MAGS March “Journey” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 03/03/2021 12:38:26

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS April?

Food Wars by Slasher
2 (20%)
I Rented a Boat by eri0o
5 (50%)
Huggles Goes on a Trip by fernewelten
1 (10%)
Return Journey by GOC Games
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Fri 23/04/2021 05:28:26

eri0o

Ok, I played Food Wars and Return Journey! I can't download Huggles Goes on a Trip, I click on the link but it simply doesn't download for me - I am using Google Chrome.

Spoiler
[close]

Here are my notes...

Food Wars
Spoiler
Lovely game! I never had so many items on my inventory! I liked the map menu and clicking to switch places is really practical, I also liked that it was a flying character that drew the eagle's nest. This game has the right amount of backtracking, using the small areas well. When reaching the end, it would be tedious to walk all the way back, so the game has a nice way of doing it for you, I liked that!

I think the fly disappeared, but he says he is disappearing, guess I needed to get him food faster, maybe?

One thing though, I thought the main character was a little pig, so I just ignored that he was to be a hamster and mentally played with him as a little pig!
[close]

Return Journey
Spoiler
I kinda wanted a better look at the aircraft at the start, but I guess this not having it allows you to replay the game. But it works as is, so as you walk, you understand the ship and make yourself ready for the events when them come, so you don't waste any time.

I liked a lot, and the end was a bit terrifying when it hits you with historical facts. The gameplay could work too in a slight bigger ship with procedural disasters hitting, more levels or co-op play!

I couldn't figure how to save the pilot after he gets shot in the leg.
[close]

fernewelten

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 02/04/2021 14:23:58
I can't download Huggles Goes on a Trip,

Please retry downloading. It used to have a problem at some time late yesterday night, but I re-uploaded it then.

EDIT: It seems that certain browsers can't properly grok "http://" addresses. I've modified my configuration so that "https://" addresses now work, too. Please download the game at https://www.loquimur-online.de/ags/HugglesGoesOnATrip/Windows.zip .

heltenjon

My thoughts after finishing the entries:

Huggles Goes on a Trip:
Spoiler
Atmospheric Easter game. I liked the design in levels, where I had to solve the problems in one location before progressing. And the reason it worked, is that the puzzles are designed really well. I especially liked the lock minigame. And the bridge guard had me in stitches. Great dialogue there!
[close]

I Rented a Boat:
Spoiler
How to make a maze that's not a maze? Run around in an open landscape, trying to get a phone signal! This is an experiment with voxelspace rendering, reminding me of time spent playing Super Huey many years ago. I guess the looks won't appeal to everyone, but it's impressive nonetheless. I found this game very hard, but managed to reach the good ending eventually. It was interesting to play something so totally different. I betatested on this one, so I can't vote for it, as I understand the unwritten rules.
[close]

Return Journey:
Spoiler
The timed game mechanics makes a lot of sense in this instance. I had to play twice to save everyone - killed the pilot the first time. I tried to kill everyone after that, just to see if I got to parachute out.  (laugh) The game teaches a lot of war history in five minutes - you're learning while having fun. One error - the bomb aimer has the tail gunner's description.
[close]

Food Wars:
Spoiler
Slasher is great with talking animals, and this game is no exception. The map is very cool and functional, and the personalities of the animals makes this like another children's book come to life. Also fun with the easy arcade sequences.
[close]

So, who to vote for?
Spoiler
I liked all the games, but I think I had the most fun with the puzzles in Huggles Goes on a Trip, so I will vote for that one.
[close]

eri0o

I managed to play Huggles goes on a Trip after the https fix!

But I got totally stuck at a puzzle... And can't finish the game.

Spoiler
[close]

fernewelten

Quote from: eri0o on Sun 04/04/2021 16:47:59
But I got totally stuck at a puzzle...

Spoiler

Look at the tiles marked in red below: Their lines run into an edge of the puzzle. This can't be right. The tiles must be turned in such a way that all the tile lines continue on other tiles or else the lines can't end in a diode. So no tiles can have lines on them that run into a puzzle edge.

For example, take the tile that has been marked in the rightmost column in the picture above. It can only be turned in one of two ways:
or .
All the other orientations make the line run into the puzzle edge.

