MAGS August "By Hook or by Crook" (VOTING)

Started by Stupot, Tue 03/08/2021 02:09:15

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite MAGS game of August?

Win a Million (by Slasher)
1 (12.5%)
Guy: By Hook or by Crook (by remz)
4 (50%)
Trade it Forward (by Cassiebsg and heltenjon)
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: Sun 19/09/2021 05:44:47

Stupot

Time to vote on August's games.
Please vote using the poll above.

Option 1:  Win a Million by Slasher
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2562-win-a-million-

Option 2:  Guy: By Hook or by Crook by remz
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2563-guy-by-hook-or-by-crook

Option 3:  Trade it forward by Cassiebsg and heltenjon
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2564-trade-it-forward/

By Hook or by Crook
Topic set by: Slasher

You want something at any cost and will try anything and everything to get it!

Start creating. You may use previous assets...

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HanaIndiana

Nice topic! A lot of room for different ideas.

Slasher

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Wed 04/08/2021 16:50:00
Nice topic! A lot of room for different ideas.
There is lots of room... I do hope you will participate with an entry... that would be great  (nod)

remz

Regarding the MAGS competition,

the reference link on the forum page https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5477.0 seems to be dead: http://www.mags-competition.tk/

Could someone recap the rules, for example I am assuming the following:
- the game story, graphics and scripts must be original and created during the month
- the UI/Inventory scripts can be used from any standard template, or even reusing some existing scripts that you have (?)
- the sound effects and music can come from any legally usable sources (?)

Thank you!

Stupot

Quote- the game story, graphics and scripts must be original and created during the month
Actually not quite. The story should be original, but as a way to encourage more entrants we recently changed the rules to allow existing assets such as sprites and pieces of script. Technically the topic setter can decide not to allow this, but I don’t think anyone has yet prohibited it since we changed the rule.

Quote- the UI/Inventory scripts can be used from any standard template, or even reusing some existing scripts that you have (?)
Yes, this is fine. Any official template is fine (always was) and now you can use pre-existing templates, if it will make your life easier.

Quote- the sound effects and music can come from any legally usable sources
Yes. Any sound/music is fine as long as you are using it fairly and legally.

All that said, games made with original assets invariably get the more attention. But if your main purpose is to just a game up and running in as short a time as possible, then I can’t think of a better way than entering MAGS and using all the templates and assets you can.

Cassiebsg

I've got an idea, but not going to promise anything. Since idea is far from a story, and even with a full story in my head, it sometimes doesn't translate into becoming a game.  :-\

Anyway, if anyone want to collaborate with story writing and puzzle design, contact me via PM or IRC. :) I can do the graphics and coding and provide the idea.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

Hi

I'v had a good think and toyed around with a few ideas...

What if you saw that a TV company was hosting a quiz competition with a prize of a £Million!

What you could do with a £Million!

You have been selected to appear on the show.

You intend to win that money by hook or by crook.

Unfortunately you are not the most knowledgeable of men so you rope in your family for a little help...

After hard persuasion they agree to help..

Is it a cough too much?   (laugh)

Based on a real event...

This game comes in the form of a board game....

Now comes the hard part....making it  (laugh)

Cassiebsg

Help found, started working on BGs. Here's hoping.  :)

Slasher

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 09/08/2021 22:00:43
Help found, started working on BGs. Here's hoping.  :)
That's great news... I expect a great game from you  (nod)

Meanwhile, I have implemented the mechanics for my board game entry...

Slasher

Splash screen

Going well, so far at least  (laugh)

Slasher

Hi

My board game entry is just about finished..

Now comes the dreaded part: Testing  (laugh)

Splash screen

Board

remz

Congratulations, Slasher!

I'm trying to have an entry ready too for this MAGS. But time flies!

Slasher

Quote from: remz on Wed 18/08/2021 11:55:24

Yes, time does fly....this is where time management is important and not trying to do to much outside time management..

Good luck and hope you make it  (nod)

Stupot

Quote from: remz on Wed 18/08/2021 11:55:24

Good to hear, remz

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Just enjoy the process and try to get something playable on the table.

Slasher

remz

I'm in polish phase. I feel I have more stuff to do now than at the beginning of the project :)
At this rate, it will be finished in: #.#OVERFLOW days.

remz

Here's a screenshot of my in-progress entry:

Slasher

Glad you are nearing the end, remz (nod)

Waiting for you to cross the finishing line  (nod)

Anyone else entering?

My simple board game should be ready today, at some point....

Cassiebsg

I'm trying to meet the deadline, but there's still no playable game.

heltenjon

Cassiebsg's got me on her team, which unfortunately means she has to put up with me doing stuff in the wrong order, do all the heavy lifting, and she has to fix all my mistakes.  :-[

Fingers crossed.

Remz: Very cool drawing style!

Slasher: I'm a board game fanatic. I'm excited to see how you make this fit the theme...especially the "crook" part.  (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk