Author Topic: Visual Novel idea I'm thinking about making.  (Read 275 times)

Jonathan Wedge

• It's the time of ICEY!!!
    • Jonathan Wedge worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Visual Novel idea I'm thinking about making.
« on: 01 Nov 2020, 22:30 »
Hey all!

I know I like super rarely post anything I work on here because I haven't been too actively in game development due to doing videos nowadays.
But I always have an itch to do up something and recently my fans have motivated me to consider making a visual novel.

While my plan is most likely to switch to Unity down the line so I can probs get it on console, I think for now I may return to what I know (AGS) to pull a little demo together!
What you see in this video is all done in After Effects, but I'll make sure the next time I show it off here it'll be something playable in built in AGS.

For now, check out the video.

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
    • Mandle worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Mandle worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Visual Novel idea I'm thinking about making.
« Reply #1 on: 02 Nov 2020, 00:26 »
Looks like you have captured a pretty slick and professional-looking visual novel style here. Not my cup of tea, but what you have here looks to me like it would sell to the VN crowd quite well.

Jonathan Wedge

• Jonathan Wedge worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #2 on: 02 Nov 2020, 03:43 »
Looks like you have captured a pretty slick and professional-looking visual novel style here. Not my cup of tea, but what you have here looks to me like it would sell to the VN crowd quite well.

Thanks mate!
I'll be honest and say that I haven't play many visual novel games. They're interesting for the story, but the seem to be a bit slow for my taste. So, what I've been looking into a way to balance things out with something that's a little more up my alley by seeing how games like Persona 3-5 handle story telling. I don't know how much of this will be realized in the eventual AGS demo, but I'd like to have a bunch of mini-games and RPG elements to help spice things up and keep it interesting. That way, it's not just characters talking and telling stories.

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2020, 17:53 »
This is a very cool idea, thank you for sharing it and your success with us. I really want to write a novel. I already started writing a novel a year ago, but I was able to finish it, since the beginning was in the artistic style, but then I moved completely to a philosophical narration and now I think about what form is best to present the text in so that it is easier to read to the untrained to the reader. While the novel is paused, I practice in small form, write essays, select titles and headings using the generator https://gradesfixer.com/essay-title-generator/ and write essays on this topic. It trains the ability to write regularly, which is very important for me.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2020, 11:17 by Nikolai Baker »

Jonathan Wedge

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2020, 22:23 »
This is a very cool idea, thank you for sharing it and your success with us.

Thank you :D