Seen any cool horror films lately?

Started by KyriakosCH, Wed 17/04/2019 00:45:21

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

Quote from: KyriakosCH
I suppose it has no tie to the Wells story?
It is based on H.G. Well's novel.
Not sure how much though.

KyriakosCH

Well HG Well's story is about a scientist who supposedly found a way to make himself invisible, and rapidly becomes insane :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

Quote from: arj0n on Sat 11/04/2020 20:41:22
Here's my list of horror movies of the last 10 years I still remember (sorted alphabetically and descending year by year).
At the end of each line the IMDB rating (x out of 10) and the dutch moviemeter rating (x out of 5) is noted.

Frankenstein's Army is a good movie!!! I bought a bargain-basement used DVD of it, thinking it might be just a good schlock-fest, but it was actually really good.

(It is interesting that, in a "found-footage" film with Russian soldiers that everyone is speaking in English, though. This is the norm in traditional movie format where we understand that they are speaking their own language but it's being "magically" translated for us. Never seen that done in a found-footage film before. Interesting 4th-wall breaking there.)

KyriakosCH

I now saw 13 sins. Can't say it was good, but it had Ron Perlman :)

Will probably also watch Clown, for similar reasons:

It has Peter Stormare, as a scholar. I mean this is almost Command & Conquer level  :=

Update: Damn it, Peter Stormare disappointed me :/

KyriakosCH

By the way, the original The houses that October built, was cool. At least until the very end.

But don't watch the sequel, cause imo it was absolute trash.

KyriakosCH

Watch anything new?

I saw Antrum, which was pure garbage  8-)

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 12/05/2020 18:47:42
Watch anything new?

I just vvatched The VVitch vvhich vvas quite vvell done.

Laura Hunt

Watch anything new?

I watched The Borderlands a few days ago and liked it quite a bit. Good pacing, eerie moments, a really cool setting in a tiny crumbling abbey in Middleofnowhereshire, England, and more importantly, it absolutely sticks the landing. I wasn't expecting much, but I ended up enjoying it more than something like e.g., Midsommar.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 12/05/2020 21:21:40
Watch anything new?

I just vvatched The VVitch vvhich vvas quite vvell done.

VVell, that vvasn't that good imo, though having the most barytone actor around does do vvonders.

@Laura: I vvill have a look.

KyriakosCH

Well, I watched most of Borderlands. The guy playing the tech person looks almost exactly like my barber. Other than that...  (wrong)

milkanannan

Just saw this for the first time. Gonna go change my pants now.

Mandle

Just recently watched a movie called either "The Convent" or "Heretiks" depending on your country.

It started out as a semi-competent religious horror movie about nuns living on the "cursed ground" of their convent, a theme I usually find very boring because it's been done too well too many times before, but then turned into something very different by the end, which was quite well done and unexpected and saved the film for me.

It's nothing like "From Dusk Til Dawn" but I would compare it in one way: It's like a different movie suddenly invades and takes over the movie just when you are getting comfortably bored with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk