Doubts with pop-up menus [Solved]

Started by Zrezal, Thu 25/11/2021 20:09:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Zrezal

Good morning.
I am new with the program and I know very little about programming, but I would like to make a basic adventure game. I would like to program a simple adventure game like the one you can see in the video.

But I have a doubt: Can this kind of popup menus be done in the same way with AGS?
My intention is to develop a game like this, which I see would be more affordable for someone of my level.
Thanks.

arj0n

Such popups can easily be done in ags.

Zrezal

Thank you for your response.
How can they be done?

arj0n

In short:

You'll need to create GUIs.
A GUI can contain interactive elements like buttons or a listbox (like the 2 guis left on top in the video) and non-interactive element like a label (like the lower gui id the video).
When one GUI is shown and you click a button or a listbox item within that GUI, a second GUI can be shown (over the one that is already shown or instead of the one that is shown).
if you want to show one GUI over another, the Z-order of each GUI determines if a GUI is shown over another one or behind it.

For the animated heads you could use a GUI that contain 1 button.
Connect the button to a View (a View is a set of sprites).
Animate the button's View with a script command.

arj0n

But if the upper left popups only contain dialog options between characters (for coversations), you could simply go for using Dialogs instead of GUIs.

Zrezal

Thanks, arj0n.
It would be like in that game, I guess (because it is in Japanese and I don't understand what is written) that the main pop-up window would be the action verbs (look, take, use, etc) and the secondary window would point to the hot spots, characters or objects according to their corresponding use.

However, I see a problem to this approach that I don't know how to solve (because I am very limited in programming), and that is that I don't see how to make some buttons in the main (and secondary) gui interact with the different elements that exist in the different rooms that compose the game.

Crimson Wizard

I dont think that's the problem with popups themselves, but rather with designing a system that uses these popups (and *that* may not be easy, perhaps even regardless of the engine).

My advice would be to first chart your gui system on paper, defining how does it work in principle. Then it will be easier both to explain what do you need, and to find out how to make it in AGS (or anywhere else).

Zrezal

Okay, I'll try to have it ready by this afternoon/evening and post it here.

Zrezal

I will now explain how it works for the Guis.

We have this image that corresponds to the background image of a room showing an action or simply where the main character is located.

A menu with the following verbs is displayed at the top.
-Look.
-Speak.
-Take.

To navigate through these verbs we will use the keyboard cursors and to confirm a selection we will use the Enter key.
When we select one of these verbs, another Gui is displayed next to it (or superimposed, as you wish) showing what we can interact with (characters, hotspots, objects).

The information that it gives us when selecting what we have interacted with will be shown in another Gui that will only have one component of type Label.

Conversations will make use of the default AGS system and display animated character portraits when they speak.

Problems I don't know how to solve.
-How can I make the buttons of the Gui (main and secondary) work perfectly in different rooms if both Gui are general in nature?
-How can I make use of the cursors without having to use the mouse?

I hope the explanation is helpful to understand what I want to try to do.

Zrezal

Arj0n solved my problem, thank you very much!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk