Books about adventure games

Started by Jojo_the_monkey, Fri 31/05/2019 13:22:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Jojo_the_monkey

We all love to play adventure games!! But we also like sometimes to read about them. Below is a list of books that I have found through the net and are related to adventure games. This not an exhaustive list, I am adding the most interesting ones to me:

1. What Is Your Quest?: From Adventure Games to Interactive Books by Anastasia Salter - A book about fan-made adventures.
2. Making The Dragon by Warren Robinett - A book about "The Adventure" on the Atari 2600 (unreleased yet).
3. The Art of Point-and-Click Adventure Games by Bitmap Books - A book focused on the graphics of the adventures.
4. Jane Jensen - Gabriel Knight, Adventure Games, Hidden Objects by Anastasia Salter - A book about the career of Jane Jensen.
5. Verb/ose: A Personal Analysis of the Graphic Adventure Game Genre by Duncan R. Piasecki - A critical essay about the adventure genre.
6. Pointclicking by Jón Kristinsson - A book about comical adventure illustrations.
7. Point & Click by Andrew Scaife - A collection of pixel art recreation of TV shows as Lucasarts' point and click adventure games.
8. The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures, compiled and edited by Kurt Kalata - A book with detailed reviews on many adventures.
9. Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction by Nick Montfort - An academic resource on interactive fiction.
10. Before We Were Gamers: Forgetting and Remembering an Industry's Dawn by Laine Nooney - A book about the birth of Sierra-Online (unreleased yet).
11. Rogue Leaders: The Story of LucasArts by Rob Smith - A book about Lucasfilm Games and later Lucasarts.
12. Les mystères de Monkey Island. A l'abordage des pirates by Nicolas Deneschau - A book about the Monkey Island series (in French).
13. L'Histoire du Point'n Click by Patrick Hellio - A book about the history of point and click adventures (in French).
14. Myst and Riven: The World of the D'ni by Mark J.P. Wolf - A book about the Myst series.

Below you can also find some individual art books. I know there are many on the market, I list some of the well-known titles:

1. The Art of Broken Age
2. The Art of Broken Sword
4. The Art of Deponia
5. Thimbleweed Park - Art Book

Do you know some more? Write them on the comments and I will add them to the list.  (roll)
I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

milkanannan

Cool idea for a thread! As a kid I loved reading the extra material that was always included in those Space/King's Quest Companions. Usually it was some creative narrative that gave a different perspective on the game.

cat

Could you include an ISBN or at least author? A book with the title "Point & Click" is hard to find otherwise.

Jojo_the_monkey

I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk