One of the rooms in my game won't load anymore?!

Started by daniel, Mon 11/02/2019 16:48:43

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel

Hey guys,

I'm freaking out a little right now because I just noticed one of the rooms in my game won't load anymore.
It throws an unhandled error in 4.3.2.1 (as well as 4.3.3)...and completely crashes 4.5.0 alpha 10.

This is the error I'm getting:

Error: LoadRoom: unexpected end of block 6 in in 'room3.crm'
Version: AGS 3.4.2.1

AGS.Types.AGSEditorException: LoadRoom: unexpected end of block 6 in in 'room3.crm'
   at ThrowManagedException(SByte* message)
   at load_room_file(SByte* )
   at load_crm_file(UnloadedRoom roomToLoad)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.LoadNewRoomIntoMemory(UnloadedRoom newRoom, CompileMessages errors)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.LoadDifferentRoom(UnloadedRoom newRoom)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.LoadRoom(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.RoomsComponent.ItemCommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.Components.BaseComponentWithFolders`2.CommandClick(String controlID)
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.ProcessClickOnNode(String nodeID, MouseButtons button)
   at AGS.Editor.ProjectTree.projectTree_NodeMouseDoubleClick(Object sender, TreeNodeMouseClickEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnNodeMouseDoubleClick(TreeNodeMouseClickEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I really hope somebody can help me figure this out...all the other rooms are loading fine.

cheers

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: daniel on Mon 11/02/2019 16:48:43
I'm freaking out a little right now because I just noticed one of the rooms in my game won't load anymore.
It throws an unhandled error in 4.3.2.1 (as well as 4.3.3)...and completely crashes 4.5.0 alpha 10.

I assume you mean versions 3.4.2 and 3.5.0? (Don't know what 4.3.3 may mean). Have you ever opened this room in a different editor (not the one you are usually working in)?
For information, "Block 6" stores additional room backgrounds.
Can you send me this room (*.crm) file to see what is wrong there?

daniel

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 11/02/2019 17:34:44
I assume you mean versions 3.4.2 and 3.5.0? (Don't know what 4.3.3 may mean). Have you ever opened this room in a different editor (not the one you are usually working in)?
For information, "Block 6" stores additional room backgrounds.
Can you send me this room (*.crm) file to see what is wrong there?

Hey,
sorry yeah, I meant 3.4.2(.1?) and 3.5.0 of course...I also tried 3.4.3, the latest stable release. No dice.
I'm pretty careful when switching AGS versions. Pretty sure I didn't open it in any other version directly (I make a backup and open that when I try out a newer AGS). I've been sticking to 3.4.2.1 for quite a while now because the newer alphas I tried didn't play nice with the dialogue designer plugin.
I went back yesterday and replaced the room files with backups until I found one that still worked. Luckily I didn't touch the room much, so there won't be a lot of work to be redone.
I guess the room file(s) must have gotten corrupted "somehow"?...No Idea. Kinda scrary. Guess I'll do my snapshots/backups more frequently from now on.

By the way...if I switch from 3.4.2.1 to the latest stable 3.4.3, would that be likely cause any problems? Since 3.4.2.1 is actually an early alpha which is now called 3.5.0, right? ??? Should I rather stick with the alpha releases?

Thanks again

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: daniel on Tue 12/02/2019 08:03:05I've been sticking to 3.4.2.1 for quite a while now because the newer alphas I tried didn't play nice with the dialogue designer plugin.

What was the problem with dialogue designer plugin? Unless you report problems we may easily miss them.

Quote from: daniel on Tue 12/02/2019 08:03:05
By the way...if I switch from 3.4.2.1 to the latest stable 3.4.3, would that be likely cause any problems? Since 3.4.2.1 is actually an early alpha which is now called 3.5.0, right? ??? Should I rather stick with the alpha releases?

You should not be able to switch from 3.4.2 to 3.4.3, because they are not compatible. 3.4.2 version was cancelled and is now called 3.5.0, so you may only upgrade to 3.5.0. Sorry for confusion.

Quote from: daniel on Tue 12/02/2019 08:03:05
I guess the room file(s) must have gotten corrupted "somehow"?...No Idea. Kinda scrary. Guess I'll do my snapshots/backups more frequently from now on.

Do you still have the corrupted file and if so could you still send it to me? Sometimes we may find errors by analysing these.

daniel

QuoteWhat was the problem with dialogue designer plugin? Unless you report problems we may easily miss them.

I can't remember which version of the alpha it was, but the dialogue designer plugin would give me some kind of error. Seems to be fine in 3.5.0 though...

QuoteYou should not be able to switch from 3.4.2 to 3.4.3, because they are not compatible. 3.4.2 version was cancelled and is now called 3.5.0, so you may only upgrade to 3.5.0. Sorry for confusion.

Good to know...because I could load the game without any apparent problems in 3.4.3...:D Hope I didn't mess anything else up now, but everything seems fine so far.

I PM'd you about the file...

Thanks again:)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: daniel on Thu 14/02/2019 15:06:40
QuoteYou should not be able to switch from 3.4.2 to 3.4.3, because they are not compatible. 3.4.2 version was cancelled and is now called 3.5.0, so you may only upgrade to 3.5.0. Sorry for confusion.

Good to know...because I could load the game without any apparent problems in 3.4.3...:D Hope I didn't mess anything else up now, but everything seems fine so far.

Ummmm.... that sounds weird. Are you sure the game was not originally made in 3.4.1 (not 3.4.2)?
On the other hand, maybe the version you were using did not have any breaking changes to game format yet.
Anyway it's good if that works.

daniel

QuoteUmmmm.... that sounds weird. Are you sure the game was not originally made in 3.4.1 (not 3.4.2)?
On the other hand, maybe the version you were using did not have any breaking changes to game format yet.
Anyway it's good if that works.

Nope, pretty sure the last version I used before was 3.4.2.1 (beta)...and it loaded up fine in 3.4.3 (not even a warning message). But I switched to 3.5.0 now to be safe...also I remembered that I had to switch to the beta because of the new pathfinding, which fixed a problem in my game, anyway  :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk