player-character.
So far , so good - the Character is animated, works as the player-character and i encountered following issue:

I can't use the MI-9 interface anymore.  (Edit: The Buttons don't work anymore. No matter if it's "Use" , "Look at" etc. )
A right click on a hotspot seems to Examine the Hotspot, and after that, a left click does the same.

Would be great if you could help me out with that, or if there's a part in the tutorial about this, please just tell me where since i couldn't find it so far.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Dan

Khris

Hm, not much to go on.
Do the buttons change appearance when you move the mouse over them? What does the action bar text say as you move the mouse around?
Is it possible you created a transparent GUI that is covering the buttons?

UncleDan1991

The buttons do "Light up" when I have the cursor on them, they just don't seem to react to a click.

It worked with the template-character which was already in the game, maybe i'll just change the Sprites of that one and rename it, if nothing else helps.

Sorry btw. if I use wrong terms sometimes (or just sound dumb :D) , i'm not a native english speaker and completely new to creating games, programming/scripting and all that!

Edit: I opened the Template as a "New Game" again and now i'm pretty convinced that i accidentally messed something up. Guess it is in like 99% of Problems: The Problem is sitting in front of his computer here.. :D

VampireWombat

Can you post the code for the character that doesn't work?
It sounds to me like there's probably a problem somewhere in using it.
Also, I have to ask since it's something I did several as a newbie. Did you click on the lightning image to actually link the character to the code?

UncleDan1991

Okay, you pushed me into the right direction.

The Code for the Character was missing so he could interact with the interface!

Thanks a lot, it's working now!

Khris

If you added your own character, you need to set her as player character.
Clicking the buttons should change the action bar verb regardless though.

It sounds like it's working now, though? If so, feel free to edit your first post and add [Solved] at the start of the title.

--

Ah, so interacting with the NPC didn't work?
Btw, you should definitely check out the PDF that comes with the template if you haven't altready. It's in the game folder.
Although as a beginner, you should probably start with a Default Game for now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk