Background Blitz: Glowing (CLOSED)

Started by Racoon, Thu 05/03/2020 23:23:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Racoon

Hey Guys, sorry for being late!

So this month theme is "Glowing". It is fairly easy, just add something that is glowing to your background, if it is artificial city lights, the natural bioluminescence or something else entirely, is up to you.

I really look forward to your entries!

Open till 24th, Voting till 30th.

And now inspiration time:

Time to Vote

Voting categories:
Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?

jwalts pics with dreamy landscapes and glowing laterns:

Jacks extraterrestrial encounter:

TheManInBoots fantasy fence:

.M.Ms spooky cottage:

blurs nightmare for lightsensitive people, but great GIF:

jwalt

Gave it a go.

Edit: Original version: https://i.imgur.com/dSUNFgV.png

"Finished version:"

This may be a WIP, since I'd like to do a bit more with it. Not sure I'll have the time to do it, at this moment.

Modeling in Anim8or. Rendered in Bryce. Trees are from Bryce.

Jack

Nice, cool theme too.

Adding some more to the background's background should improve it.

jwalt

Quote from: Jack on Sun 08/03/2020 00:25:11
Nice, cool theme too.

Adding some more to the background's background should improve it.

I added some "clickable" stuff, and played with the lights.

https://i.imgur.com/dXMAlq5.png

Modeled in Anim8or, and rendered in Bryce. Foliage from Bryce, except for the Lilly Pads. The lantern sacks are being problematic; they're not quite doing what I'd like them to do. Lighting seems a bit more realistic in this version than in my original, at least to my eye.

Jack

The lighting makes a greater impact in the first one, IMO.

jwalt

Quote from: Jack on Sun 08/03/2020 21:45:26
The lighting makes a greater impact in the first one, IMO.

I toyed with the lights a bit more, and replaced the image in the original post with the latest version. It's a compromise, but will have to do, since I've gotten tired of working on it.  ;-)

Racoon

Really nice jwalt. It is so pretty!

jwalt

In Googling images involving "glowing," I came across the photo that motivated me to do the earlier entry. Also found another photo that captured my interest. Thought I'd give it a try:

Edit: Went ahead and reworked the tent. Also added the jukebox from RoN.  ;-)

The backdrop of the Milky Way is from a Photo by Denis Degioanni on Unsplash

Modeled in Anim8or, and rendered in Bryce. The Bum character is one of the RoN character assets.

Don't honestly know if multiple entries are allowed in the Blitz, but thought I'd, at least, share the image. Not overjoyed with my tent. May have to make a new one.

Racoon

Thanks for adding another one jwalt :) I am not sure about the rules, but I will just add both in the competition so people can choose to vote for the one they like best.

Come on guys, only 10 Days left! If you got an idea, just try it  (nod)

.M.M.

Cool theme, I might finally participate after years of just passive watching what cool backgrounds others can create.  :)

Just checking - how strict are the rules? I'd like to make something using typical architectural visualisation approach, which would mean using collage of photos and 3D, but also using e.g. models for vegetation not created by me. Does it mean it couldn't be submitted as an entry to the competition? I could still post it anyway, just wanted to make sure beforehand.

Cassiebsg

The rules are: create a new BG for a possible game...  So, I don't see why you can't submit that, it's a new BG created for the BG blitz. Even if you using some collage of images that you did not create (just make sure they're free to use or you have the right to use them,, not that we care, but copyright owner might).
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

TheManInBoots

Jack, your picture with the reflection on the grass looks great.

Jwalt, for your first entry, I might even prefer the orginal version, not the finished one lol. The water looks just really cool in the original.

Here is my contribution. I recreated a scene that would be from an actual game I thought about creating and started doing first story line drafts for:

Racoon

Good to see more entries! And they are pretty neat too.
Only One day left.

.M.M.

Here's my entry:

After travelling the whole day through mountains, you finally see a cottage - an ideal place to spend the night! Even though you know you should feel relieved encountering inhabited place in the middle of wildereness, an uneasiness sweeps over you - something doesn't feel right.

[imgzoom]https://imgur.com/9MLI6W9.png[/imgzoom]

Done in SketchUp, Lumion 10 and Gimp. Textures and cutouts mostly from mrcutout.com or sketchuptextureclub.com.

Underestimated time needed to do everything properly - as always. But I managed to finish it anyway, hooray!  :)

blur

As you closed the door, you knew why the concierge gave you a discount for this room.
[imgzoom]https://files.catbox.moe/m5un5v.gif[/imgzoom]

TheManInBoots

Quote from: blur on Tue 24/03/2020 13:16:25
you knew why the concierge gave you a discount for this room.
lol

Racoon

Ok, I will start.

Concept: .M.M
Playability: jwalt
Artistic Execution: TheManInBoots

By the way, I also really like your GIF blur, I wish there was more of them in BackgroundBlitz :)

cat

Concept: blur
Playability: jwalt (lake)
Artistic Execution: jwalt (space)

I was not sure how to deal with jwalt's entries, if the second one does compete or not, and whether they count as separate entries.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk