Sprite Jam: Adaptation (Voting Until Dec 20)

Started by Honza, Sun 21/11/2021 23:44:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Honza

Adaptation

Alright, here we go! I've been secretly hoping somebody else would eventually come up with this topic so that I'd have an excuse to do some fan art - guess I'll have to let others have the pleasure :).

For this Sprite Jam, portray a literary character as if the book/short story/visual novel in which they feature was being adapted into a game. Any sentient creature will be accepted. As a bonus, you can omit the character's name/description and have us guess it instead.

The last day for entries will be December 13th.  Voting will then take place until December 20th.

Have fun!

Sinitrena

Quick entry, just to get this going:

[imgzoom]https://bilderupload.org/image/154f94616-barbicane.png[/imgzoom]

If you want to guess, be me guest.
But to be honest, I doubt anyone will get it, so here's the solution:

Spoiler
This character is Impey Barbicane from Jules Verne's novel "From the Earth to the Moon".

He's described thusly, among other things:

"Impey Barbicane was a man of forty years of age, calm, cold, austere; of a singularly serious and self-contained demeanor, punctual as a chronometer, of imperturbable temper and immovable character; by no means chivalrous, yet adventurous withal, and always bringing practical ideas to bear upon the very rashest enterprises; an essentially New Englander, a Northern colonist, a descendant of the old anti-Stuart Roundheads, and the implacable enemy of the gentlemen of the South, those ancient cavaliers of the mother country. In a word, he was a Yankee to the backbone.
Barbicane had made a large fortune as a timber merchant. Being nominated director of artillery during the war, he proved himself fertile in invention. Bold in his conceptions, he contributed powerfully to the progress of that arm and gave an immense impetus to experimental researches.
He was personage of the middle height, having, by a rare exception in the Gun Club, all his limbs complete. His strongly marked features seemed drawn by square and rule; and if it be true that, in order to judge a man’s character one must look at his profile, Barbicane, so examined, exhibited the most certain indications of energy, audacity, and sang-froid." (Quoted from the translation available on Project Gutenberg here.)

But to be honest my version is based more on the illustration in my edition than on the description:

According to the notes in my book this illustration was also in the original French first print.
[close]

Honza

Thank you for the contribution, Sinitrena! And you're right, I would never have guessed. You did justice to the description though, and all his limbs are indeed complete :). I just wonder about the grey beard at "forty years of age" - as somebody who's pushing forty, it's getting me worried ;).

Sinitrena

Be afraid, my friend, be afraid. My brother's nearly forty and he's as grey as they come.  :P

Honza

One week left - time to pick up your favorite book and give this a try!

Honza

Four days left and still no more adaptations! I wonder, should we extend the deadline or does Sinitrena win if nobody else contributes by the 13th?

Sinitrena

Well, I don't mind winning by default, but it's more fun when you have a bit of competition. So, get these entries in, people.

In the end, it doesn't matter to me, but it's important to be decisive, to minimize the risk of the Sprite Jam 'falling asleep' again.  (nod)

stylez75

Sinitrena

Oh, competition! Hi, there! Looks great.

This character looks vaguely familiar, but I can't place him. Who is he?

Honza

Quote from: stylez75 on Sat 11/12/2021 16:00:23
Randle-mcmurphy" border="0

Nice, thank you for the contribution! Interesting choice of character and great game adaptation potential. You made it easy with the photo, so here's my guess:

Spoiler
Randle McMurphy from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, movie adaptation by Miloš Forman. I only ever read the first two pages of the book or so when I found it lying around my brother's room in my early teenage years. Love the movie though! It would really make for an interesting game, and it's well-suited for a point and click. The "distract the orderly" puzzles write themselves :).
[close]

EDIT: Actually, you made it even easier with the filename ;).

Creamy

Loosely based on the Green Child by Herbert Read

Honza

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 12/12/2021 01:35:34

Loosely based on the Green Child by Herbert Read

Thank you for the contribution, Creamy. I have to admit I've never heard of the Green Child - so I don't know, are those gloves or bloody hands? Would she be the player character in the hypothetical game? In any case, cool sprite!

Well, it seems we have a proper competition! I'll close the submissions thread and start the voting tomorrow. If anyone still wants to contribute until then, please do! There's still plenty of time till tomorrow and I'll probably only get to it in the evening ;).

Creamy

QuoteThank you for the contribution, Creamy. I have to admit I've never heard of the Green Child - so I don't know, are those gloves or bloody hands? Would she be the player character in the hypothetical game? In any case, cool sprite!
Although interesting, she's probably too weird to be the playable character.
Because she's sensitive to hot temperatures, I figured she might wear gloves.

A typical Verne hero, from the description  (laugh)
I've been rereading the comic version of Children of Captain's Grant by Alexis Nesme lately. It's so gorgeous:
Spoiler
[close]

Honza

Alright, it's voting time! Here are the three entries:

Sinitrena - Impey Barbicane from "From the Earth to the Moon" by Jules Verne
[imgzoom]https://bilderupload.org/image/154f94616-barbicane.png[/imgzoom]

stylez75 - Randle McMurphy from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey

Creamy - the Green Child from "the Green Child" by Herbert Read

Please rank all three entries with 1) being the best and 3) being the... least best ;), eg. 1) Entry Z, 2) Entry Y, 3) Entry X. Voting will continue until December 20th, the winner will be announced on December 21st.

Sinitrena

1st place: Creamy's Green Girl - I don't know the book but looked up a short summery; it sounds weird, but interesting at the same time, and the sprite gives off the same vibe: Why is she green? Why is she wearing gloves but no shoes? She's intruiging. Without any knowledge of how she is described in the book, I can't say anything about wether this is a good adaptation, though.

2nd place: stylez75's Randle. I haven't read this book either, and only saw the move once, so no knowledge of how the character is described in the book either. But this sprite is clearly based on the movie, moreso, on this specific picture, anyway. It's a very, very exact replication, so much so that I miss all individuallity of the artist here. It's not just the same character, it's the same clothes, the same position. It's undoubtedly a great direct adaptation, but for my tastes a bit too exact.

SinSin

1st) Stylez
2nd) Creamy
3rd) Sinitrena

Sinatra had me giggling with those long legs. A great effort by all 3.
Currently working on a project!

Creamy

1 - stylez75
2 - Sinitrena

I'd like to play both characters.

dactylopus

Nice work, everyone!

1)  stylez75
2)  Sinitrena
3)  Creamy

Good luck to all!

Honza

Last day to vote! I'll count the votes and announce the winner tomorrow.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk