Author Topic: Reality-on-the-Norm: Reality-in-the-Norm  (Read 593 times)

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Danvzare worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Reality-on-the-Norm: Reality-in-the-Norm
« on: 19 Sep 2019, 18:24 »
Reality-in-the-Norm

Click here to download.

Summary:
Reality-on-the-Norm is a game series where anyone can make a game. This is my installment.

Set in a slightly different dimension to the other RON games, Reality-in-the-Norm follows David Jones at the end of a treasure hunt. See completely different versions of old characters, as well some new ones, as you get to witness a completely different take of Reality.

Details:
  • Sierra interface: left-click to perform action, right-click to change action.
  • F5 to open save menu, F7 to open load menu.
  • Contains strong language.
  • Completable in under two hours.

Specs:
320 x 200
32 bit color
d3d

If you like the game, why not
play the other RON games here.

Re: Reality-on-the-Norm: Reality-in-the-Norm
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2019, 04:22 »
I played this game and I really enjoyed it. I spent most of the time laughing; it's an absolute hoot! Puzzles were entertaining and logical enough to solve without help.

Well done!

Leon

• Seems like the Thumb can't get a signal here.
    • I can help with play testing
    • I can help with translating
    • Leon worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2019, 17:12 »
Nice solid game. Well done!
Ultimate Game Solutions - 'cause there's a solution for everything

Retro Wolf

• The Viscount of Vaporware
    • Retro Wolf worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2019, 20:26 »
Puzzles were well designed for the most part, I was able to solve with a little nudge or two from the hint and tips section. A few "quality of life" improvements and polish could be done, but it is a complete experience.

Not an official entry into the RON universe, it is set in an alternate Reality (well how many alternate timelines does Marvel have?). Danzvare has made good use of the RON assets to make a funny and entertaining little game. Well done Danny!
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2019, 20:38 by Retro Wolf »

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Danvzare worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2019, 21:00 »
Thanks everyone for your words of praise. Knowing people played and enjoyed it, makes the effort all the worth while.  :-D

Not an official entry into the RON universe, it is set in an alternate Reality (well how many alternate timelines does Marvel have?).
Not official until someone makes a crossover at least.  ;)

A few "quality of life" improvements and polish could be done
Could I have a list please.  :-D
It would be useful to know for future games.

Retro Wolf

• The Viscount of Vaporware
    • Retro Wolf worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2019, 21:28 »
Being able to use the walk command to leave areas, as well as interact.
Talking to the policeman, there's a lot of dialogue options that would kick you out of the conversation and you'd have to start again.
Being able to interact with the phone without using change (as long as you have the change in the inventory and used them at least once) nit-picky maybe.

I did have a couple more but I can't remember.

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2019, 01:50 »
Oh, I forgot to mention: I was really impressed with interactions and combinations having very specific messages rather than the generic "why would I do that?" or "not going to happen". I realize that it takes a lot more effort to explain why it doesn't make sense especially for a small project like this.

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2019, 12:12 »
I've just finished the game and must say it's been a full hour of laughter and enjoyment.
Never played a RON game before (frankly speaking, still not quite sure what it is), but I found that one to be incredibly funny and enjoyable.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Maybe the joke with the kid and the poo was a bit too much but I guess it's a matter of opinion.

The biggest plus for me were the puzzles, which seemed reasonable to me. Also, I really liked the fact that when I was trying to combine or use certain inventory elements, the character would always give a hint to put me on the right track. I think that's the reason why I didn't get stuck playing that game.

I really nice way to start a weekend : )

Hobo

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2019, 20:18 »
It was great to play a Reality-on-the-Norm game again after such a long pause, thanks for that.

I kind of like the look of this RON style and Eric Matyas makes great music, so it was quite pleasing both visually and aurally. A few puzzles required some logical leaps and slightly unintuitive connections, but mostly they were good and a couple of them I found particularly satisfying, there was also a nice balance of variety. Writing was decent enough, a fair amount of funny stuff, but sometimes a bit too random or unfocused.

I agree with Retro Wolf's "quality of life" suggestions and I would've probably also liked some sort of basic options screen and maybe better defined room exits for some screens.

Overall, an enjoyable gaming experience and hopefully you'll have time and motivation to create more such games (either RON or non-RON) in the future.

Kweepa

• Mutated Guano Deviser
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2009, for his modules and plugins
    • Kweepa worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Kweepa worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #9 on: 03 Oct 2019, 03:04 »
Another RotN game (almost)!
Fits perfectly with the style of the old games, so good job there.
I really enjoyed it. Very funny and just tricky enough (I had to look up one puzzle on the hints and tips forum).
Good stuff! More please!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Ponch

• AGS Baker
  • Moo!
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • Ponch worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Ponch worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #10 on: 07 Oct 2019, 01:16 »
As the leaves turn orange and the evening air begins to cool off, how nice to have a RON game to play.  :cheesy:

This was a fun outing and gave me a nice sense of (mostly) nostalgia. I had to check the hint thread once or twice, but that's to be expected. Nice job!