ogv format little problem

Started by Cookie_Wood, Thu 17/10/2019 19:45:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookie_Wood

Hello all :)

I'm facing a problem with .ogv video format. My game had been tested by around 25 or 30 persons and, most of the time, everything goes perfectly with the videos cutscenes. I was very happy about it. However, there's at least 2 persons who had the error message "Unable to load INTRO.ogv". I first thought it was a codec problem, but when I refer to the manual I can find about ogg/ogv : AGS has built-in support for playing these videos, so everyone who plays your game will be able to see the video.

So, isn't it a bit weird that it is not working but only for very few people ? I'm quite confused (and really not an expert when it comes to video or audio troubles :/)

Thanks a lot in advance  :=

eri0o

Are there any particular differences that you are aware between how these specific people are playing the game ? (Operating System, version of operating system, the package you used to distribute your game, ...)

Crimson Wizard

In addition to above questions, is your OGV compiled into exe or supplied as a separate file along with your game?

eri0o

Hey, I played briefly the demo on my phone and the video loaded. I noticed the intro video is a sequence of stills with some very subtle animations and transitions that could be replicated with the Tween module. So, this would be an alternative in case the problems with your video playing aren't easy to reproduce.

Laura Hunt

I had this same issue exactly once, when I loaded a video into my game for the first time. I ran the game from inside AGS to test it, and I got that exact same message. I ran it again and it worked properly, and I haven't been able to reproduce since  ???

Also the other member of my team had a similar issue with the game opening to a black screen, the video not playing, and the game closing down. But I think that had to do with his antivirus (f$&@ Avast seriously) and is probably not related to this,but I wanted to mention it anyway in case any of your testers have problems with their antivirus software.

Cookie_Wood

Hey EriOo and Crimson !

Thank you for your replies :D

Everybody who tested it were on windows (I don't really know the precise operating system for everyone).

In deed my videos files are in the root of my complied folder. like this

How can I do to compiled it into the .exe ? It seems to be the best way to solve the problem, but I didn't find more information about it (or I just didn't search well maybe)

Edit : The module can be a nice way to fix it too ! Thanks ! And, thank you Laura for sharing your anti virus problem (and solutions) that might be helpfull too :D

Have a nice day :D

Laura Hunt

When you build your game files, the video gets compiled into the .exe automatically if it's .ogv. You don't have to do anything on your end.

Maybe leaving the video inside the folder is creating some issue because it's not actually needed there so there's some kind of weird redundancy going on? Maybe try removing the video and see what happens? (Disclaimer: I have no idea what the issue might be, so I'm just grasping at straws here :-D).

Crimson Wizard

You should have OGV in the root of the project folder, not compiled folder. Then it will get packed into exe.

I'd note that having them as separate files should also work normally (in theory), because when AGS searches for a game resource it first looks into directory and then into package.
My guess earlier was that maybe two users lost these videos files somehow, or engine has a problem accessing external files.

Cookie_Wood

Ok, just putting them the project folder before compiling seems to work just GREAT.
I'll send it to the 2 persons who had troubles playing it to check.

I don't know how could have been so wrong for so long xD

Thank you soooo much guys :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk