READ FIRST: Forum Rules ***UPDATED AUGUST 1st***

Started by Scummbuddy, Wed 02/10/2002 21:15:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Scummbuddy

Welcome to the Beginners Technical forum.

The idea of this board is to allow those of you that are new to AGS to ask simple questions when you get stuck, without cluttering up the main technical forum with the same questions over and over again.

First and foremost, if you're not sure of scripting or of some of the basics of AGS (like animation, music,  etc.), then...

Read the F***ing manual! ;) Heh, but seriously, take a look in the manual...it's what it's there for. A lot of beginners' questions on this forum have to do with very simple things, like making a character walk or importing images for sprites.

So, feel free to ask here about any problems you have with AGS as you're just starting out, but please, still remember...

* Follow the tutorial in the manual and have a read through the manual when you get stuck. While this may not answer your problem, it's definately the first place to look.

* Check the Knowledge Base, which has solutions to problems such as the infamous Blue Cup Inventory problem.

* Read the AGS FAQ Page, which will answer some common questions of beginners.

* Read the AGS Common Problems/Solutions/FAQ web site, which is always being updated. It will hopefully answer some of your questions and don't forget to check the links contained within it.

Make sure you cheeck out the above sources BEFORE posting a question here. If it's answered above,  we'll tell you so, but still answer your question. Keep in mind,  this is just to avoid using up unnecessary bandwidth, which Chris Jones pays for!!!

Most importantly, make your thread title have a short description of the problem. Any threads called "Help me" or "Please help" will not be tolerated and will be ignored. And do not post threads like "Need help for making my game" and you say that you dont know anything for AGS in them. Read the manual first!

And don't yell! This goes for titles and messages. Please refrain from using ALL CAPS!1!11!!1 and unnecessary coloring or formatting. You will get your point across the same with plain old black text. :)

Please try not to post multiple replies. If you have something to add to your previous post, simply edit it! Posting again and again uses up bandwidth, which costs more money. Also, do not post replies like "Great!" only because this uses bandwidth too. The only way to do this is to register!!! This isn't required, but should be done. Instead of posting three times saying "Here's my problem," "There's more," and "Whoops, even more to it," you can simply edit your original post!

This also includes not posting the same topic in another forum as well! If you're going to post a topic here, don't post the same one in another forum (like the Tech Forum). That's just wasting bandwidth, which Chris Jones pays for himself.

Finally, make sure that your post is for this board. If it's not related to the basic parts of AGS, check some of the other forums. Questions regarding art, drawing, techniques, should be done in the AGS Talk & Chit-Chat forum, Critics Lounge or even the General Discussion forum.

Basically, be mindful of how much bandwidth you might be using/wasting. Things like posting one-worded replies, more than one reply, more than one of the same topic is different forums, and way too many threads altogether, are wasteful of bandwidth. Do you want to keep the forums? I thought so. They have shut down numerous times temporarily due to insane bandwidth usage. Thank you.

We don't enjoy telling beginners to "check the manual" and "check the knowlege base." This should be done already. I know it's not friendly or welcoming to tell you off like that, but if your question is answered anywhere else, it shouldn't be asked. Sorry. :)

On a final note, upon posting for the first time, tell us a little bit about yourself, like what you know/don't know, where you're coming from experience-wise, so we may better help you. ;D

Finally...

Enjoy creating games with AGS! :D
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Erica McLane

Scummbuddy

I would think to put a link to the online, and your offline tutorial where it says the tutorial for the manual, plus umm, oh great, now I can't remember.  I'll get back to you.  

It came out very nice and friendly.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk