Graphics cut off at top when using "Sierra" template.

Started by multi007, Fri 11/11/2022 16:50:13

Previous topic - Next topic

multi007

So - here's my problem.  The bottom photo is what I want visible.  The top photo cuts off the snowy mountain tops severally when you hover the mouse over the action bar.  The middle photo is how it looks.

Im using "Sierra" template.

Any ideas what Im doing wrong here?  The resolution Ive selected is 640 x 400.  Both the photo and the AGS game settings are 640 x 400.

https://flic.kr/ps/414UfQ

arj0n

This because of a GUI on top is shown permanently (the one with the score)

multi007

Quote from: arj0n on Fri 11/11/2022 17:19:30This because of a GUI on top is shown permanently (the one with the score)

So I guess I need to size my photo to account for the top action gui?  Instead of 640 x 400, maybe 640 x 375 (ish) ?

Snarky

The other alternative is to not use the Sierra template, but another one that doesn't have GUIs covering up the screen.

But note also that as you can see in the pictures, the menu bars are currently twice as tall as they need to be based on the graphics and text, because the GUI size gets scaled up when you change resolution, but the graphics and fonts don't.

In any case, you should decide roughly how you want any permanent GUIs, and the game as a whole, to look before you start drawing backgrounds.

Snarky

Oh, and also, since this is after all the Critics' Lounge: The way the mountain peaks all touch the edge of the frame in your "This is what I want" picture is usually considered a mistake in composition.

You should avoid having the edge or corner of an object align exactly with the edge of the image; this tends to make it seem like the world is unnaturally crammed inside the image borders, and causes unpleasant visual effects called "tangents" or "fused edges." (If you google those terms along with "art" you will find a number of explanations.) You should either allow some empty space around them, or let the shapes extend outside of the image.

heltenjon

A couple more remarks due to the critics' lounge placement:

It is seldom, but not impossible to have four mountains in a row with exactly the same height. If you make this a point, say, calling them "the four sisters" or something like that in-game, you get away with it. Otherwise, people from mountainous areas might react to it.

I also think the trees visible on the mountains look far too big, if the peaks are marked with snow. Again, this can be solved in-game by actually making them giant trees when you approach. If you're not aiming for realism, but going for a more stylized look, then please disregard my comments.

multi007

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk