Screen resolution and scaling

Started by clueless, Wed 12/08/2020 02:53:19

Previous topic - Next topic

clueless

Hi, new here. I read the FAQ and looked through the manual. I also searched the forum, but noticed most screen resolution questions were 2018 or earlier. Before I install adventure game studio and start pushing buttons, I would like to ask a couple of questions about screen resolution characteristics. I mostly do some art at 960x540 which x2 is 1080p. First question - Is it possible to load all my images into a project at that resolution and set something for it to be x2 and fullscreen. In relation to that, do I have to have advanced scripting skills to play with custom resolutions. Another question is graphics performance. I'm familiar with the idea that opengl and direct3d do hardware drawing. In a game at 1080p, will animations work with full performance or is there some lag or frame drops and etc. The reason I ask, is that I noticed that the engine is based around 320x240 style of retro resolution. I am aware, that the engine is always being updated, but how well does it conform to modern resolutions. I mean there is even 4k and 8k now (I assume that's not a perfect remark, but I think you guys might know what I mean). So I would be very happy with 960x540 x2. Should I download and start putting an effort into learning the engine, or would it be advisable to maybe wait a little longer.

Crimson Wizard

There's a distinction between game resolution (also called "native resolution") and screen resolution. Native resolution - is one your game is made in, and screen resolution is how it's shown on player's screen.
Native resolution is set for a game by its developer.
Screen resolution is set by each player of your game individually (including yourself when you're testing it). You may provide a default setup, but any player may change it to their liking (besides everyone have different systems and monitors).
You do not need to script anything for scaling full game, this is done automatically by the engine.

Because engine uses hardware-accelerated renderers (including OpenGL) scaling is performed very fast, so one may have, for an extreme example, 320x200 game run at 4k without problems on user's computer.

The actual performance depends on native game resolution, size and number of sprites used. The inner workings of AGS and the way it prepares resources before showing on screen are still not ideal, especially compared to modern engines, and very high native resolution, very long smooth animations etc may cause troubles.
960x540 that you mentioned could work pretty fine, people were making alot of 1280x720 games in the past years. There were few projects above that too, with varied results.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk