Soko-ban (remake w/ level editor + level packs)

Started by arj0n, Thu 24/02/2022 10:19:56

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 07/03/2022 13:07:26
looks very interesting. I remember I played one of these puzzly games ages ago.

Quote from: arj0n on Thu 24/02/2022 10:19:56
  • seventeen extra level collection packs included, giving a total of 1576 levels

Are they all recreations of original levels or did you design so many levels yourself or are they somehow randomly generated?

None of the 3 options above  :)
These level packs contains new levels (not based on the original 50 levels) and are created by various authors (not me).
Sometimes a pack contains remodeled levels which are redesigned/improved by one or more different authors (again not me).
All these packs (and many, many more) can be found online. I tried to made a 'the best of' selection ending up with these 17 packs.

selmiak

so these levels were not made for your AGS version of sokoban but for sokoban in general... how do you import these? Is there a way to transcribe sokoban levels in like csv format so that everyone can import those?

Nowhere Girl

I have been playing the original Sokoban a lot recently. I also know some other levels, for example from Janko.at website... but I'm not a fan of the kind of levels with a small rectangle with tricky placement of crates. That's just not very interesting. The levels I like most are those most closely in style of the original Sokoban, such as here:
https://www.janko.at/Spiele/Sokoban/ThinkingRabbitExtra.htm
I also very much enjoyed a few single crate levels:
https://www.janko.at/Spiele/Sokoban/MarquesSoloban.htm

Nowhere Girl

It's me again because I've ben playing a lot of Sokoban recently. I guess I'd be happy to have all the levels in one place, so I wanted to ask about a few things:
1. Will the game have the (very convenient) undo feature?
2. What will be the playing field size? This is really the problem I'm having with "having all the levels in one place": after I learned how to use the level editor in original Sokoban, I realised that I won't be able to copy all levels I'd like into the original game because it's only only 16 units high and 19 units wide - and level "Extra 2" is 17 units high, several levels from the "Extra" pack (which I like so much because it's the most in style of original Sokoban levels - as I said, I'm not into "tiny room with tricky crates"-type levels because yes, they can be tricky - but they lack the complexity of large levels...) are 20 units wide... so much for copying them. :(

arj0n

Sorry for the late reply, been quite busy with RL stuff the last months

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 07/03/2022 17:37:38
so these levels were not made for your AGS version of sokoban but for sokoban in general... how do you import these? Is there a way to transcribe sokoban levels in like csv format so that everyone can import those?
The levels are indeed in a specific txt format.

Quote from: Nowhere Girl on Thu 19/05/2022 12:35:30
It's me again because I've ben playing a lot of Sokoban recently. I guess I'd be happy to have all the levels in one place, so I wanted to ask about a few things:
1. Will the game have the (very convenient) undo feature?
2. What will be the playing field size? This is really the problem I'm having with "having all the levels in one place": after I learned how to use the level editor in original Sokoban, I realised that I won't be able to copy all levels I'd like into the original game because it's only only 16 units high and 19 units wide - and level "Extra 2" is 17 units high, several levels from the "Extra" pack (which I like so much because it's the most in style of original Sokoban levels - as I said, I'm not into "tiny room with tricky crates"-type levels because yes, they can be tricky - but they lack the complexity of large levels...) are 20 units wide... so much for copying them. :(

1) yes, the undo-feature is present in this ags version.
2) this Sokoban version is based on the DOS version and has therefor the following restrictions:

• the game uses the classic 320x240 resolution,
  • the restrictions of the playfield is 19 units (width) by 16 units (height)
  • one unit is 16 pixels width by 12 pixels high. 

So I removed all the levels from the included collections that didn't meet the DOS-restrictions (having more than 19 units in width and/or more than 16 units in height)
Also, when the player tries to import a level in this ags version, the game first checks if these restrictions are met, otherwise it will cancel the import process.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk