Seen any cool horror films lately?

Started by KyriakosCH, Wed 17/04/2019 00:45:21

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Saw Noroi (The Curse) today. Iirc from 2005.

Decent japanese horror movie, supposedly based on a real case.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Stupot

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 17/04/2019 00:45:21
Saw Noroi (The Curse) today. Iirc from 2005.

Decent japanese horror movie, supposedly based on a real case.
I feel like I've probably seen that, but I can't really remember it. I'll give it another look.

I tried watching Rings, the recent Hollywood Ring sequel. I couldn't make it past the first two minutes. The first thing the guy says is "Have you heard the story about the videotape that if you watch it you die seven days later?" Yeah, not too on-the-nose there, mate. If someone tells me it's worth pushing through that awful intro, then I'll give it another go.

I watched Pet on Netflix the other day. More thriller than horror, but it was a pretty cool twist on the 'guy-kidnaps-girl' mechanic. Worth a look.

I also got around to watching Don't Breathe, which was fun, but not really what I was expecting.

Mandle

What We Do In The Shadows

A really fun take on the life of a group of vampires but unlike "Interview With The Vampire" which focuses on the epic adventure of their "lives" spanning eras, this movie is about the humdrum day-to-day existence of what it really might be like if a group of fairly average "people" had to live together for centuries.

Great stuff with an awkward, low-key New Zealand sense of humour.

KyriakosCH

I saw the Clovehitch killer (iirc title of the movie is 'Clovehitch').
It was decent. Not that believable, but at least the first half of the movie had good atmosphere :)

KyriakosCH

Saw this almost a month ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opSNG3sWdjs

It is a quite interesting movie. It would also work as a horror adventure game, due to the very elaborate centerpiece :)

Danvzare

I think the most recent horror film I've watched, was the latest Halloween film. (Halloween 2018)
I went in expecting something laughably bad. But it was remarkably good. I'd highly recommend it.
It's not very scary though. At least to me.

Buckethead

Hereditary was pretty good:

Errementari was a fun one to me, although more a folktale than horror:

Aterrados was great as well. The story was so so but it had some genuinly creepy moments and great effects:

milkanannan

Oh thanks for the reminder! I saw the Hereditary trailer a few months back and wanted to see that.  :=

TheFrighter

Quote from: Buckethead on Sat 20/04/2019 15:56:13Errementari was a fun one to me, although more a folktale than horror:

Aterrados was great as well. The story was so so but it had some genuinly creepy moments and great effects:

Recently a lot of good horror movies come from Spain, it's impressive.

_

Blondbraid

I second Mandle on What We Do In The Shadows, it's an all around great and fun movie!
Quote from: TheFrighter on Sat 20/04/2019 17:47:15
Recently a lot of good horror movies come from Spain, it's impressive.
I either had the worlds best or the worlds worst Spanish teacher, because said teacher let the class watch a bunch of Spanish movies during lessons as opposed to studying grammar,
and I especially liked Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo del Toro, which juxtaposed the supernatural monsters with the real horror of fascism to great effect. I'd just recommend the works of
del Toro in general, because he's also made other solid horror movies like The devil's backbone and Crimson Peak, the latter I especially recommend to anyone who like Gothic horror.

KyriakosCH

I liked Rec (Rec1) and a couple of other spanish horror, but i now tried to watch Aterrados and imo it isn't very good :) (maybe it would become better later on, but i gave up).

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sun 21/04/2019 19:28:40
I especially liked Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo del Toro
I thought Pan's Labyrinth was in french?
Well either way, I personally couldn't get into Pan's Labyrinth. I'm sure it's a good film, I just can't stand subtitles. And in a film like Pan's Labyrinth where the majority of the appeal is in the awesome designs and the delivery of lines, you lose a lot with your eyes glued to the words at the bottom of the screen.
I always hoped that there would be a dub, even a subpar one. But to my knowledge, there's never been one.

Also it's been a long time since I last watched Pan's Labyrinth, so correct me if I'm wrong here. But based on my vague recollection, it was implied that the monsters and such were just in her head. Because they never actually interacted with the real world. Which I didn't like. I wanted to see everyone get killed at the end because I thought they all deserved it.
Please correct me if I'm recalling that wrong though. I think it's been well over ten years since I watched it.

VampireWombat

Pan's Labyrinth is definitely in Spanish. As far as I know, Guillermo del Toro only has directed movies in Spanish and English. And there's the fact that Pan's Labyrinth is set in Spain.
I've never had issue with the subtitles on it. It's not like there's a lot of fast paced action. And most of the scenes where there's sets and make up to enjoy, there's enough quiet to enjoy them.
And as for whether the events are real or not, the movie leaves it open ended for the viewer to decide. But I think that Guillermo del Toro himself is of the opinion that everything happened.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 24/04/2019 18:29:48
I'm sure it's a good film, I just can't stand subtitles.

That's unfortunate. There's so much worthwhile cinema out there, in languages other than English.

Rigor Mortis is a visually splendid homage to Hong Kong vampire movies of the 1980's, and a pretty cool pre-Birdman...well, Birdman.

And for Netflix viewers, The Wailing is good way to spend two and a half hours. Be warned, though, it's a slow-burn, and bereft of jump scares.

Quote from: Buckethead on Sat 20/04/2019 15:56:13

Errementari was a fun one to me, although more a folktale than horror.

Aterrados was great as well. The story was so so but it had some genuinly creepy moments and great effects.

Yeah, I enjoyed both of those as well. Errementari was very Del Toro in feel, but still it's own thing.

Off the top of my head...

The Blood on Satan's Claw is a good entry in the UK's short-lived "Folk Horror" boom of the '70s. I think it's on Netflix, too.

And while it will never replace the original in my heart, the recent remake of Suspiria is worth a look.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Danvzare

Quote from: LimpingFish on Wed 24/04/2019 20:15:35

That's unfortunate. There's so much worthwhile cinema out there, in languages other than English.
Yeah well. I hear that you can get used to subtitles if you watch enough with them. But as of right now, watching with subtitles for me, is like having a kid constantly kick the back of your seat during the entire film. I'll only tolerate them if I really want to watch the film, and even then the film kinda gets ruined for me.
But personally I think it's more unfortunate the amount of books, comics, games, and movies other people will never experience, either because of preconceived notions or because they were never translated. I could give a huge list of brilliant stuff, ranging from Japanese Boardgame videogames, to B-horror movies.

Quote from: VampireWombat on Wed 24/04/2019 18:45:07
Pan's Labyrinth is definitely in Spanish. As far as I know, Guillermo del Toro only has directed movies in Spanish and English. And there's the fact that Pan's Labyrinth is set in Spain.
Seriously!  8-0
And here I've been thinking for the past ten years or so, that it was set during one of the french civil wars (probably the WW2 one.).
Wow, was I wrong.  :-[

KyriakosCH

Saw "Silent House" (remake).

The actress is very good, but imo the movie just has a story which has already been done to death. You will identify what it going on (at worst) by the half-point, so it becomes a bit of a bore up to the obvious "reveal".

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 25/04/2019 16:56:40
Quote from: LimpingFish on Wed 24/04/2019 20:15:35

Yeah well. I hear that you can get used to subtitles if you watch enough with them. But as of right now, watching with subtitles for me, is like having a kid constantly kick the back of your seat during the entire film. I'll only tolerate them if I really want to watch the film, and even then the film kinda gets ruined for me.
But personally I think it's more unfortunate the amount of books, comics, games, and movies other people will never experience, either because of preconceived notions or because they were never translated. I could give a huge list of brilliant stuff, ranging from Japanese Boardgame videogames, to B-horror movies.
You should definitively try to learn to get used to texted movies, because I promise it'll be worth it. I've never heard of anyone learning to watch subtitled movies ever wanting to go back to watching dubbed versions, and for a good reason.
In Sweden there is no dubbed movies for adults, only movies aimed at kids too young to be expected to read well get dubbed, and the suggestion of dubbing a movie for adults would be treated as condescending, like they'd think swedes are too dumb to read. But the upside of this is that pretty much all Swedes under 60 will learn English at a much faster rate thanks to all English movies and TV-shows that get imported, and I myself was able to read Poe and Lovecraft in their original language by high school largely thanks to all the English-speaking media I consumed, plus you get good practice in reading. At least to me, I don't see why reading subtitles in movies are any worse than reading the text in your average AGS game.

So as a Swede, I feel genuinely sorry for all the people that never get to learn to read subtitles while still young, all due to the idiotic practice of dubbing everything, not just because they miss out so much of the nuance and original acting of the dubbed movies, but also because of all movies they'll miss out on because subtitles are much easier and affordable than dubbing, and therefore most movies will only get subtitles. I think you can compare it to learning how to swim, sure it can be hard at first, and getting water in your nose is annoying, but once you have learned it, there is just so many good things and great experiences that can come from it and you'll never regret it.
QuoteAlso it's been a long time since I last watched Pan's Labyrinth, so correct me if I'm wrong here. But based on my vague recollection, it was implied that the monsters and such were just in her head. Because they never actually interacted with the real world. Which I didn't like. I wanted to see everyone get killed at the end because I thought they all deserved it.
In that case, I'd definitively recommend The Devil's backbone, also a Spanish movie by Del Toro. It's a fantastic movie also set in the Spanish Civil war, and not to spoil anything, but I will say justice is well served at the end of the movie, and the supernatural entities do get to play an important role in it.

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 25/04/2019 19:18:22

The actress is very good, but imo the movie just has a story which has already been done to death. You will identify what it going on (at worst) by the half-point, so it becomes a bit of a bore up to the obvious "reveal".

Is it that she
Spoiler
was a ghost all along?
[close]

There are only two good movies with that twist that I know of and soooo many lame knockoffs so it's the one I thought of immediately.

Spoiler
The Sixth Sense and The Others
[close]

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 26/04/2019 00:16:54

Is it that she
Spoiler
was a ghost all along?
[close]

No. It was
Spoiler
that her father sexually abused her and she was imagining stuff.
[close]

Laura Hunt

One of the best "horror" films (I'm hesitant to call it horror since it's very slow paced, mostly focused on tension and claustrophobia) I've seen in a VERY long time is A Dark Song.

It's about a woman who hires an occultist to help her perform a vengeance ritual which will require them to stay in a closed-off house without setting foot outside for as long as it takes for it to work (we're talking months here, not just a few hours) because once started, the ritual cannot be interrupted. That's about all I'd be willing to say without getting into spoiler territory.

The director is Irish, it's set in rural Wales, and there are only two actors in the whole movie, so right from its inception it already feels different from most cookie-cutter American horror like Insidious and all that crap. It's very low key, no jumpscares, just a constant feeling of dread and tension. There's a bit of conventional "horror" at some point, but it's not the movie's main point. I won't even recommend watching the trailer since it gives away a couple of scenes that kind of lose their impact if not watched at their correct place in the movie.

It's definitely a cult flick which might not be to everybody's taste, especially if you're used to jump scares, cliches, creepy singing children, cackling ghosts and deafening sound effects, but if it clicks with you, it's the kind of movie that just sticks around in your brain long, long after you've finished watching it. There's something about the pacing, the cinematography, the atmosphere, the performances, that makes it one of a kind.

If I piqued your curiosity, give it a try! I don't think you'll regret it  :)

Blondbraid

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 26/04/2019 01:25:40
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 26/04/2019 00:16:54

Is it that she
Spoiler
was a ghost all along?
[close]

No. It was
Spoiler
that her father sexually abused her and she was imagining stuff.
[close]
Urgh, I hate that movie trope. It's basically been done to death because it's the default backstory hack writers give female main characters.

The other problem with that trope is that it's using a real-life trauma for horror and shock value, so to a lot of audience members who have experienced it firsthand, it's not going to be a fantasy horror comparable to zombies or vampires,
but a stark reminder of something they fear in real life and at worst it can even cause a severe anxiety attack, and I really wish it wasn't so overused, because poor treatment of it has really ruined a lot of movies for me.

So far, the best treatment of this topic I've seen in a mainstream movie was Sucker Punch, but there it isn't a plot twist, but was revealed at the start of the movie,
and rather than showing the trauma the female leads go through the movie focuses entirely on the elaborate heroic fantasies they conjure up to escape from it.

Mandle

Quote from: notarobotyet on Fri 26/04/2019 07:37:07
One of the best "horror" films (I'm hesitant to call it horror since it's very slow paced, mostly focused on tension and claustrophobia) I've seen in a VERY long time is A Dark Song.

That movie is AWESOME!!!

It takes really good actors to pull off a 2 character cast, and the two actors in this movie are completely believable and amazing!

And I was delighted by the very, very unexpected ending!

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 26/04/2019 10:58:30
Quote from: notarobotyet on Fri 26/04/2019 07:37:07

That movie is AWESOME!!!

It takes really good actors to pull off a 2 character cast, and the two actors in this movie are completely believable and amazing!

I know, right?? Perfect casting imo.

So happy somebody else has watched it!

Snarky

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 18/04/2019 23:34:34

A really fun take on the life of a group of vampires but unlike "Interview With The Vampire" which focuses on the epic adventure of their "lives" spanning eras, this movie is about the humdrum day-to-day existence of what it really might be like if a group of fairly average "people" had to live together for centuries.

I assume you're aware that there's a TV adaptation that started airing just a few weeks ago? Set in Staten Island and starring Matt Berry. It's... OK.

The most recent horror movie I watched was Cam, about a cam girl whose online identity is stolen by a doppelganger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN8xZ5WDonk
Not really scary at all, but interesting, well acted, and I thought the final confrontation was quite clever.

Oh, and I also watched Happy Death Day 2U (the sequel to the surprisingly good "Final Destination + Scream + Groundhog Day" mashup) not too long ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT9MBytHuOI
This one throws in more time-travel shenanigans, and is still plenty fun.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 26/04/2019 12:38:14
Quote from: Mandle on Thu 18/04/2019 23:34:34

I assume you're aware that there's a TV adaptation that started airing just a few weeks ago? Set in Staten Island and starring Matt Berry. It's... OK.
If any movie deserves a TV show adaption, it's What We Do In The Shadows, the concept is pretty much perfect for that.

Anyway, Happy Death Day 2U really sounds like somebody thought Groundhog day would be way better as a horror movie. Either way, it looks interesting!

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 26/04/2019 18:34:14

Anyway, Happy Death Day 2U really sounds like somebody thought Groundhog day would be way better as a horror movie. Either way, it looks interesting!

Hasn't this been done in that Butterfly effect film?  :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_dgqfPXFg

Laura Hunt

If any movie deserves a TV show adaption, it's What We Do In The Shadows, the concept is pretty much perfect for that.

Yeah, on paper it sounds perfect, but in practice...  :-\ First episode was pretty good, almost as good as the movie; second was ok, third and fourth have been really weak, to the point where I don't know if I'll continue watching. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try though!

Snarky

That was also my experience with WWDitS. I'm several episodes behind and don't feel any pressing need to catch up.

Yeah, that's pretty much precisely what it is. (Or, not necessarily better: just that it would be cool to combine Groundhog Day with the sort of fun, wacky deaths you get in the Final Destination movies + a basic "masked killer" slasher plot.) The original movie is simply Happy Death Day (though I think it was released under a bunch of other titles in various countries) and came out 2017.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 26/04/2019 18:43:32
Hasn't this been done in that Butterfly effect film?  :-D

Eh, they're not particularly similar. On the other hand, the premise of the Netflix show Russian Doll is almost exactly the same as Happy Death Day, though the tone is quite different.

TheFrighter

Not many good italian horror movies those days. I can suggest this Wicked Gift

_

KyriakosCH

Any other suggestions? :)
I saw a couple more, but they were garbage.

But i liked this very brief horror piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqSmb3n0j8o&fbclid=IwAR2rIVZ6JrHE8eC4rF5h2a0FSuu952gw8XJoJVu5VbKyqU_yvHU1_m1dxG4

Stupot

Yesterday I watched the new film in the Japanese Ring series, Sadako.

It was rather good, really. Nowhere near as bad as Sadako 3D anyway. There was of course a lot of dodgy acting and even dodgier visual effects but that's unavoidable with Japanese films these days. But it was directed by Hideo Nakata who directed the first core Ring (1998) movie and it's sequel. It wasn't super scary but there were some fun creepy moments and it did a good job of telling a new story while keeping Sadako as the main antagonist.

I happened to be poking my head in the Cinema to see what was on and Sadako was just about to start, so based on whether or not it was a good decision to go in and watch the movie, I'd give it a thumbs up. 👍

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 30/05/2019 04:33:24
Yesterday I watched the new film in the Japanese Ring series, Sadako.

As a huge fan of horror movies I'm pretty surprised when one actually scares me. I usually just have a ton of fun without many uncomfortable feelings.

But two movies still scare the absolute crap out of me:

The Exorcist (original) and Ring (original).

I'm wary to watch any of the other Sadako cash-ins and haven't even watched the original sequels (were they Loop and Rassen I think?) because I felt they would spoil the mystery of what makes the Sadako character so terrifying by providing too much explanation, just like Hannibal Rising spoils the Hannibal Lecter character to death by taking away everything that is unknown about him.

Stupot

Rasen is the original sequel to the 1998 Ring but it was so bad that it has been disregarded. The better sequels are Ring 2 and Ring 0: Birthday. To me they are the canonical trilogy. And they're all good films.

They do go into her whole background and why she became the monster she did. But I don't think it ruins it like Hannibal Rising. And that information is all in the books anyway (although the book's story is slightly different from the films)

There was first a 1995 straight-to-TV Ring film. I've heard that was also pretty bad though I never saw it.

Mandle

It just scares me more that Sadako was born wrong somehow in some way that we cannot understand.

If I watch some explanation that her grandmother had been damned for spitting on a shrine or whatever they come up with it just won't scare me as much as "this just happens and we don't know why" no matter how well done the explanation is.

LionOhDay

I recently got around to watching "The Void" which was a pretty fun Horror romp.

It reminded me a lot of a super natural episode which was pretty much what I wanted out of it.

This was a lot longer ago but I also enjoyed watching The Ritual. That one was really fun.
Attempts were made.

Mandle

I recently re-watched Wes Craven's "Dracula 2000" (or possibly 2001 the box and the in-movie title disagree on this)

It was great to re-watch because I didn't know who Gerald Butler was when I saw it back in 2002 or so and his not-so-Spartan performance as Dracula is quite awesome. (He's a lot skinnier as well in this role and has a neck narrower than his head even)

Also, Christopher Plummer as Van Helsing is great, and the dude who plays Sherlock in the show "Elementary", Sick-Boy from Trainspotting, is always cool.

Apart from the famous actors viewed in retrospect, the plot is great and has a killer twist towards the end!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 04/06/2019 14:22:08
I recently re-watched Wes Craven's "Dracula 2000" (or possibly 2001 the box and the in-movie title disagree on this)

It was great to re-watch because I didn't know who Gerald Butler was when I saw it back in 2002 or so and his not-so-Spartan performance as Dracula is quite awesome. (He's a lot skinnier as well in this role and has a neck narrower than his head even)

Also, Christopher Plummer as Van Helsing is great, and the dude who plays Sherlock in the show "Elementary", Sick-Boy from Trainspotting, is always cool.

Apart from the famous actors viewed in retrospect, the plot is great and has a killer twist towards the end!
Was that the movie that featured Omar Epps (the guy who was a sidekick to House on the eponymous show)?

KyriakosCH

Any new suggestions? :)
I tried the recent irish movie, "The hole in the ground". Imo it was rather bad.

Laura Hunt

Well, I finally got around to watching "Us" and I have to say that despite having guessed the "twist" in the first 5 minutes of the movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit! Definitely more than "Get Out", which I found to be a ok-ish horror movie but waaaayyyyy overrated. "Us" is creepy, intriguing, and Lupita Nyong'o and Elizabeth Moss absolutely kill it. Worth checking out!

I also have it in mind to watch "The Wind" this week, I'll report back if it's worth a shot.

Blondbraid

Quote from: notarobotyet on Mon 10/06/2019 20:26:08
I also have it in mind to watch "The Wind" this week, I'll report back if it's worth a shot.
Looking at the trailer, it seems like an interesting premise, but the video sure has the worst thumbnail imaginable.
Seeing someone's constipated face paired with the title "the wind", well...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: notarobotyet on Mon 10/06/2019 20:26:08
Well, I finally got around to watching "Us" and I have to say that despite having guessed the "twist" in the first 5 minutes of the movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit

Yes, the final twist was my priority guess from early on too...
and although it started well, yet turned into silly horror comedy for me later.

Stupot

Us has only just got a release date in Japan (September 6th) so I've got a bit of a wait but it's been my most anticipated movie of 2019. Watching Get Out in the cinema was the only time I considered buying another ticket and watching it again there and then (I didn't actually do this only because I had to meet my wife).

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 11/06/2019 00:41:09
Us has only just got a release date in Japan (September 6th) so I've got a bit of a wait but it's been my most anticipated movie of 2019. Watching Get Out in the cinema was the only time I considered buying another ticket and watching it again there and then (I didn't actually do this only because I had to meet my wife).

Are you Japanese? Or just living there?

Stupot

Just living here. There's lots to love about this country but movie release dates are a serious problem.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 11/06/2019 00:41:09

I've watched it twice and it's great on the re-watch catching all the hidden hints of what is going on. So many!

KyriakosCH

I tried to watch Banshee Chapter. Gave up.

KyriakosCH

Also tried to watch US (2019, iirc) and gave up  :=

Blondbraid

Haven't seen the movie, but this trailer looked interesting:

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 19/06/2019 09:48:05
Haven't seen the movie, but his trailer looked interesting:

Now, that's a great idea for an adventure game.

Mandle

Looks like a lot of laughs and fun!

josiah1221

KyriakosCH

Nice, but doesn't it sort of give away too much in the trailer?  :shocked:

josiah1221

I normally don't watch trailers for said reason. I recently watched I Am Mother and very much enjoyed it. I sent a link of the trailer to some friends at which point I watched the trailer myself only to see that it ruins the entire movie. I like a good tease but why spoil the whole film in a nearly 3 minute trailer, give us a 30-45 sec tease and leave it at that.

KyriakosCH

:bump:

Well, I will try to watch Ready or Not (originally I though she was Margot Robbie :) ).

But a more serious horror would be appreciated!

My favorite horror movies are:

(in no order)

It follows
The Babadook
The Exorcist
The Tenant (Polanski)

If you would call Angelheart (with Mickey Rourke) horror, then that too  :=

The Last Wave (old australian movie) was ok too, but not really horror imo.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 01/04/2020 19:18:59

YES. YES. I love that movie SO much.

Also from the same period, Jacob's Ladder is a huge fave of mine...

A Dark Song, which I think I already mentioned here ages and ages ago...

It's a safe pick, but The Shining, of course.

And a lot of people say The VVitch is not a horror movie because it has no jumpscares, but I absolutely disagree. It's a classic horror movie through and through.

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but I think this makes for a neat top 5!

(ok, bonus: Alien.)

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Wed 01/04/2020 19:45:09
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 01/04/2020 19:18:59

YES. YES. I love that movie SO much.

Also from the same period, Jacob's Ladder is a huge fave of mine...

A Dark Song, which I think I already mentioned here ages and ages ago...

It's a safe pick, but The Shining, of course.

And a lot of people say The VVitch is not a horror movie because it has no jumpscares, but I absolutely disagree. It's a classic horror movie through and through.

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but I think this makes for a neat top 5!

(ok, bonus: Alien.)

Thank you  8-)

I think I have seen all of them, though...
The original Jacob's Ladder was cool.

Racoon

KyriakosCH I love that shortfilm "The Dollmaker!" :)  If you are into shortfilms I would totally recommend the youtube channel "DUST". They have loads and loads of sci-fi shortfilms, also some horror ones.

Ready or not is also a movie that I really want to watch, they talked a lot about it in the radio.
Also I am curious about "Parasite", the one that won an oscar I think?

A movie with horror elements that stuck with me after watching it is this one:

There are split opinions about it, but I think its haunting.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 01/04/2020 19:49:11
Thank you  8-)

This one just came to my mind: have you watched Mandy? It's a weird one, but I'll take it any day over mass-produced stuff like The Conjuring 25: The Conjurerer :-D

milkanannan

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Racoon on Wed 01/04/2020 20:23:06
KyriakosCH I love that shortfilm "The Dollmaker!" :)  If you are into shortfilms I would totally recommend the youtube channel "DUST". They have loads and loads of sci-fi shortfilms, also some horror ones.

Ready or not is also a movie that I really want to watch, they talked a lot about it in the radio.
Also I am curious about "Parasite", the one that won an oscar I think?

A movie with horror elements that stuck with me after watching it is this one:

There are split opinions about it, but I think its haunting.

^_^ Yes, I have seen some of the Dust channel's films, but youtube collections rarely have anything memorable :D

I just watched Ready or Not. It was funny. I think the heroine really makes it work. It's comedy-horror, of course.

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Wed 01/04/2020 20:32:17
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 01/04/2020 19:49:11
Thank you  8-)

This one just came to my mind: have you watched Mandy? It's a weird one, but I'll take it any day over mass-produced stuff like The Conjuring 25: The Conjurerer :-D

I have seen Mandy, yes.
It was not as much horror as gore-sad, I think :)

LimpingFish

Did anyone mention I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House? Did I?!  (wtf)

It's on Netflix, and I recommend it!

Apostle, also on Netflix, is quite good. Ditto The Ritual.

Netflix doesn't have the greatest selection of horror movies, at least in the UK/Ireland, but there are some gems on there.

EDIT: I browsed through Netflix just now, and (for those who have Netflix) I would recommend (in no particular order)...

The Endless
Troll Hunter
The Night Eats the World
In the Tall Grass
He Never Died
Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
Cold Skin
Await Further Instructions

...for various reasons.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

KyriakosCH

Stupot

I recently watched Happy Death Day. It’s a little cheesy but I think it’s deliberate. I had great fun with it and it’s quite cleverly done. I’ve yet to see the sequel, which I hear is less horror and more sci-fi.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 02/04/2020 07:43:11
I recently watched Happy Death Day. It’s a little cheesy but I think it’s deliberate. I had great fun with it and it’s quite cleverly done. I’ve yet to see the sequel, which I hear is less horror and more sci-fi.

Both are funny as hell.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 02/04/2020 02:12:12
Did anyone mention I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House? Did I?!  (wtf)

It's on Netflix, and I recommend it!

Apostle, also on Netflix, is quite good. Ditto The Ritual.

Netflix doesn't have the greatest selection of horror movies, at least in the UK/Ireland, but there are some gems on there.

EDIT: I browsed through Netflix just now, and (for those who have Netflix) I would recommend (in no particular order)...

The Endless
Troll Hunter
The Night Eats the World
In the Tall Grass
He Never Died
Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
Cold Skin
Await Further Instructions

...for various reasons.

I now saw In the Tall Grass.

The idea was cool, but Stephen King ruins almost anything he touches :D A far better example is his tv series, The Outsider.

At least the Tall Grass had a nice centerpiece. Though it might have been "stolen" by a youtube short which aired years ago, and had iirc the same name.

Stupot

I just recently read the book of The Outsider. It was awful. I'm not even sure King wrote it himself. I swear he's doing a James Patterson and getting "up-and-comers" to write his stuff, only at least Patterson puts their name on the cover.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 02/04/2020 08:37:18
I just recently read the book of The Outsider. It was awful. I'm not even sure King wrote it himself. I swear he's doing a James Patterson and getting "up-and-comers" to write his stuff, only at least Patterson puts their name on the cover.

I don't think you know Mr. King. He will write anything he thinks of. He tries to make it as good as he can, but he even admits that a lot of his stuff is crap. He writes for himself about the things that scare him and that he hopes will scare others. He rarely plots out a story from start to finish as he gets bored with it if he is not living it in the moment while he is writing. And then he shuts it away in a drawer for at least 6 months and comes back and rereads it and does a second draft if the story is still bugging him to be born.

I think this is a much more honest and open way for a writer to be rather than them thinking "I must make everything a masterpiece!"  and then the books never get finished.

I think game creators can also understand this way of thinking.

Stephen King has written some of the best and most original horror novels of a century in my opinion, and has also written a lot of crap.

It's his philosophy: Just write. Every one of your children will not come out perfect. Some might be disformed. But some might not be.

That's bravery in writing. (And he didn't just hold forth this philosophy AFTER he got rich. His book "Danse Macabre", which he wrote in his poor days, also expresses this philosophy.)

EDIT: All this being said, I most enjoy the novels he wrote during the early cocaine years. The ones he doesn't remember writing like "The Tommyknockers"

KyriakosCH

^I like some of his short stories (eg from the Nightshift collection), but imo overall he is pretty much a hack (with some talent). Certainly he has no intellectual element to his work (of those which I read, anyway).
That said, some movie adaptations of his work can be good. The best example I can think of is The Mist (the movie, not the terrible tv show  := ).

Sometimes one doesn't need to be a good writer to become famous. According to Lovecraft, Stoker was a terrible writer as well, with some cool ideas -btw, if you want to see a really terrible horror movie, check "The lair of the white worm", with Hugh Grant  :=
Lovecraft himself has issues with style, but had a very interesting imagination. Machen was imo far better as a writer than Lovecraft, yet clearly he is much less known. Dunsany today isn't really famous either - but iirc was back in Lovecraft's day.

I think, if we are talking horror writers, the two I regard as being more intellectually powerful (and among the great writers of Europe anyway) are de Maupassant and ETA Hoffmann.

Poe is another case - I think he wrote beautifully, but I have reason to believe he did profess to have more intellectual knowledge than he did. Who cares in his case, though, he wrote so elegantly that it is besides the point. :) Washington Irving is another cool case, but not quite of the level of Maupassant/Hoffmann imo.

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 02/04/2020 09:16:01
but imo overall he is pretty much a hack (with some talent)

And has never pretended he was otherwise. But his book "On Writing" really is probably his best work ever. It's a completely un-pretentious manual on how to write. Basically a "Masters-Class" in book form in which the ultimate message is something pretty much like "Write, just write, always keep writing, grow a thick skin, and let all opinions be damned as long as you know you're getting better at writing."

TheFrighter

This could seems a little artsy, but not so much:

_

KyriakosCH

Quote from: TheFrighter on Thu 02/04/2020 13:19:04

This could seems a little artsy, but not so much:

_

I have seen it. Can't say it was for me :) Good actors though. Re the plot, I think

Spoiler
it was supposed to be Patt's delusion? Anyway, didn't really do it for me...
[close]

KyriakosCH

Saw Soylent Green. It isn't horror, of course.
Nice that in 2022 the most advanced home computer game they have is some version of space invaders  :=

Crimson Wizard

"The Lighthouse" is a horror in a different sense.
Spoiler

It's a horror of reality. It's basically a story of two people getting drunk for weeks during the storm while they are unable to leave the island, and going insane because of drink, personal conflict and haunting memories.
[close]

KyriakosCH

^

Spoiler
I am not sure. I mean it didn't take that long for Patt to start seeing stuff.
But I don't recall the movie all that well...
[close]

lorenzo

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 02/04/2020 11:44:01
in which the ultimate message is something pretty much like "Write, just write, always keep writing, grow a thick skin, and let all opinions be damned as long as you know you're getting better at writing."
That's pretty good advice for all creative endeavours, in my opinion. Can't get better at doing something without doing it. A lot.

KyriakosCH

I think that Cronenberg is often hit or miss. Though one of my favorite movies is by him, Spider (iirc 2002), with Ralph Fiennes.

It isn't a horror movie.

As far as I know his latest film is absolute garbage, and a very stupid presentation of the Freud vs Jung story.

As for horror, his The Brood is very good, imo.

arj0n

Here's my list of horror movies of the last 10 years I still remember (sorted alphabetically and descending year by year).
At the end of each line the IMDB rating (x out of 10) and the dutch moviemeter rating (x out of 5) is noted.

Horror movies:
Invisible Man, The (2020) -  Horror / Mystery / Sci-Fi / Thriller [7,2/10;3,52/5]
Ready or Not (2019) - Comedy / Horror / Mystery / Thriller [6,8/10;3,19/5]
Apostle (2018) - Action / Drama / Fantasy / Horror / Mystery / Thriller [6,3/10;2,94/5]
Mandy (2018) - Action / Fantasy / Horror / Mystery / Thriller [6,6/10;3,05/5]
Dark Song, A(2016) - Drama / Fantasy / Horror / Mystery [6,1/10;2,78/5]
Don't Breathe (2016) - Crime / Horror / Thriller [7,1/10; 3,38/5]
Kill Command (2016) - Action / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller [5,7/10;2,71/5]
13 Sins (2014) - Action / Horror / Thriller [6,3/10;2,92/5]
As Above, So Below (2014) - Action / Adventure / Fantasy / Horror / Mystery / Thriller [6,2/10;3,06/5]
Clown (2014) - Action / Drama / Fantasy / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller [5,7/10;2,85/5]
Last Shift (2014) - Horror / Mystery / Thriller [5,8/10;2,78/5]
What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - Action / Comedy / Fantasy / Horror [8,4/10;3,31/5]
Frankenstein's Army (2013) - Horror / Action [5,3/10;2,73/5]
I Spit on Your Grave 2 (2013) - Horror / Thriller [5,7/10;2,96/5]
Cabin in the Woods, The (2011) - Action / Comedy / Fantasy / Horror / Mystery / Thriller [7,0/10;2,96/5]
Thing, The (remake) (2011) - Action / Horror / Mystery / Sci-Fi / Thriller [6,2/10;2,84/5]
I Spit on Your Grave (2010) - Action / Crime / Horror / Thriller [6,3/10;3,26/5]
Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010) - Action / Comedy / Horror [7,5/10;3,39/5]

Non-horror but with horror elements:
Annihilation (2018) - Adventure / Drama / Fantasy / Horror / Mystery / Sci-Fi / Thriller [6,9/10;3,19/5]
Upgrade (2018) - Action / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller [7,5/10;3,58/5]
Cold Skin (2017) - Adventure / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller [6,0/10;3,08/5]

KyriakosCH

^Thanks :)

I will check out the Invisible Man. I suppose it has no tie to the Wells story?

arj0n

Quote from: KyriakosCH
I suppose it has no tie to the Wells story?
It is based on H.G. Well's novel.
Not sure how much though.

KyriakosCH

Well HG Well's story is about a scientist who supposedly found a way to make himself invisible, and rapidly becomes insane :)

Mandle

Quote from: arj0n on Sat 11/04/2020 20:41:22
Here's my list of horror movies of the last 10 years I still remember (sorted alphabetically and descending year by year).
At the end of each line the IMDB rating (x out of 10) and the dutch moviemeter rating (x out of 5) is noted.

Frankenstein's Army is a good movie!!! I bought a bargain-basement used DVD of it, thinking it might be just a good schlock-fest, but it was actually really good.

(It is interesting that, in a "found-footage" film with Russian soldiers that everyone is speaking in English, though. This is the norm in traditional movie format where we understand that they are speaking their own language but it's being "magically" translated for us. Never seen that done in a found-footage film before. Interesting 4th-wall breaking there.)

KyriakosCH

I now saw 13 sins. Can't say it was good, but it had Ron Perlman :)

Will probably also watch Clown, for similar reasons:

It has Peter Stormare, as a scholar. I mean this is almost Command & Conquer level  :=

Update: Damn it, Peter Stormare disappointed me :/

KyriakosCH

By the way, the original The houses that October built, was cool. At least until the very end.

But don't watch the sequel, cause imo it was absolute trash.

KyriakosCH

Watch anything new?

I saw Antrum, which was pure garbage  8-)

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 12/05/2020 18:47:42
Watch anything new?

I just vvatched The VVitch vvhich vvas quite vvell done.

Laura Hunt

Watch anything new?

I watched The Borderlands a few days ago and liked it quite a bit. Good pacing, eerie moments, a really cool setting in a tiny crumbling abbey in Middleofnowhereshire, England, and more importantly, it absolutely sticks the landing. I wasn't expecting much, but I ended up enjoying it more than something like e.g., Midsommar.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 12/05/2020 21:21:40
Watch anything new?

I just vvatched The VVitch vvhich vvas quite vvell done.

VVell, that vvasn't that good imo, though having the most barytone actor around does do vvonders.

@Laura: I vvill have a look.

KyriakosCH

Well, I watched most of Borderlands. The guy playing the tech person looks almost exactly like my barber. Other than that...  (wrong)

milkanannan

Just saw this for the first time. Gonna go change my pants now.

Mandle

Just recently watched a movie called either "The Convent" or "Heretiks" depending on your country.

It started out as a semi-competent religious horror movie about nuns living on the "cursed ground" of their convent, a theme I usually find very boring because it's been done too well too many times before, but then turned into something very different by the end, which was quite well done and unexpected and saved the film for me.

It's nothing like "From Dusk Til Dawn" but I would compare it in one way: It's like a different movie suddenly invades and takes over the movie just when you are getting comfortably bored with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk