MAGS March "The Fool" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Wed 02/03/2022 01:46:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Topic: The Fool
Guidelines set by: Brewton
Deadline: March 31

QuoteThe Fool represents new beginnings, having faith in the future, being inexperienced, not knowing what to expect, having beginner's luck, improvisation and believing in the universe.
QuoteShakespearean fools are usually clever peasants or commoners that use their wits to outdo people of higher social standing.

Fools are a pretty common trope in adventure games and there's a lot of room to play with. Roger Wilco and Guybrush Threepwood are two such examples, kind of stumbling their way to success.

This isn't limited to characters who are idiots. Much wisdom can come from those considered fools. Socrates was called a fool because he questioned conventional thought. Diogenes the Cynic was another fool philosopher who was unafraid to challenge authority and societal norms.

You could make a game where your goal is to fool someone, or you could fool the player with an unreliable narrator. Perhaps a counterfeiter minting coins made of fool's gold.

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Stupot

Elvis Tanner

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 11/03/2022 05:47:35
Any takers?

I'm already working on an entry and I'm quite confident as to completing it in time.

heltenjon

Quote from: Elvis Tanner on Fri 11/03/2022 08:37:40
Quote from: Stupot on Fri 11/03/2022 05:47:35
Any takers?

I'm already working on an entry and I'm quite confident as to completing it in time.
Sure looking forward to that! BTW, your excellent Maniac on the Mississippi never was added to the main database, as far as I can tell.

newwaveburritos

Well, I had fun on the last one...

heltenjon

Quote from: newwaveburritos on Fri 11/03/2022 15:54:45
Well, I had fun on the last one...
Go go go! You can even have the guys from the last game chase each other in the background!  :-D

Slasher

I would have loved to be in this one and have already a million ideas roll around my mind. Alas, time is short...Hopefully the next MAG  (nod)

Stupot

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 23/03/2022 13:45:06
I would have loved to be in this one and have already a million ideas roll around my mind. Alas, time is short...Hopefully the next MAG  (nod)
I bet you could bang out a decent little one-room number. :wink:

Pax Animo

The months are flying by already, I hope to get in on one of the MAGS soon.
Misunderstood

Stupot

It's very quiet in here. Any news? This is the last day for entries.

Either way, keep an eye out tomorrow for April's theme.

Elvis Tanner

If there is only one entry, this game will inevitably be the winner, no matter how bad it is, right? I'm asking for a friend...  ;)

Ladies and gentlemen, Just In Time Productions and Elvis Tanner proudly present...

TRICKERS

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qe9idpt93dy0eu/Trickers.zip?dl=0

Stupot

Well. It looks like just one entry, but to be fair it looks like a great game and I’m sure it would have been a strong contender against any opposition, so I’m proud to declare the winner is…..

(drumroll)

Trickers by Elvis Tanner

Well done Elvis. I’ll be in touch about choosing a topic for May’s contest. You might like to add your game to the database. That way, people can give it a rating and comments.

Meanwhile, April’s topic is Globetrotting, so pack your suitcases and grab your passports and get creative.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Elvis Tanner on Thu 31/03/2022 21:00:09
If there is only one entry, this game will inevitably be the winner, no matter how bad it is, right? I'm asking for a friend...  ;)

Ladies and gentlemen, Just In Time Productions and Elvis Tanner proudly present...

TRICKERS

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qe9idpt93dy0eu/Trickers.zip?dl=0

Nice story and backgrounds! It definitely gets my vote :)

heltenjon

Police Quest vibes from the graphic style. Funny story that fits the theme well, and an enjoyable short experience.

Too bad you didn't get any competition, but the game is a worthy winner nonetheless. Please add it to the database on the games page also.  (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk