Tunnel Vision - Releasing August 20!

Started by RootBound, Mon 12/12/2022 19:24:09

Previous topic - Next topic

RootBound

UPDATE: RELEASING AUGUST 20! :)

Hello! I've been reading the forums and relearning AGS for a while now (I first played with it over a decade ago), but this is my first post here and will be my first completed game.

TUNNEL VISION is a first-person point-and-click adventure. You must stop a sabotaged runaway train from reaching the tunnel where a bomb lies. First, save the passengers, then save yourself--the clock is ticking! Yes, it's basically the movie SPEED on a train. I'm okay with that.

Features:

-A simple one-click interface
-1980s 4-color CGA-style pixel graphics
-5 puzzles to solve
-Original music
-As much story as I can cram into a game with 4 playable rooms.

I'm aiming for this to be a short game (probably playable in five minutes once you know all the puzzle solutions). I wanted to make something small and manageable enough to complete in a few months (provided the coding stage doesn't massively delay things--fingers crossed). I've been reading the AGS manual a lot and have been practicing the coding a bit already, though, so I'm hopeful.

Some images (not necessarily the final versions of graphics).

This project is still in early stages, but I've been making consistent progress.
On the whole this has been fun so far, and I plan to release the game as freeware given how short it is. I'm excited to keep you all updated. Thanks for reading!

[UPDATE Aug 10 2023]

Art: 100%
Music: 100%
Story and puzzle design: 100%
Coding: 100%

They/them. Here are some of my games:

eri0o

The art is beautiful! I loved the interior of the train with the alternating colors in the seats! Great work! :)

RootBound

Thank you so much! I've been working hard on the art, so that's very validating!  :-D

Nahuel

Looks awesome  :shocked: , great work and very good CGA graphics!! Looking forward to test the game!
Life isn't a game. Let's develop a life-like-game.

Rik Vargard

Quote from: RootBound on Mon 12/12/2022 19:24:09Coding: 0.5% (I'll get there).

Haha! That made me laugh  :-D

I really like the concept and the graphics!

Good luck with you're game!  (nod)

RootBound

Thanks for all the positive comments! It's definitely motivating.

heltenjon

This looks like a lot of fun! The title is definitely a good fit. And original music, too?  (nod)
I'm looking forward to (hopefully) solving your five puzzles.

CaptainD

I'm not generally a huge fan of CGA graphics but man, those screens look AMAZING.

Also, Speed on a train - what's not to love, right?

Pax Animo

Looks beautiful, the colours remind me of Liquorice allsorts.
Misunderstood

Gilbert

Speed on a train. Reminds me of the first Mission Impossible movie.
Spoiler
Do we have CGA decapitation?  :=
[close]

RootBound

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I've finished animating the opening cutscene! It was a ton of work, but very fulfilling to see it play through.

Here's a tiny piece of it (it's not embedding, so here's a link):

https://i.imgur.com/7joyiPw.mp4

It's nice to feel like I'm making progress.  :)

RootBound

Thought I'd post another update since I've been spending all of my free time on this project and am now well past the halfway point (percentages updated above).

I just finished coding and testing the second-to-last playable room. It feels like each new room has gone exponentially more quickly than the last--I've finally gotten the hang of using the AGS programming language.

Greatest achievement so far is probably that I was able to jury-rig a very crude faux-3d-movement (composed entirely of 2d sprites moving around) for a room on the roof of the train. I spent many hours figuring out how to make it run right, and am a much better programmer for having figured it out.

Here's a screenshot:

And a link to a video clip below if you want to see it in motion.

https://i.imgur.com/DDwROfe.mp4

If I can continue at the pace I've been going, I expect the game to be ready for play-testing in the next couple of months (fingers VERY crossed, knock on wood, life events permitting, et cetera).

:)

m1k3

So catchy minimalist style, love it)

Quote from: RootBound on Sun 26/02/2023 04:45:05Greatest achievement so far is probably that I was able to jury-rig a very crude faux-3d-movement (composed entirely of 2d sprites moving around) for a room on the roof of the train. I spent many hours figuring out how to make it run right, and am a much better programmer for having figured it out.

Perhaps it would be better not to move the far background, where the mountains, sun and sky are drawn? This shaking looks not very natural to me. Anyway, great result, keep it up!

Creamy

While these harsh colors hurt my weary eyes, I greet your fine sense of composition and I'm intrigued by the concept.

Good luck

RootBound

Thanks @Creamy and @m1k3 . The game is almost finished. I just need to get my act together, put in a good week's worth of effort, and stop getting distracted by making MAGS entries. :P

Nahuel

Look really cool, very nice work on the art part. Good luck with the game  :)
Life isn't a game. Let's develop a life-like-game.

RootBound

UPDATE 9 AUGUST 2023

The game is fully playable all the way through!  ;-D  Art, music, and puzzles are complete. Just a little work left to do on GUIs and the save/load system, and it will be ready for playtesting.  :)

In the meantime, I've uploaded a teaser music clip so you can get a feel for the tone/atmosphere. I've put a lot of work into writing, arranging, and mixing the music for this game, and I'm very proud of it.  :-D

Music clip available here:
https://rootbound.itch.io/tunnel-vision

CaptainD

Quote from: RootBound on Wed 09/08/2023 18:06:33The game is fully playable all the way through!

That's always a nice milestone to reach  :)

RootBound

UPDATE: GAME IS FINISHED AND NOW IN PLAYTESTING! ;-D  ;-D  ;-D  8-0

Nahuel has already graciously offered to test it for me, but if anyone else is interested, just let me know! If so, you will be credited.  :)

RootBound

UPDATE: RELEASING AUGUST 20!

Playtesting is done and the game is ready for release! Just a few details to take care of (like preparing the itch.io page) and Tunnel Vision will go out into the world.

Thanks everyone for your interest here, and HUGE thanks to @Nahuel for doing an AMAZING job playtesting as well as compiling the MacOS versions for me!

Stay tuned for a Completed Games thread in the next few days. :) :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk