Brand Spanking Noobie here...

Started by multi007, Mon 08/08/2022 18:25:31

Previous topic - Next topic

multi007

Hi all.  I am reading EVERYTHING I can.  Watching videos on youtube also.  Soaking in as much as possible.

Is there a graphic display or video that shows the actual differences (in General Settings) of Lucasarts, Sierra Transparent, SierraWithBackground, and WholeScreen? 

Kind of like "This is a screen shot of lucasarts".  It has A,B,C."   This is Sierra Transparent - it has X,Y,Z but you cannot do A,B,C like you can in lucasarts"...    and so on...

Im trying to get a feel on which does each one do, pros and cons of each one, before I decide which one to dive into.

Thanks!
multi007

Khris

Are you talking about speech modes? Please edit your post's title to reflect what your question is about.

Also, welcome :)

newwaveburritos

Here's the short version:

Sierra style means that you're probably going to want talking heads style speech views since it displays the speech view at the corner/corners.  The difference between transparent and background is simply whether or not it draws a background behind the text.  I've never used whole screen before but that means it takes you to a different "room" so to speak in that you don't see the background where the characters are you'd just see a background and the characters like Gabriel Knight of Quest for Glory IV.
LucasArts means that the character itself animates/talks so your speech view will be an animation of the whole character talking.

You can set all of this in script too if you want to use a combination of the two.  Here are some screenshots.  I didn't do the Sierra Transparent but it would be just like the one with background without the white box.  I'm also using the speech bubble module so the lucasarts style does get a speech bubble around it which it doesn't by default get.  Hope this helps anyway!

multi007

Quote from: Khris on Mon 08/08/2022 18:37:09
Are you talking about speech modes? Please edit your post's title to reflect what your question is about.

Also, welcome :)

Thanks!  and i was looking for what Newwavebuirritos said below. 

multi007

Quote from: newwaveburritos on Mon 08/08/2022 23:11:32
Here's the short version:

Sierra style means that you're probably going to want talking heads style speech views since it displays the speech view at the corner/corners.  The difference between transparent and background is simply whether or not it draws a background behind the text.  I've never used whole screen before but that means it takes you to a different "room" so to speak in that you don't see the background where the characters are you'd just see a background and the characters like Gabriel Knight of Quest for Glory IV.
LucasArts means that the character itself animates/talks so your speech view will be an animation of the whole character talking.

You can set all of this in script too if you want to use a combination of the two.  Here are some screenshots.  I didn't do the Sierra Transparent but it would be just like the one with background without the white box.  I'm also using the speech bubble module so the lucasarts style does get a speech bubble around it which it doesn't by default get.  Hope this helps anyway!

THIS ^^ was perfect - exactly the explanation i was looking for.   Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk