Game doesn't start on Linux

Started by Amir, Fri 16/08/2019 10:36:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Amir

Hi,

Yesterday I made a USB stick with Ubuntu 18.4 to test my game on Linux. But when I try to run ags64 or 32, nothing happens.  (roll)
File run as program is selected.

I hope somebody can help.
Truly, truly, I say to you, blessed are those who play adventure games, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Amir

It starts on Ubuntu 16 but there is no sound  ???

And it doesn't work on Linux Mint 19.
Truly, truly, I say to you, blessed are those who play adventure games, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

VampireWombat

Best I can do is offer to test the game myself. I don't have Linux Mint installed, but I do have 2 versions of Ubuntu on separate partitions.

Amir

It works on Linux Mint 18 and Ubuntu 16 but no sound.

On Linux Mint 19 and Ubuntu 18 no chance.

I guess I know why there is no sound on Mint 18 and Ubuntu 16. Its not AGS because when I want to play mp3 or mp4 songs or videos on my laptop, im getting the error:
Quotevideos requires to install plugins to play media files of the following type mpeg 1 layer 3 (MP3) decoder
I think if I install Ubuntu Restricted Extras, the sound will appear. Am I right?  (roll)

QuoteBest I can do is offer to test the game myself
But Jesus is afraid of vampires  (laugh)

VampireWombat

Quote from: Amir on Fri 16/08/2019 17:52:38
I think if I install Ubuntu Restricted Extras, the sound will appear. Am I right?  (roll)

But Jesus is afraid of vampires  (laugh)
I honestly can't answer that. Maybe someone more experienced can. The majority of the time I play AGS games via Wine, only playing the Linux version when someone makes the game using the Beta version of AGS.

I don't know if afraid would be the right word. I did watch part of Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter once...
But as a vampire wombat, I am closer to a vampire bat (mostly due to being a horrible pun).

Amir

;-D

I hope someone is more experienced here to answer that  :-\

Cassiebsg

If the problem is mp3, then convert the files to ogg and see if that works.  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

morganw

The 3 files which need to be flagged as executable are:

• the script that is named after your game
  • ags32
  • ags64
If you are running ags32 or ags64 directly, instead of running via the script that is named after your game, you might end up with no sound.
If you have no sound and you are running the script already, you might be missing the older ALSA components that are required, you can install these with:

Code: bash
sudo apt-get install alsa-tools

To see any issues, you want to be starting the game from a terminal and not from a file manager. This way if the program fails to start it should print the reasons why.

Amir

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 16/08/2019 19:55:08
If the problem is mp3, then convert the files to ogg and see if that works.  ;)

Thanks for ur suggestion. But no, please. The game is finished and runs perfectly on Windows. I dont want to change anything. There are also a lot of sounds and music. I would need a month for that.

Amir

Quote from: morganw on Fri 16/08/2019 19:56:24
The 3 files which need to be flagged as executable are:

• the script that is named after your game
  • ags32
  • ags64
If you are running ags32 or ags64 directly, instead of running via the script that is named after your game, you might end up with no sound.
If you have no sound and you are running the script already, you might be missing the older ALSA components that are required, you can install these with:

Code: bash
sudo apt-get install alsa-tools

To see any issues, you want to be starting the game from a terminal and not from a file manager. This way if the program fails to start it should print the reasons why.

morganw, You are the king of Linux  ;-D It works now. Thank u.

eri0o

What was the step that fixed?

Amir

Quote from: eri0o on Sat 17/08/2019 01:28:26
What was the step that fixed?

This step  :) I didnt know that.

By the way, does anyone know how to change the mouse speed of the game on Linux? This speed=20 in acsetup? This auto_lock=1 is wierd, it dosnt have the speed of my mouse on Windows and Linux, its much faster.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk