[Solved]I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install a .dll plugin

Started by doctorhibert, Sun 20/01/2019 19:37:43

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorhibert

So I'm trying to install a plugin, one that comes as a .dll file. Now I don't know if I'm stupid or what, but I've been trying for the past half hour and I still can't figure it out. In the editor, there's a place that says plugins, which is what you'd think to use to install one, but left clicking or right clicking on it produces absolutely nothing. There's no menu I can open by right clicking, or a manager I can open with left click or enter.  An old forum post says this:

Modules
Script -> Module Manager
Plugins
Game -> Plugin Manager

Now, I can import a script no problem by just right clicking on the scripts folder, clicking import script, and just doing it from there, but that only lets me import .scm files, which is not what have. I cannot for the life of me figure out what Game -> Plugin Manager means. There is a "Plugins" folder in the project view, but it does nothing, and I don't see a "Game" folder anywhere.

There's also the manual, that says:

1. Place a copy of the plugin files in the AGSEDIT directory (not your game folder).

2. Start the AGS Editor up, and load your game. Go to the Game menu, and select Plugin Manager. There, you should see all available plugins listed. To use one in your game, check the box next to it and press OK. The plugin developer should provide instructions on how then to use their plugin. Save your game to make sure that AGS remembers that you want to use the plugin.

I also tried running the .dll file with the ags editor to no avail

But I can't find the AGSEDIT directory anywhere. It's not in the AGS install folder in c:/program files, It's not in the game folder, it's not in the AGS 3.2.1 folder in my downloads folder.

What is even going on? I must be stupid because nothing I can find on the internet makes sense

Slasher

Put all .dll files in the main AGS folder....exit ags editor and restart.. Click plugin's and it should be there if it is compatible...

doctorhibert

Thank you so much, it worked So the manual is outdated basically?

Slasher

The Manual is always being constantly updated...

doctorhibert

Slasher

I think AGSEDIT relates to AGS Editor main folder..

At least you have done it now ;)

Crimson Wizard

The manual entry about plugins that I found here (https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/ags21.htm#topic32) is outdated in two major points:
1) when it mentions "AGSEDIT", this was the old editor's name.
2) it does not tell how to deal with plugins when you port your game to other systems.

Perhaps also mentioning about "Resources" section is not a very precise info. There actually is such section on AGS website, under Downloads, but it is pretty hard to find IMO.

I could not find anything about importing script modules in the manual.

So, I'd say there are following issues that may be written down for future fixing:

1) Update the plugins section in the manual.
2) Make it possible to install downloaded plugins from the editor (e.g. install them from any place where you've downloaded them) for simplicity.
3) Add or find & update (if it exists) an article about importing script modules.
4) Make it possible to import modules in "ash/asc" form rather than scm package.

Regarding the manual, there is a work for improving it under way here: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags-manual
New version of manual itself is stored in a form of Wiki: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags-manual/wiki
You may also open Issues in the tracker there if you want to note a problem (you'd need a free github account for that).

doctorhibert

Thank you, so I wasn't going insane.  Thank you for updating the manual, hopefully it'll help people like me in the future

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk