Truth be Trolled - a fantasy detective story in glorious 1080p!

Started by Honza, Fri 22/05/2020 00:48:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Quote from: Honza on Fri 29/05/2020 13:48:10
Happy people like the graphics, thanks everyone! I was taking snapshots while drawing one of those backgrounds to see how much time it actually takes me, so here's a bit of making-of:
This is so beautiful, you can really see the effort that went into it!

Cassiebsg

Quite agree!  (nod) Lovely. I always love to see these "making of"...

Just one remark... you forgot to post the time...  (laugh) So... how much elapsed time does that gif cover? 
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Honza

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 29/05/2020 22:23:16
Quite agree!  (nod) Lovely. I always love to see these "making of"...

Just one remark... you forgot to post the time...  (laugh) So... how much elapsed time does that gif cover? 
27 hours since I started counting, so about 30 total I'm guessing, + smoking breaks and pointless wall-gazing... yep, I'm slow :).

dactylopus

Thanks for posting that gif.  It's very insightful to see the process and the time estimate.

With all of the details in the image, I'm not surprised it took that long.  It looks fantastic.  I'm guessing it will be quite a while before this game is released, but it seems like it will be worth the wait.

Racoon

This looks awesome Honza. The backgounds really remind me of "A whispered world", wich is my favorite adventure :) but the troll is really one of a kind, love him.

ToeKnee

The graphics and animations are wonderful. I can't WAIT for this one to come out. The story will be fascinating.
If it’s not broken, let’s fix it till it is...!

javixblack

Duuuude, you're very talented! that graphics are lovely, and the plot looks pretty interesting so far!
As a infrequent animator (just for hobby), I really like those animations, they are very careful. Can wait to see more!

Honza

I just realized I haven't made any updates in almost a year, so just to bump this a little bit and show that this project is still alive (and to celebrate finally breaking a long procrastination period), here's Mirabelle walking:

Some bigger news and updates hopefully coming soon-ish (but no deadlines or promises, apparently I'm not good with those ;)).

rongel

Looks great, just like all of your animations and graphics! I'm glad the game is back on track.

Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

FlyingMandarine

Looking good, Honza! Love the attention to detail - every art piece you post looks so polished!

Also, is it just me or do you really like drawing naked people partially hidden behind objects? 🤔

Honza

Quote from: FlyingMandarine on Thu 10/06/2021 15:22:30
Looking good, Honza! Love the attention to detail - every art piece you post looks so polished!

Also, is it just me or do you really like drawing naked people partially hidden behind objects? 🤔

Hey Patrice, thanks! And yeah, I kinda recycled that gag in Off The Clock. But twice is enough, promise to not use it again any time soon :).

ThreeOhFour

This looks so good, even though I fear for any artist who puts this much time into a project! Superb detail in everything, love it.

Matti

I just realized that I haven't posted in this thread yet! This looks really nice. Your art skills are superb and the animations look fantastic. The premise sounds fun too  :)

Good luck with the development! I'll try out Off the Clock soon(ish).

Honza

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Sat 19/06/2021 07:00:57
This looks so good, even though I fear for any artist who puts this much time into a project!

That's a well founded fear :/. Some time ago I was catching up on your and Grundislav's podcast, and the part about people who get too ambitious with their first project, quickly burn out and never finish was scary. Well, at least I've got the jam games now, we'll see what happens with this one. Not giving up on it just yet, but might take a detour to something much smaller first.

Quote from: Matti on Thu 24/06/2021 14:28:29
Good luck with the development! I'll try out Off the Clock soon(ish).

Thanks, let me know what you think when you've had the chance to check out OTC!

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Honza on Thu 24/06/2021 19:58:51
That's a well founded fear :/. Some time ago I was catching up on your and Grundislav's podcast, and the part about people who get too ambitious with their first project, quickly burn out and never finish was scary. Well, at least I've got the jam games now, we'll see what happens with this one. Not giving up on it just yet, but might take a detour to something much smaller first.

Man you can get too ambitious with your 40th project, believe me. Caution is always the key. :=

isatche

I absolutely adore this art style to say the least. Illustrations are beautiful!

Nowhere Girl

I decided to give some feedback too. I really loved "Long in the Tooth", I'm waiting for a full version, and since I learned that you made more games... I liked "Off the Clock", it was really funny, but particularly since I discovered that you're also making this game... Are you still working on it? Anyway, I think that "Long in the Tooth" should have priority, but if "Truth Be Trolled" sees the light of day, it would be great too.

javixblack

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Forum Rules on Wed 02/05/2012 21:58:31
DO NOT dig up old threads!!
If you're interested in an old thread* about a project don't post asking about the progress.  Send a PM to the game's author.  If the project has been cancelled and/or abandoned there's no point in bumping the thread!

* Old Threads are threads that have been inactive for near to over 90 days (3 months).

Honza - if/when you want to post an update let me know and I will unlock the thread!

Honza

The game is currently in stasis and will probably remain there for at least a year. I've decided to release a smaller commercial game first, hopefully by the end of 2022 - it will be a collection of loosely tied short stories, including (but not limited to) enhanced versions of my jam games. This time I'll make sure to make an "in production" post only once the game is well on its way to completion to avoid unrealistic promises.

As for Truth be Trolled, I really, really hope I eventually figure out a way to finish it without it taking 10 years. From the start, the idea was to make an adventure game I would really like to play, so nobody wants to see it come to life more than me. But it was an insane overreach for somebody who has never published anything else before, and seeing how fast I can make progress with smaller games, the temptation to work on those instead and possibly have a game published by this time next year is too strong. Sorry if this is disappointing, but hey - "in stasis" isn't the same as "dead"! I've sunk more than two years and hundreds of hours into this game, and I still love the story, the characters and the setting, so it has to happen sooner or later! Meanwhile, here's a Christmas elf troll :).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk