Author Topic: Sleuth  (Read 11120 times)

Retro Wolf

• Analysis Paralysis
    • Retro Wolf worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Sleuth
« Reply #20 on: 02 Nov 2019, 14:35 »
I've thought about the voice acting I did sometimes and was disappointed nothing came of it. Glad to see the project back on!

monkey424

• I'm a coffee achiever
    • monkey424 worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #21 on: 05 Nov 2019, 11:10 »
I've thought about the voice acting I did sometimes and was disappointed nothing came of it. Glad to see the project back on!

Yeah I know man. You did some great voice acting and it would've been a shame for it to go to waste. But now I seem to have got my second wind and some more collaborators on board so it looks like game has a good chance of being completed!

monkey424

• I'm a coffee achiever
« Reply #22 on: 13 Apr 2020, 02:48 »
Ok guys, some exciting new game stats:

Music: 100%
Dialogue & voices: 99%
Graphics: 99%
Scripting: 95%

Thanks to all those who recently contributed to the voices. Also huge thanks to Vincent Olmsted aka CometMorehouse for composing music. It sounds awesome!

Slowly getting there. Just chipping away bit by bit whenever I get the chance.

ETA sometime this year hopefully!  :)

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #23 on: 13 Apr 2020, 08:18 »
Good luck with the last few %.  :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Durq

« Reply #24 on: 13 Apr 2020, 08:39 »
Sooooooo close. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Fitz

• Il antico demone
    • Fitz worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Fitz worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #25 on: 14 Apr 2020, 21:09 »
Duke Nukem Forever: development commenced in 1997, completed in 2011
Sleuth: "Hold my Big Blue Cup..." ;)

But that's actually inspiring! Just like your invitation to voice another character made me dust off my mic and do some voicework again, maybe one of these days I'll excavate one of those latent ideas and make a new game.

In any case, looking forward to some sleuthing!

monkey424

• I'm a coffee achiever
« Reply #26 on: 31 Aug 2020, 11:27 »
Ok guys, some exciting new game stats:

Music: 100%
Dialogue & voices: 99.9% (still need to tweak volume here and there)
Graphics: 99.9% (touch-ups here and there)
Scripting: 99%

Thanks to all those who have got in touch recently re credits.

I'm really just at the 'bells & whistles' stage. I actually revisited the source material (the original 1983 Sleuth via a Let's Play vid) for inspiration and recalled you got a 'Sleuth ranking' once you'd successfully completed a game. Here's my proposed rankings in order of competency:

Can anyone suggest a category between 'incompetent' and 'rookie' ?

« Reply #27 on: 31 Aug 2020, 12:14 »
Can anyone suggest a category between 'incompetent' and 'rookie' ?

Stumbling?

monkey424

• I'm a coffee achiever
« Reply #28 on: 01 Sep 2020, 00:37 »
'Bumbling' sounds funnier. 'Sloppy' seemed appropriate too. See competency matrix below. Ranking is based on objectives achieved, or if everything is achieved then the number of moves (room changes) to complete the game.

Adeel

• Cavefish
    • Adeel worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #29 on: 02 Sep 2020, 05:19 »
Hey monkey424, good to see you've been working on this game. Congrats on making to the (almost) completion stage. So happy for you!  ;-D

monkey424

• I'm a coffee achiever
« Reply #30 on: 02 Sep 2020, 09:12 »
Cheers Adeel. Yep, it's nearly done, thank fuck! I just remembered you and a few others auditioned for the game (somewhat reluctantly) but unfortunately didn't quite make the cut. There's one audition I recall being particularly terrible / hilarious (local gal Resulka) and yours I'm happy to say was only second-most terrible. I need to acknowledge you guys and gals in the game somehow.. I'll have a think about it!

Fitz

• Il antico demone
    • Fitz worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Fitz worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #31 on: 02 Sep 2020, 13:48 »
Well, I don't know what your standards are exactly if my performances made the cut :P I will forever be equally puzzled as I am nostalgic, voicing Nick being the starting point of my splendid career in VO ;)

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #32 on: 02 Sep 2020, 20:53 »
Nice to see this game moving forward.  (nod)

Just a nit pick or suggestion.
Maybe instead of calling the player "Incompetent" you could use "Sleeping"? That way you avoid someone getting annoyed at having played your game and get "rewarded" with an insult. Also it would give a nicer progression from sleeping to bumbling (cause you not quite awake yet ;) ) .

Anyway, your game.  :-D
Hope you reach the finish line soon.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

monkey424

• I'm a coffee achiever
« Reply #33 on: 01 Oct 2020, 08:53 »
Thanks Cassiebsg - I've used 'Sleeping' rather than 'Incompetent' - less harsh!

Crikey! It's been a month since I last posted! Don't worry folks - I've been busy! I made a simulator of my game to generate some statistics on outcomes (see screenshot). Since the game uses randomised elements the outcome (total moves) is part luck and part strategy falling within a normal distribution. The simulator was also useful for general testing. It would have been a shame to make this and discard it so I've included it as a sort of 'Easter Egg' in the game together with another Easter Egg inside that one. Anticipate game release sometime this month!

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Danvzare worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #34 on: 09 Oct 2020, 16:10 »
Glad to hear this is still being worked on.
I remember when I first encountered the original Sleuth. It looked and sounded brilliant. But it's age certainly didn't do it any favours in terms of playability.
Your remake sounds like it's going to fix everything wrong with the original.  :-D