The Occultist: Bridge Under Troubled Water DEMO

Started by WanderingWizard, Thu 20/04/2023 07:37:12

Previous topic - Next topic

WanderingWizard

Dr. Ian James McDermott returns in this sequel to The Occultist: Old Growth. For almost two decades, the Bunnyman Bridge has drawn a crowd with its sordid history and the creepy tales of an entity in a rabbit costume that attacks visitors with an axe. It's Halloween, October 31st, 1986, and you have decided to make sure it never happens again, but there is already a crowd gathering, along with some angry police officers intent on making your job impossible!

Please take a look at the playable teaser and improve the future of the series by telling me what you think!

Progress:
Graphics: 90%
SFX: 80%
Story: 90%
Scripting: 10%
Music: Technically 100%, but I'm using the royalty free music from the first game and I'd like to do a complete overhaul with my own stuff.

Screenshots:

BunnyShoggoth

Wow, amazing concept; I played through the demo, and I'm really looking forward to this one! I thought you invented the Bunnyman, but then I googled it, and saw that it actually exists! In fact, there was also a guy who jumped off a bridge in an Easter Bunny suit in 1996; perhaps it could also be inspiration for the story.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Silly-Rabbit-Stunt-Lands-Skydiver-Into-Financial-2982574.php

https://i.ibb.co/C2thSn6/Bunny.png
-- moderator edit to remove non-game related image

WanderingWizard

Quote from: BunnyShoggoth on Fri 21/04/2023 01:42:18In fact, there was also a guy who jumped off a bridge in an Easter Bunny suit in 1996; perhaps it could also be inspiration for the story.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! And boy, that picture does not have the appropriate tone lol. It's almost like an invitation for kids to jump off a bridge!

Most of the ESPER and Occultist continuity is actually based on my own real-life experiences as a paranormal investigator. I actually brought a crew out to the Bunnyman Bridge in 2002, but as you might expect, the story in my game is much more interesting. We pretty much just hung out that night waiting for something to happen, and nobody got murdered. I did a lot of research to prepare, though, and it's a really neat urban legend that I've been looking forward to writing a game about for quite some time.

TheFrighter

Quote from: WanderingWizard on Fri 21/04/2023 02:40:51I'm glad you enjoyed it! And boy, that picture does not have the appropriate tone lol. It's almost like an invitation for kids to jump off a bridge!

About this... The game will be all-age or for mature audience, with profanity or gore?

_

WanderingWizard

Quote from: TheFrighter on Fri 21/04/2023 08:48:35About this... The game will be all-age or for mature audience, with profanity or gore?

It's for mature audiences, not R but probably what you might consider PG-13. That's why I mentioned that the picture posted by BunnyShoggoth wasn't the appropriate tone... it looks like a happy kid's Easter party invitation (I just noticed a moderator removed the image, so that might be the source of the confusion). This is a horror game about a practitioner of the occult hunting down the forces of darkness. There is a link to the playable teaser in the initial entry if you want to try it out.

There is some profanity, although like I said it's more PG-13 than R language, and there are some violent and disturbing scenes, but I tend to disdain using gore as a means to make it scary... I prefer psychological horror. That having been said, this is based on a true story about a guy dressing up in a bunny suit who survives in the woods by eating bunnies and attacking anyone who comes around with an axe, so there may be some, but it won't be pervasive.

Also, note that most games with "occult" in the title have to do with "the occult" meaning "evil" and the protagonist of the game working against it. This is not the proper definition of the word, and this game shows an anti-religious occultist as a good (although somewhat grumpy) guy and the main protagonist of the game... I only mention that because some people might find that more offensive than profanity or gore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk