The game is set to start in room -1 which does not exist

Started by nightmarer, Wed 12/02/2020 15:44:57

Previous topic - Next topic

nightmarer

Good evening all.

This is my first post, I started with the tutorials and I don't know why I am having this error, because I followed the steps in the tutorials.
I created my empty project and created my first room, but when I run it shows the following error "The game is set to start in room -1 which does not exist",
but the room exists. At least the room 1, not the room -1 which the AGS says that is not possible to enter this room.
I tried to search how to change this but I can't find it.
Can anybody please tell me what am I doing wrong?

Regards.

morganw

If you look at the settings for the player character, you need to change the starting room to a room number that exists.
-1 means that it isn't configured (the controls and message about this value are not very easy to understand, unfortunately).

Cassiebsg

-1 is often (if not all the time) to send npcs out a room, if you don't want them to show up in other rooms that is.

You game will always start in the room the player character is set to start. So like morganw said, just go to your player character and in it's properties, set it to the room you want to start in. In this case room 1.  :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

ManicMatt

You'll find yourself changing this setting in the future temporarily so you can quickly test each room without having to progress from the start every time.

TheManInBoots

Nightmarer, it's actually quite easy to understand once you know that the number/value "-1" is used to basically turn something off.

So, as Cassiebsg suggested, you can for example get a side character (or non-player character) out of the game by simply writing
Code: ags
cSideCharacter.ChangeRoom(-1);

Now the side character is no room and you cannot find him in anywhere in the game anymore ;)

The "-1" is used in many places to turn something off.

Here are a few examples so you can understand better:

If you write
cPlayer.BlinkView=-1;

you set that the player character has NO blinking view.

If you write
cPlayer.SpeechView=-1;

you disabled the players speech view, and he won't animate while talking.

Or for example you can set which gui (displaybox) is used for displaying Text:
SetTextWindowGUI (-1);

You set TextWindowGui to -1, so the program is not going to use a specific gui box, but use the default gui for displaying text.

So just remember, "-1" is not the same as "1", and it's used to turn things off ;)

nightmarer

Hello.

Thank you all for your replays. I don't have any character created yet, I am following the tutorial, I am in the part 2 trying to create a room.
I have already created the walkable areas and the walk-behind areas. Anyway there is a default character 0 created, in which I set room number 1 as default, but it still crashes.
I have deleted the default/empty character to seee if it posible to solve this and it doesn't work.
I always get the same error.
Any other idea?

Regards.

TheManInBoots

If you followed the tutorial you started a sierra game, which can be played as it is already.
It already starts with a character and a room.
So you changed some settings that you shouldn't have changed apparently.
Make sure that the character that starts in room 1 is set as the player character.
Also, can you show some screenshots of what you did, and of the settings? If you can show more and give more information that would make it easier for everyone to help you.

Khris

Yes, the tutorial in the manual says to create a Sierra-game, not an empty game.
Still, starting with an empty game, creating room #1 and creating a character and setting her as player character and setting her starting room to room 1 should definitely also work.

nightmarer

Ok! That was the problem. I created a character and I made him the player character, then everything now works!

Thank you for your patience.

TheManInBoots

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk