The Beekeeper's Picnic (Kickstarter Underway!)

Started by Jabbage, Sat 24/09/2022 20:48:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Rincewind

This really looks right up my alley,
love the graphics and the setting!  Definitely wishlisting this on Steam.

brushfe

This is amazing! Congratulations on everything so far. I've wishlisted the game!

Jabbage

Thank you for all the lovely comments and support, everyone!

It's been a busy few months for this project since my last post, although I can't say much development actually got done!

I was invited to a conference at the British Library to talk about my game and Sherlock Holmes games in general, and the problems of adaptation in interactive narratives.
This was more than a little intimidating because I feel like I don't know a lot about game design (especially the lingo!), and a lot of the audience did. It was a great few days though.
I got a free sneak peek at their current exhibition on digital storytelling, which I definitely recommend checking out if you're in London this Summer!

I've been scrambling over the past month because I'm planning a Kickstarter campaign for late September and really like to take part in Steam NextFest in October, which means pulling together a "proper" demo, and wrangling Steam's convoluted back end to get all the files working. Just as everything was going great my computer died and I wasted a few weeks trying to get it repaired, before realising I was going to give in and buy a replacement.

One of the best decisions I feel I made was commissioning an excellent artist to create some gorgeous cover art for me which I could use for all the graphics I need across Steam, Itch and Kickstarter.
I've been doing all the artwork in the game myself and I feel like I could have whipped something up, but being able to outsource it so I could think about other things was such a load off my mind, and I'm so much happier with the final product than I think I would have been if I'd done the artwork myself.

I've also got a brand new trailer, woo!

You can follow the Kickstarter here!

RootBound

Great to see some updates! Love the trailer. Looks like you put a lot of thought into the writing, and the details in the art are incredible.  :)
They/them. Here are some of my games:

Rik_Vargard

That's a very nice trailer!
And very (!) nice classic pixel art.
Looks like there will be a lot going on there, gameplay wise.
Keep up the great work :)

Jabbage

Thanks! I hope so, the gameplay is the bit I'm most nervous about!  (laugh)

Jabbage

Exciting news!
I launched a kickstarter for the project today... and it's already fully funded!

I kept the goal quite modest because I had a couple of very specific goals in mind, but I have to admit I'm really surprised that it's funded quite so quickly!

AndreasBlack

It's almost as if you had a photography of me as reference. Tall and skinny figures is the way i guess (laugh) Started following your Youtube channel :) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk