Background Blitz: A Day at the Circus (CLOSED)

Started by Hannah_Banana, Sun 12/06/2022 13:42:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannah_Banana

Background Blitz: A Day at the Circus

From trained animal acts, to clowns in a tiny car or crazy acrobatics. Circuses and carnivals have been a part of human culture for generations. They’ve played large parts in children’s lives creating wonder, amazement and even nightmares in the likes of ‘IT’.

Your goal this month is to create a background suitable for an adventure game that fits with the theme of A Day at the Circus. Use the pictures above for inspiration if you like, but also feel free to think outside of the box and go nuts!

Voting will be based on the below (as usual):
Concept: What is the background about? What sort of mood does it spark? What is, as it were, the big idea?
Playability: What is its opportunity for gameplay like? Walkable areas, hot-spots, and so forth?
Artistic Execution: How well does the picture convey an atmosphere? How well is it executed?

The deadline for submissions is the 11th of July. Look forward to seeing everyone’s entries!

Hannah_Banana

Giving this a boost up ahead of closing this Friday 1st July (might have to extend the deadline if ppl are struggling to make it - just say). Get your circus/carnival themed entries in!

ildu

Shucks, shame to see this Blitz so bare, especially as the previous one was so active. Since the deadline is already this Friday, I would suggest a one-week extension.

Hannah_Banana

Thinking the same, extending the deadline to Friday 8th July. Get your entries in peeps!

newwaveburritos

This is more of a moment in time than a background strictly speaking but I think you get the idea.  Just imagine all that stuff is animated!!

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/JI70rTT.png[/imgzoom]

Hannah_Banana

Quote from: newwaveburritos on Sun 03/07/2022 05:00:42
This is more of a moment in time than a background strictly speaking but I think you get the idea.  Just imagine all that stuff is animated!!

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/JI70rTT.png[/imgzoom]

Nice one newwaveburritos! Can just imagine this one in action with the trapeze artists flying in the background. Nice composition!

Hannah_Banana

Final call for entries - this ones closing end of today and with just one entry, it’s looking like @newwaveburritos wins by default! 

OneDollar

Sorry, I started something but didn't get very far. Not an entry (obviously).

That's a great background newwaveburritos, shame if nobody gives you any competition.

Creamy

Same here. I started a sketch but couldn't find the time and energy to continue.

Nice use of a limited palette, newwaveburritos. The composition is good too.

Hannah_Banana

These all look great, it’s a pity you didn’t get time to finish them Creamy and OneDollar. Would everyone like an extra week to get these done or shall we call it and announce newwaveburritos the winner this month?

Creamy

Hannah_Banana

Alrighty then. Calling it and announcing newwaveburritos the winner for this round. Over to you!

newwaveburritos

Oh cool!  I always have fun when I make a background for one of these even if I don't really have any idea what to use it for.  Looking forward to the next one!

mattcoles

Congrats newwaveburritos! As the winner you get to setup and choose the next Background Blitz theme.
Looking forward to it as have a week off so will definitely get time to enter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk