Why I'm not using AGS

Started by , Fri 07/11/2003 23:01:39

Previous topic - Next topic

cos777

I decided to give AGS a try after finding out that King's Quest remakes were made with it but was quickly disappointed with the engine. For example, the "Make My Game" option was hilarious except the "Use unnecessarily high game resolution and color depth" and "do not create a plot but wow the player with graphics instead". That sounds too much like "3dfx" just before they went bankrupt. They said that no one would need more than 16-bit color depth in games, and, boy, were they wrong! 32-bit color, for example, would eliminate a lot of "graininess" in the background images, even compared to optimized and dithered 16-bit ones. Sorry, but mixing lame excuses in the midst of funny jokes isn't going to make the lame excuses funny. I've seen the same attitude on AGS forums as well.

The current highest 800x600 resolution isn't "unnecessarily high" if your backgrounds are better than the five-minute drawn ones that a lot of amateurish AGS games use. "Runaway", "Journey to the Center of the Earth", and "Unnamed Project Joe" make a good use of 1024x768 resolution, which eliminates a lot of jaggies on the characters and objects. It's not a bad thing at all. And if the concern is that many "newbies" will want to use highest resolution and color depth for mediocre graphics, you can't possibly force them not to make "bad" games that way. It's not like anyone is forcing you to play bad games anyway. The whole bitterness and hate towards 32-bit color and high resolutions just sounds too much like an excuse for the fact that the engine is simply too slow and unoptimized to run at a decent speed at those settings, which would be understandable if not for constant immature whining about how great looking graphics and detail somehow equal a bad plot and bad game. I believe in a balance where opportunity exists for making graphics AND plot equally good.

Also, while the engine is vritually free for commercial use (which seems to be its main attraction), it seems the reality is quite different. For example, Erpy on Tierra forums said that he couldn't imagine Chris Jones not getting a share if Tierra made commercial games with AGS. Umm, why couldn't he "imagine" that?  ::) Isn't it one of the main AGS advantages? According to him, not giving a share somehow implies being ungrateful, even though one is not obligated to do so. I can just see that if someone makes fairly good money with AGS and doesn't give its author any "share", the whole AGS community will bitch and whine about how "uncool" that person is. So, in the end, the whole "I don't want to charge money for it because I don't want to feel obligated to update it unless when I feel like it" becomes another excuse. And when the "free for commercial use" appeal is gone, one might as well go with something better and more advanced, such as "Wintermute".

So, this all helped me make a decision not to use AGS. I'm sorry if this sounds like a flame but I needed to vent a bit. I hope the AGS author and community attitude changes in the future (at least towards high resolutions and color depth), so I may reconsider it. But until then, no.

Also, I realize that this thread may not be the most appropriate to post this in but I didn't feel like registering just to post a new topic when I didn't plan on being here or checking the replies anyway. So, if it gets deleted, I won't even know about it. :P

Thanks.

[edit: change thread title after split topic]

Scummbuddy

I think your jokes are funny, CJ...

I really don't see how you saw Erpy as being ungrateful.. he wants to give CJ money, which, to me, is the exact oppositte.

You played Tierra's game, correct, and you were happy with those graphics, which is what AGS handles.
No one bitches and complains, because its not asked whether or not CJ is getting money, really, and its none of our buisness if he is getting money or not.

Quote from: cos777 on Fri 07/11/2003 23:01:39
the whole "I don't want to charge money for it because I don't want to feel obligated to update it unless when I feel like it" becomes another excuse.

i like this excuse too.  seeing that CJ updates AGS seemingly twice a month and hardly seems to go on vacations.  We all here at AGS owe him quite a lot, which he is still the nicest guy and doesnt ask for anything in return.

What a guy.... maybe he is Jesus Chris...

oh, and please dont come here and bitch about how lame graphics-wise some of our games can be.  we love our members and their range of abilites, especially when someone attacks us as a group, and you could find us to be quite angry.  youd find we are very accepting of many people, but this kind of impression would probably lead us to ask you not to come back, if you hadnt already said you were leaving.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

miguel

People like Cos777 get confused if somebody puts hard work on something and offers it, and doesn't ask for money back.
What he doesn't know is that if/when any AGS members really makes some good money out of a game he/she will gladly (hopefully) want to share with CJ part of that money.
And I sincerely hope that someday AGS will become a steady and powerfull engine and I will be one to buy it.
Everytime money gets in the way of people thinking it gets them confused.
Cos777: if you don't like it, great!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Adamski

QuoteI believe in a balance where opportunity exists for making graphics AND plot equally good.

Oh yes, we all do, however good graphics are not dependent on bit depth or resolution but obviously on the skills of the artist in question.

MrColossal

um... cos, i hope you're still reading cause i have some questions

who here is ranting and raving against high resolution?

http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9122

this is the most recent post i can remember and no one is calling Ibex an asshole for suggesting 32 bit colour and the majority of people are agreeing with him. so i'm confused, who's against higher resolutions? and if you mean the few people who think adventure games need to be 320x200 and in 256 colour in order to be an adventure game then i have to point out that there are hundreds of members here at AGS and not all of them voice their opinion, if you have a problem with what 2 or 3 people have said than you're unfairly judging the entire community. [that and early AGI games weren't in that resoltion]

email Micheal Doak "Ionias" and ask him if he had any problem selling Fatman Adventures and if he secretly sent money to CJ. Fatman Adventures sold for 15 or so dollars and he did pretty well, CJ is still his friend and we all like Ionias very much! I can't recall one person yelling at him for selling his game and if they did it was just one person. Who cares?

And that quote from Erpy is the world according to Erpy, why not ask him? I don't understand why you need to bring it up with the AGS community when it isn't a universal feeling. I'm making a commercial game and I don't feel sorry for CJ cause he's a big boy and can make his own decisions and he's decided not to make any money off AGS.

Sorry CJ, again this shouldn't be continued in this thread but i had something that i needed to say and there's no saying Cos will be back anyway, i guess split the topic and move it to AGS gen?

eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Pumaman

QuoteFor example, the "Make My Game" option was hilarious except the "Use unnecessarily high game resolution and color depth" and "do not create a plot but wow the player with graphics instead". That sounds too much like "3dfx" just before they went bankrupt.

I think you're misinterpreting the joke there - we're not saying that everybody should use 320x200x256; rather, the key word is unnecessarily high - ie. drawing simple graphics in MS Paint and then using 32-bit colour, whereas they would look the same in 256-colour.

Nobody is arguing that graphics are not an integral part of making a high quality adventure game. However, most people here do it as a hobby in their spare time, and don't have the skills to draw; and equally, there have been examples of games with superb graphics but a very lacking story. Ideally you need both, but most people here would agree that if it's only one or the other, then story is more important.

QuoteSorry CJ, again this shouldn't be continued in this thread but i had something that i needed to say and there's no saying Cos will be back anyway, i guess split the topic and move it to AGS gen?

I've split the topic but left it in the Tech forum, so that if "cos777" decides to return to see what we said in reply (which I'm sure he will), he won't think his post was deleted.

Spyros

scotch

You've misinterpreted the communities feeling about 32 bit colour and higher resolutions, and CJ's too.. very few members think higher resolutions and colour depths would make worse games and we aren't bitter that the engine would be slow at high resolutions (some people prefer software based graphics for compatability, rather than hardware accelerated ones such as wintermute that don't work on my older PC), the reason we don't have a mssive demand for them is that most members aren't great artists so that they aren't really bothered by the current limits and some are very accomplished low res artists.  You come across as irritated that AGS doesn't do what you want it to do, why expect it to be that way?  If wintermute is the engine that you need to realise your project then use it, but there's no reason to come here ranting about the limitations of AGS.  It was designed to make low res, old style adventures, higher resolutions have been added because people have asked for them, 32 bit colour is an intended feature for version 2.6, perhaps you didn't read that.  1024x768 is a possibility, although if I ever make a game in that res (and I intend to) I'll probably do it in something else.

The reason you've chosen not to use AGS is sensible, it's not what you're looking for.  This thread, however, isn't.

Good luck with wintermute, I looked in to it for a while for my games, unfortunately it isn't what I needed.  I'll AGS until they add real 3d character support.. maybe I should go and post that on their forums? ;)

jannar85

I already know I don't have the same thoughts as you. A background can be fantastic in 640*400/80. Just look at most of the commercially developed adventure games released. Or look at our game, Roger Foodbelly, the screenie:

http://justadventure.com/Upcoming_Releases/RogerFoodbelly/introforest.jpg
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

scotch

I don't think he's disputing 640x480 or 256 colour can look good, he's probably played CMI, just that he thinks people are closed minded about 1024+
I think 800x600 is enough for very high quality full screen graphics on most monitors, after that better antialiasing and other effects make more of a difference to me, I can see a small improvement between 800x600 and 1024x768 though...

Oh wait, it was a just shameless plug for RF, sorry. ;)

Snake

Shouldn't this thread be in the Who Gives a Fuck? forum?

Cos, your decision to use a different adventure game engine other than AGS is perfectly fine, but to actually go to the AGS forums and explain why you chose not to use it is a little obsurd me thinks.

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Bluke4x4

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been deleted yet.

Esseb

Why would it be deleted?

Bluke4x4

Basically because no one cares why someone isn't using something.

It's like posting in a sushi forum a post that says sushi sucks. If I said I wasn't using AGS, I'd just say it. Not go on about bad graphics in games and stuff like that.

But then again, maybe someone might agree. But I wouldn't agree with Cos.

auhsor

Quote from: Bluke4x4 on Sat 08/11/2003 20:22:31
Well it was split from the beta thread. I think its good that someone voices their opinion on why they won't use AGS, provided they give reasons. This allows those problems to be identified and worked on. I think cos just misinterpteted some stuff here.
I wonder if he will be back to check this thread...

TheYak

Isn't it just as likely that this Cos person is one of many who've dropped by the forums briefly to plug one of the other game-scripting engines?  Offhand, I can think of at least 6 occasions when somebody dropped by and tried to proclaim the glory of another system.  Since Cos claims he won't be back, I don't see any sense in disputing his statements since virtually nobody in this community agrees with him.

cheddar

Quote from: cos777 on Fri 07/11/2003 23:01:39
I decided to give AGS a try after finding out that King's Quest remakes were made with it but was quickly disappointed with the engine. For example, the "Make My Game" option was hilarious except the "Use unnecessarily high game resolution and color depth" and "do not create a plot but wow the player with graphics instead". That sounds too much like "3dfx" just before they went bankrupt. They said that no one would need more than 16-bit color depth in games, and, boy, were they wrong! 32-bit color, for example, would eliminate a lot of "graininess" in the background images, even compared to optimized and dithered 16-bit ones. Sorry, but mixing lame excuses in the midst of funny jokes isn't going to make the lame excuses funny. I've seen the same attitude on AGS forums as well.

Well, gee. I am SO sorry that this easy-to-use totally FREE engine made by a very generous guy during his FREE time, with FREE technical support isn't up to your satisfaction. ::) Comparing it to 3dfx?  :P WAAAAHAHAHAHA! This engine has been around for three years and didn't even support high-color graphics until fairly recently. It still has strong support for this community of "amatures". I doubt it's going to die out anytime soon. My biggest gripe with the engine was that the IDE used to be in DOS and hard to use, but now it's been ported to Windows and had plug-in support I'm 100% happy with this engine. If you want to bitch about features and act like you can do better than Chris has, then shut your mouth, lock yourself in a basement and don't come out till you produce something. Then we'll listen.

The King's Quest remakes are proof that good commerical quality games can be made with this engine. But that's besides the point. This engine is FREE so that us AMATURES with our "AMATURE" backgrounds can make games in OUR free time that only take a few days to develop. Allowing us to materiealise our own ideas with ease as well as reminesce over the "good ol' days" when point-and-clicks where everywhere.

Since you seem to be a professional yourself, or at least want to develop professionally, go and PURCHASE A PROFESSIONAL engine developed by entire teams of people with ALL OF THEIR TIME DEVOTED to the development of their engines becasue they're making money with each copy they SELL.

QuoteSo, this all helped me make a decision not to use AGS. I'm sorry if this sounds like a flame but I needed to vent a bit. I hope the AGS author and community attitude changes in the future (at least towards high resolutions and color depth), so I may reconsider it. But until then, no.

LOL, you want us to change our "attitudes" towards high resolutions and color depths. What,, you work for Nvidia or something and are trying to persuade us to purchase more "mordern games" so we buy your new GeForce card?

Ever wanted to make an adventure game? This engine gives you that chance. When I first started using it (over 2 years ago) I actually realised how DIFFICULT it would be to create a COMMERICAL QUALITY product, and I thanked god I hadn't forked out my hard earned cash on a commerical engine just to develop games as a hobby.

My advice to you (if you care to listen): Try out this engine, make a game or two. If you REALLY are that brilliant go and purchase a professional engine and make retail games, but for god sakes - leave us "amatures" in peace.

You say you won't read replies, but I highly doubt that. But if you don't at least Chris can know that I appreciate this engine and think it's great that I have an oppertunity to develop some of my own mini-games.

cheddar

DGMacphee

I think cos is right!!!

I think AGS sucks balls!!!

I mean, it's a free engine that supports hi-res and hi-colour graphics, gets updated monthly, has a huge community, made several great games, inspired several awards ceremonies, and aids in making something creative!

NOW THAT TOTALLY SUCKS!!!

And adventure games? -- Who plays them anymore!!

HAHAHAHAHA -- YOU ARE ALL LOSERS!!!

I'M GOING TO SWTICH TO RPGMAKER 2000!!!!

WHEN I FINISH MY 1000000000 HOUR RPG, YOU WILL ALL SUCK MY ANUS WITH A STRAW!!!
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

InCreator

Whee! A challenger!
Dear cos777, you could send your photos and I'm sure AGS amateur community will accept to make some nice games about you. With 800x600 resolution, too. They could be named "Cos vs AGS" or "3D-adventures of Guy who didn't use AGS". With photos as character animations, just like in Access Software games  ;)...
Maybe CJ will give a hand, too...

btw, CJ, you forgot something --

QuoteHowever, most people here do it as a hobby in their spare time, and don't have the skills to draw; and equally, there have been examples of games with superb graphics but a very lacking story. Ideally you need both, but most people here would agree that if it's only one or the other, then story is more important.
-- most important thing is usually fact that game is finished and not dumped at some point. Then we measure gfx and story.

But seriously, thing about graphics is quite right. MS-Paint drawn backgrounds disappoint me pretty often, especially when story is far too good to see it spoiled with crappy interface. It's just -- well, sometimes I've played some AGS game and thought - whoa! what a story! But graphics -- I would draw this like that and so on... blah-blah. Just feeling sorry that this or another story wasn't my idea (I'm especially weak at stories).

But instead of attacking someone, I'd suggest to organize our possibilities to get better at that, and I'm planning to make some drawing tutorials by my own, too. Organizing means improved resources page, and occasional check for broken links removing them immediately.

Paper Carnival

QuoteCos, your decision to use a different adventure game engine other than AGS is perfectly fine, but to actually go to the AGS forums and explain why you chose not to use it is a little obsurd me thinks.

It would be if he didn't say why he doesn't use AGS, but now the thread looks a bit more like constructive critisism.

As for high resolutions and 32-bit color, I don't believe they are really necessary. I mean, I created a background in 800x600 in 32 bit resolution and I scaled it down to 640x480 with a good proggy and guess what... It looks *better* than what it used to be, because it looks anti-aliased. I'm sure that if you created your background in 1024x768 and scaled it down to 800x600 it wouldn't look *that* different...

Also, just like what all those guys said before me, if you are a real artist then you can make a 16-bit background in 640x480 look like it's 32 bit color in a higher resolution.

QuoteI think cos is right!!!

I think AGS sucks balls!!!

I mean, it's a free engine that supports hi-res and hi-colour graphics, gets updated monthly, has a huge community, made several great games, inspired several awards ceremonies, and aids in making something creative!

NOW THAT TOTALLY SUCKS!!!

And adventure games? -- Who plays them anymore!!

HAHAHAHAHA -- YOU ARE ALL LOSERS!!!

I'M GOING TO SWTICH TO RPGMAKER 2000!!!!

WHEN I FINISH MY 1000000000 HOUR RPG, YOU WILL ALL SUCK MY ANUS WITH A STRAW!!!

Was that a sarcastic post?

DGMacphee

Noooooooo, of course it wasn't!

Pumaman

Quote from: Bluke4x4 on Sat 08/11/2003 20:22:31

I didn't delete it because doing so would make it look like we were a bunch of babies who couldn't take any criticism, and we all go home crying to mommy at the first sign of it.

If someone has attempted to give constructive criticism, then let's reply in the same manner.  Although, as some of you have noted, we really don't care either way about whether Cos decides to use AGS or not.

Pau

Quote from: DGMacphee on Sun 09/11/2003 12:24:23
Noooooooo, of course it wasn't!

Was that a sarcastic post?
paused -- get the startup menu creator (version 1.1) for AGS games. (Use save target as..)

dreamweaver

The AGS is good , with simple point'n'click means when you making game just as you are playing an adventure game ;)
MAKING IS PLAYING ! :)
The scripting is powerful enough to make any operation . I saw an user use script to create a rain , and a bunch of plugins makes AGS more powerful. But I'm not using AGS to create AGS because my drawing ability is worse so I can't create any game now ( well , hope in the future I can do that ).
Anyway Chris , when will you put in Scripting the MACRO abilities ? Ex I want to make a FOR loop but it seems WHILE loop is enough for everybody . Whether can I make a plugin can do that ? It seems not possible when AGS just prevent accessing to the pre-compiling of script.
Anyway , if you can I would like to put on sprite manager an anti-alias button because though I export character with no anti-alias , it's just seems scratch ( I think if I draw characters by hand then perfect but 3D program make it quickly than a hand , I means animation) . Whether a plugin can accessing to the process of import sprite ???

Gilbert

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 09/11/2003 14:33:12
I didn't delete it because doing so would make it look like we were a bunch of babies who couldn't take any criticism, and we all go home crying to mommy at the first sign of it.

Heh keep it, I found this post funny, but better move it to GEN GEN from now.

Even though I think cos was just making a ironic and funny post (and I suspect is an existing AGSer, probably named Pantherman or whatever) I'll reply seriously:

320x200x256colour is enough for ALL gamez!1!
320x240x256colour is more than enough already! ;D

cos777

DGMacphee

Meowster

You had a whole big write-up on why you don't use AGS.... and I think the whole thing contained like 2 major points. Way to waste my time.

Okay, but here's my reply:

Firstly, I have never heard of CJ asking for or expecting money. Despite the fact he works hard on AGS, all the time, and distributes it for free, and provides these forums... a lot of wonderful things have come from AGS, not just a game compiler, but for instance, the annual Mittens event, where people from these forums meet up somewhere in the world for a week. But no, despite the fact he is responsible for all the wonderful things associated with AGS, I have never heard him ask for anything, whether it's money or anything else.

Second, it's already been explained to you about how you misunderstand the term "unnecessary resolution". Perhaps what you mean is our belief in general, that good graphics don't make a game. And I think we all stand by that, in that some of the most enjoyable AGS games have had less-than-good graphics.

AGS is not just something you can use to compile commercial games. It's also something people can use as a creative outlet, or even create portfolio material with. I'm sure it's not going to be long before somebody uses an AGS-made game as part of their portfolio. I know I will.

Your criticism is welcome, so long as it's constructive (Which yours was) and true (Which yours wasn't). Most of your post is based on untrue or highly exaggerated facts. And it's mostly our attitude that's putting you off using it? So, our attitude is going to make AGS worse? Or break it completely? Something like that? Even if you were complaining about how slow it was but.... us? That sounds really, really juvenile.

Good luck with Wintermute or Sludge or whatever... Good luck finding a community half as large and helpful and established as this one.

Timosity

It's funny how cos777 said he/she would not return, yet does, and obviously didn't read the whole thread.

me thinks it's just some joke, or the 2nd cos777 could just be anyone, I guess CJ would know with ip's (if it isn't CJ, [or DG])

otherwise I think Spyros summed it up perfectly.

DG from Uni

It's not me -- I have better things to do (like studying for my exam) than make up fake identities at the moment.

And Magintz thought I was hobmoblin.

Trust me -- when I make a fake screen name, you know for sure it me.

remixor

Dude, I bet that "DG from Uni" guy is totally DG in disguise!
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Ali

Quote from: Tìmosíty on Mon 10/11/2003 06:17:38
cos777 could just be anyone

I searched on google for variations on cos777 - look what I found:

(http://www.catchoursmile.com/cos77.jpg)

I think everything is becoming clear.

Gilbert

Spoiler
OH! You mean they are attacking us to turn people away into using the coming commercial buggy product, Disney Adventure: Creator (TM) ?2?
[close]

The above message was intentionally hidden to avoid me being sued to bankrupty for "copyright infringement".

|Alky|

(http://members.aol.com/angelgurl088/Daniel/cos77.jpg)
That's Harry Potter, if my eyes don't decieve me...

I'm meant to be doing schoolwork and all, but there's more proof. I think it would be crazy now to say that there isn't some kinda Disney/Warner Brothers conspiracy, and that any of us going to survive when the revolution comes. Get outta here quick..
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

We're going back to the tick tock to get the boo-boo. Send for backup. - Baby's Day Out

Paper Carnival

so this is probably one of their leaders in disguise...
http://rubyfrui.hp.infoseek.co.jp/cos77.html
EDIT:oh, and this is probably them in their training course or something... They must be trying to develop Cloud Strife skills... Don't let them level up!

http://huleqi.nease.net/images/cos7_jpg.jpg

m0ds

From what I heard, back in 1999 CJ was paid £1,000,000 to create an adventure game engine by the Government, for every update there-on he would recieve £1,000. I don't know why they're paying him though.

So really, CJ is rich and lives off the fat of the (Luke) Land (runner). MUG HIM!!!

EDIT, Ali, this is the cos77 I found!

:)
m0ds

Migs

I think this warrants a new flame-filled "I Hate CJ" thread.  ;)
This signature intentionally left blank.

m0ds

No no no, don't you mean an "I love you Cj. Lend us a tenner will ya ;)" thread :p

TheDude

Esseb

m0ds

LOL Esseb!

He's into cross-dressing or something too! (Tho I bet it's actually Phil Reed under there!)

http://www.acupuntura.org.br/poltergeist_report/cosplay/cos7.jpg

But my favourite is his chicken fetish.

http://bajans.com/jpgees/cropover/cos7.jpg

:D
m0ds

remixor

That is a sweet moustache.

iron_man

cos777 your post was funny in many ways. It does not have logic.
first of all when you visited AGS web page for the first time you should have read the 'about' description :

What is Adventure Game Studio?

Adventure Game Studio (AGS for short) allows you to create your own point-and-click adventure games, similar to the early 90's Sierra and Lucasarts adventures. It consists of an easy-to-use development environment, and run-time engine.

1)As you can read, Chris jones made an engine for creating early 90's adventure games.As you know, early 90's games did not have 1024x768 nor they had 3d acceleration

2)AGS was an engine with the scope to revive these CLASSIC adventures and not to create MODERN adventures like broken sword 3 or longest journey.That's why 3d acceleration is not needed, and that's why you should not compare 2 products (wintermute and AGS) which belong to a different target group.AGS is 2d and not 3d . . do not compare apples with oranges.

4)Erpy thought that he should donate money to Chris.It is in tierra's  decision what will do with this. Why you bother?Noone forced you to give money to the designer. And forget about the possibility  where Chris Jones put a pistol on Erpy's head and asked for money.Do not be afraid, we will not steal money from you cos777.

5)when i choose a product to use, maybe i will write why i choose it. But going to a forum of other products and writing why i did NOT choose theirs seems like childish behaviour to me.
With this uncommon practise of yours in mind i believe that in a similar fashion when you bought
your average car, then you had the guts to visit PORSCHE dealers and tell them that you did not buy their car because you did not have the money.(constructive criticism)DID YOU DO IT ?

In other words, if you think that complaining about AGS, will make chris jones to change the whole philosophy of the engine, i think you made a bad bet.
Neither AGS will be transformed to a product that your majesty wants, nor Porsche is going to drop their prices so that you can afford buying one!
Be realistic and simple.

PS:we do not buy statements like '''i will not come back to read answers''' do not fool yourself. We all know that you will come and come again to read the replies ;)  

Timosity

Quote from: remixor on Tue 11/11/2003 07:09:39

That is a sweet moustache.

That is 'Reg Reagan', I can't beleive he is famous over seas too????????????

Goldmund

Everybody knows it was Chris who posted as "cos", because he likes to hear us defend and praise him.

Our little coquette!

Pumaman

Naturally - I was also santiagarro, Andy Penis and Little Willy.

DGMacphee

And I'm actually Chris Jones -- he was just a prank character and AGS was a prank too!!1!

I FOOL YUO ALL FOR THREE YEARS!!! COUTN THEM!!!!11!!! LOL!!1!

MrColossal

oh really DG? that's great, you got us...

now can you get to work adding 1280x1024 resolution to ags?
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

remixor

And, PLEASE, don't forget the '&' Notification Feature.

Snake

Yeah, and DG, dig your thumb out of your ass and add the RequestPreviousCursor(); command, jackass!

hardily hoodily hoo!!1

--Snake

DGMacphee

Screw you guys -- AGS was just a prank!!!1!

OMG ADVENTURE GAMES -- WHO PLAYS THOSE ANYMORE!!1!

Hpwever, if you are all luckey, I will add LESN FLAAERRASEE!!!!!

Las Naranjas

I don't think it is Reg, Timosity, but hell, it is one hell of a similarity.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

iron_man

actually i believe too that AGS is crap, because its creator
has put too many for loops to slow it down for the free version .Furthermore it does not support bump mapping,
quadralinear filtering, does not harness the capabilities of RADEON 9500 PRO, and  the most important : the make my game aspect does not work!!!
Thousands of times i tried it but no game is created :(((
damn you!

But its creator DONATED be lots of money for defending him, so i forget all of these and i think that OBJECTIVELY speaking AGS is great guys! :p

remixor

Quote from: iron_man on Thu 13/11/2003 21:21:50
actually i believe too that AGS is crap, because its creator
has put too many for loops to slow it down for the free version

There's a FREE version!?   Why have I been sending CJ all this money for so long?!

Las Naranjas

He takes money?

I...I feel so violated...
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

remixor

YOU feel violated?  Man, you don't even want to know how SOME people pay off their AGS debts...

DGMacphee

I can't walk anymore...  :-\

Squinky

I can walk, but it hurts to wear pants....

Snake

Try wearing them without underwear. I went underwearless a few years ago and I haven't looked back.

--Snake

MrColossal

i can no longer sit on stools...

Squinky

It still really hurts, even without underwear Snake....I just wish Chris could do his thing without all that ass-slapping....

it's demeaning...

Pumaman

But come on guys, you know it's a price worth paying. Plus the fact, you were all squealing with delight at the time.

DGMacphee

I was squealing because you were pinching my love handles.

iron_man

Quote from: Pumaman on Fri 14/11/2003 09:15:07
But come on guys, you know it's a price worth paying. Plus the fact, you were all squealing with delight at the time.

it seems that cos777 prefered ass slapping from the creators of wintermute . . ahhh you can't satisfy all of them . .do you . . . ;D

Erpy

Gee, I almost feel sorry for interrupting this slightly off-course discussion.

QuoteAlso, while the engine is vritually free for commercial use (which seems to be its main attraction), it seems the reality is quite different.

I'm curious how different reality is. The disclaimer still says you can use the engine for commercial games, right? You'll need more than a quote from one game development group to change that.

QuoteFor example, Erpy on Tierra forums said that he couldn't imagine Chris Jones not getting a share if Tierra made commercial games with AGS. Umm, why couldn't he "imagine" that?

Because that's always been the shared opinion of our team.

QuoteIsn't it one of the main AGS advantages? According to him, not giving a share somehow implies being ungrateful, even though one is not obligated to do so.

We'd feel ungrateful, because we've released two full games made AGS already and CJ's frequent updates of AGS partially made that possible.

QuoteI can just see that if someone makes fairly good money with AGS and doesn't give its author any "share", the whole AGS community will bitch and whine about how "uncool" that person is. So, in the end, the whole "I don't want to charge money for it because I don't want to feel obligated to update it unless when I feel like it" becomes another excuse.

Okay, reality has already invalidated your point (Fatman) and besides, since when is the opinion of one community an official/legal reason why AGS isn't suitable for commercial games?

QuoteAnd when the "free for commercial use" appeal is gone, one might as well go with something better and more advanced, such as "Wintermute".

The disclaimer still says "free for commercial use", so I fail to see the general point of the initial message. (the disclaimer doesn't say; "it's illegal to send donations if your AGS-powered game becomes a success", by the way)

Bottom line: Don't take the make-game option too seriously and don't claim a statement is an excuse because one user says something that may seemingly (but not in reality) clash with that statement.

I'm off again; please continue with the previous discussion.

Alynn

1) It makes coffee for me in the morning.
2) It complaigns about the house being dirty less than my wife (although it does still complaign about it)
3) It whispers sweet nothings into my ear.
4) It makes me happy.
5) One time it got really drunk and it went down on me.
6) It never once called me a freak (although it may have thought that)
7) It likes pancakes as much as I do.
8) It gives me a reason to live again.
9) The voices in my head tell me to.
10) If I didnt use it I would actually have to spend time with my wife....

And THATS why I use AGS... As you can see all these points counter any points the OP may have had... I win!!!11!!!!!!one!1!!1!!oneone!

scotch

I really must thank you cos777 for intimidating CJ so much with your threats of using another rival engine, he was so scared he coded 32 bit colour for us, and sprites with alpha blending for getting rid of those terrible jaggies, please come back to us!  Thankyou for helping him overcome his bitterness toward 32 bit colour.
Now if only he'd start charging us to sell our games...

TheYak

Don't forget that it was probably an intimidating PM from Cos to CJ that caused CJ to implement the separate x & y scrolling.  

If good ol' Cos hadn't come along, Chris would surely be charging us to make these wonderful additions.  

My bet.. Cos is, at heart, a console-gamer.  :P

Ptraci

Inuyasha cosplay photos?

Anyway I think all the problem started because someone didn't get a joke about resolutions... why bother so much?

Meowster

Inuyashi Cosplay Photos? Where!??

Ptraci

Well, there are 2 guys dressed as Inuyasha in pages 2 and 3 of this thread. One of the photos is a fight between Inuyasha and his demon brother Sesshomaru.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk