Can you use Greek language fonts in AGS?

Started by KyriakosCH, Tue 30/04/2019 17:14:05

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Wondering if there is a way to use Greek fonts in Ags... Ie the greek alphabet :)
Anyone know?
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Crimson Wizard

You usually need to search for ANSI "language name" to find out if there's an ANSI character set for certain language that AGS may support:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1253

and of course, it's always possible to create any kind of custom alphabet so long as there are up to 256 distinct letters, problem is in converting actual text to match that custom alphabet (which may be done by writing a conversion utility or script to create translation file).

KyriakosCH

Thanks, CW :)

If all else fails, i can just use graphics for window with text, but surely it would be useful (and not just to me) if someone would make (assuming it isn't difficult/a lot of work) a utility to incorporate windows-1253 greek or similar in ags :)
I suppose that for one-offs i can just create the alphabet file (using AGS as it is) and type it in as if it was latin (?).

Crimson Wizard

You do not need any utility for that, you need a font corresponding to ANSI-1253 (that has Greek letters in appropriate slots), and then you need to write a translation file while setting Greek as current system locale (you may need it install on your Windows first). Or you could ask a Greek user who already has that locale to do this for you. Oh, you're from Greece yourself, then you probably have that on your system already if you are using greek language in general during your PC use?

KyriakosCH

Yes, i have Greek set in my system (i am Greek). I will try it :)
That said, it would be imo good if future versions of AGS (if easy to do) incorporate something like this, ie the user only has to dl greek fonts and set those for use in his computer, while AGS automatically allows use :) ).

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 30/04/2019 19:27:16
That said, it would be imo good if future versions of AGS (if easy to do) incorporate something like this, ie the user only has to dl greek fonts and set those for use in his computer, while AGS automatically allows use :) ).

We would need to rewrite AGS to have unicode support for this. This was in plans for years, but currently uncertain how much effort is required to do this in both editor and engine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk