Author Topic: [ ON-HOLD ] Detective Boiled-Hard - Case File: Death of the Space Dino Hunter!  (Read 567 times)

Detective Boiled-Hard will be a budget priced short game, with one case to solve, by asking questions via your electronic notepad, to get to the truth!

Get shouted at by your boss. It's part of the job.

Pester people minding their own business. DO IT!

- With a focus on funny dialogue, ask people stuff and barely use your inventory!
-  Visit several locales in your pursuit of a murderer!
- Listen to a man attempt a couple of female voices for the female roles!
- Simple left click = interact, right click = look at, interface.
- From the maker of AGS games "Trails and Traces", "Secrets" (If you remember that), and "Hell, Heaven, and the Neitherworld" (Formerly known as "Limbo the Adventure game"
- Coming to Itch for Windows, very late 2019! (Hopefully..)

I would like to put this game on Steam, but I am currently living off my dwindling savings (I'll likely have to get a job next year and hang up my indie dev dreams, or at least have them slowed down to my spare time, sob!) and when I released a budget platform game on Steam, it took me a year to break even on just the submission fees, but on itch I actually saw some money in my bank from Trails and Traces! SO! I'd really like to put it on Steam, but only if I feel confident enough that there's demand for this game!

So, if you like the look of this game, and have a twitter account, please like the pinned tweet and follow me! If I get enough support, I'll release it on Steam!

https://twitter.com/Matt_Barker_UK

Percentages Completion fun!

Graphics - 10%
Scripting - 25%
Dialogue - 5%
Humour - 110%
Music - 0%
Speech - 0%
SFX - 0%

The game is in a "finishable" state, but bare bones.
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2019, 13:53 by Darth Mandarb »

Here is a short clip of some dialogue from the game, to give you an idea of the humour and style!

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Looking great Matt!  (nod)
My only complain is that the text is a bit too fast to read for me.  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Thanks!  :grin:

I was thinking a couple of screenshots might not be good enough to grab anyone's attention, so I focused on this section's animation and dialogue, even though it's not at the start of the game! (There's a one room scene before it to start with some excitement!)

Oh, good point! Not everyone can read lightning quick like me! *Sticks in the code: Game.MinimumTextDisplayTimeMs = 2300;*

Fixed! If you set the (Yet to be recorded) speech on, naturally it will be on screen for as long as the audio plays, which is why I should try and leave some empty silence after a short line is said, such as "Yes."

Ooh I should do that percentage thingy! I'll edit my first post!

Matti

Looks good! I like the animation and all the details in the backgrounds  :)

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
The other option to deal with text speed is giving the player a setting to self set it to ones pace.  ;)

So, if the game has a settings page, just add an extra slider to it.  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Laura: I'm aiming for 120% but I shouldn't be too ambitious. ;)

Matti: Thanks! I'm not sure anyone is going to get what the reference is with the body on the floor down the corridor, but maybe if Boiled-Hard says something extra hinty upon looking at it..

Cassiebsg: Yeah, that's a good idea, but I think it won't be a big deal now I've slowed it down. Seems to have been fine in my previous releases. (Although my first and second games didn't even have the option to turn the speech off so.. that's just Trails and Traces that didn't have any issues with so far.)

Alas, due to a change in circumstances, I'm going to have to put this game on hold for the time being, and find a (actually paying) job, and a new place of residence.

Darth Mandarb

• Evil Sith Lord
  • Local Moderator
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • Darth Mandarb worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Darth Mandarb worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Ahh damn! I'm sorry to hear this.

Give me a shout (PM) if/when you want to pick the production back up (please include a link to this thread in the PM) and I'll unlock it for you.

Good luck with the job-hunt sir!