Now consider the top left tile that has been marked in the top picture above:
The only way it can be turned is  . All the other orientations make its line run into the puzzle edge.

... so the tile to the right of it is okay (its line doesn't run into the puzzle edge and it also joins the line on the adjacent tile)

... but the then following tile is not okay it doesn't join a tile that we know is okay).

So let's turn that latter tile into the only orientation that matches the tile to the left: We get .

But now the tile that follows then can't be right: For one, it runs into the puzzle edge, and for another, it doesn't match its left neighbour....
[close]

Try to see if you can work your way to the solution in this manner. Work from the puzzle edges inwards. Note that the puzzle has a "hole" in the middle: This "hole" is a puzzle edge too.

Shadow1000

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 02/04/2021 14:23:58

Spoiler

I couldn't figure how to save the pilot after he gets shot in the leg.
[close]

Spoiler
look in the toilet on the far right of the airplane
[close]

Shadow1000

Great batch of entries this month!

My thoughts:

Food Wars by Slasher
Spoiler
Great application of the theme. The game features all the elements you expect from a Slasher game! As someone pointed out, the map was a really nice addition over the previous button-driven navigation. I particularly enjoyed the area that was only added when it became available
[close]

I Rented a Boat by eri0o
Spoiler
Holy COW! Creating a 3D immersive experience in AGS in a matter of weeks is an unparalleled feat. Good story and gameplay. And I have to mention that I LOVE games where I get to explore!!

I found the graphics to be a bit too unrefined and the navigation confusing at times, particularly in caves. There were times that I wasn't clear on what happened (I actually didn't know that I acquired the cube or that it was a cube, or the key until I saw them in inventory. I felt myself getting a bit impatient during the text-only intro to the game.

That said, this entry is a groundbreaker and really opens new options for what you can do in AGS.
[close]

Spoiler
This game clinched it in all areas: idea, story, graphics, puzzles, humour. I LOVED the feminist guard persona and how a puzzle was made out of her!
[close]

Spoiler
Not as much an adventure game as quick thinking and action. I played 3 times till I got a perfect score. I would recommend that when the game ends, you get more of a comment on your performance rather than a generic explanation. Overall a really nice experience
[close]

And the vote goes to....
Spoiler
Actually, to me it was a toss up between I Rented a Boat because of the effort in almost inventing a game engine for a contest entry and Huggles. I thought about it and overall, I felt I had a more enjoyable experience playing Huggles because despite being more conventional, it felt more complete and refined and therefore received by vote.
[close]

Great job!
Huggles Goes on a Trip by ferneweltenReturn Journey by GOC Games

fernewelten

Something is off.  ;-D
Going by what people have claimed, there should be (at least) two votes for Huggles Goes On A Trip.

Creamy

Congratulations Eri0o

Some late reviews:

Food Wars by Slasher
Spoiler
Quite long. I wasn't really sold on the story or the puzzles but I could proceed without much trouble.
[close]

I Rented a Boat by eri0o
Spoiler
Technical achievement and well-written dialogs in my view.
[close]

Spoiler
Fernewelten delivers once again a lengthy MAGS game.
Solid puzzles and decent graphics. The story was rather child-oriented.

I'm not sure how I feel about the female guard though.
Women have been subject to gender discrimination for centuries. In some countries or circles they still are. Staging a stupid misandric may come across as tactless.
[close]

Spoiler
Nice little game. Only half of my crew members were saved at first but I felt compelled to retry.
[close]

eri0o

8-0

Thanks everyone who voted for it!   :-D

Guess I get to pick next theme? How does it work? :) (I have some ideas already)

Slasher

Quote from: eri0o on Sun 25/04/2021 15:51:08
8-0

Thanks everyone who voted for it!   :-D

Guess I get to pick next theme? How does it work? :) (I have some ideas already)

Stupot will message you soon about submitting a topic along with some image ideas you have for the topic.....etc

eri0o

Stupot

The winner of MAGS March is...
I Rented a Boat by Eri0o
Very well done.

As Slasher said, I’ll PM you soon about choosing a new topic. Glad you’ve got some ideas already.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk