Need some help engineering a real life adventure

Started by RL_adventure, Wed 30/10/2019 22:23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

RL_adventure

I'll probably be told "this is not the forum you are supposed to be into" but I believe I am at the right place.

So long story short - I am trying to engineer a real-life adventure for a girl I am into, and having no previous experience with that I ran out of ideas and that's why I am here.

The game is supposed to be fun & engaging for her and solving everything will get her a ticket to a desired destination.

What I've come up with so far:
1 Task: she will receive a Japanese puzzle box with a QR code inside, that will take her to a purpose-built website. The website will be password protected and the password will be hidden in the source code, masked as binary code - once seen it will feel like it doesn't belong there. Copying and translating it will be all she needs to do. When the password is found, the main page will open and the second task will wait for her there.

2 Task: She will have to find a building in her city (I've prepared a solid clue already) and get in the bookstore across the street where a book will be waiting for her. The book will be with hardcovers and a key will be hidden inside the cover. A "book code" will be written on the first page too (page number, line number, word number) and that will be the password for the next task.

3 Task: She will get a clue what the key is for (postbox most probably) and a clue for the location. Once found, the postbox will give her a map or geolocation for task 4 as well as a UV light. The UV light is for finding the password for task 4 which will be written in invisible ink in the book from task 2.

And this is all I got. I need to do tasks 4, 5 and 6 as 7 will be her finding/receiving the plane ticket. I just need to steer things in the right direction but I am out of ideas so any help will be highly appreciated!

Reiter

Do forgive the lateness of this reply, but I hope that it may still be of use to you.

It is an excellent little idea, all together, and I think it will be appreciated. You will, however, also need to consider a few logistics. Chief of those, of course, is to ensure that she can reach you, or someone else, to receive clues and solutions if they are needed. Further, it is a good idea to keep in mind that, if something happens that means that you must postpone the adventure for another day, it is practical to gather up the clues and put it all back in order for another day.
Some other logistics to keep in mind:

Specifically for Task No. 2: Ensure that the book will be there when she comes to collect it. Items in public will get misplaced or moved. Consider talking with the staff before-hand, and have them keep the specified book behind the till. Most book-shops will likely think that it is a rather larky idea, and play along. Also, do ensure that your 'co-conspirators' are on duty at that particular time.

Keep that in mind in general; ensure that all clues will be present at the time that she arrives, and that she knows vaguely what to look for. If something is missing or if she cannot solve a certain puzzle, then it is also a good idea to have 'reserve' clues prepared for such an occasion, to keep the 'flow' of the adventure.

The prize should, of course, be hidden somewhere secure and where you can retrieve it, if something happens to interrupt the adventure for the day. A post-box is an excellent idea. A rented locker at a train station is also a possibility, and you could also invite a friend into the scheme, and have them posted at a specific place, wearing some sort of sign, to pass on the next clue. Preferably at a café or at a pub, so that they can stand to wait for a while. Of course, make sure you can contact them for administration, too.

As for ideas for the latter stages, I am unsure of what to add. There is always the option of using landmarks (such as 'Go to the statue of General von Klomp, and follow his gaze to the next landmark'), creating a chain of locations to follow to the goal. You could provide a sheet of paper with holes punched into it, that, when pressed against the plaque of a certain monument, reveals a pass-phrase.

As for the difficulty, you know her best, and her abilities, and it is a good idea to play to her interests. If she is keen on flowers, consider a botanical puzzle. If she is mathematical, include a maths problem. Being able to tailor an adventure is an excellent opportunity.

Best of luck with your adventure!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk