Help me: I have an important decission to take

Started by Nacho, Thu 13/11/2003 10:40:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho

Hi to all: First of all, let me apologise if this bores you. Let me start.

I am a "cyclo-sportman". That means that I am in the third division of the cycling sport. I´ve been offered to be amateur next year. It should be a step to the front, it would be a nice experience, most of the winter´s weekend travelling with my team, racing, sharing experiences, suffering in a lovely way (Yes, cyclist are bizarre, they like to suffer)

On the other hand, I am happy as a "cyclo-sportman". I have a rule, the weekends are for my girlfriend. I have a good level for third division, I can win races, whereas I couldn´t in Amateur. There is also another point: I couldn´t reach professionals, I´m too old, so, running in amateurs would just be a "sabbatic year" or something in my life.

What would you do? I am 50% between one option and other... Do I try to accomplish my dream putting in danger my nowadays hapiness? Or do I go on like now, with my 90% of my life expectatives accomplished?

Thanks for the answers.  :)

Thanks for the answers.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Fizz

If your certain its never going to get more serious than it already is, why set aside your girlfriend? :)

do what you feel like.

Pumaman

Ask yourself how you'd feel if you didn't get to see your girlfriend at weekends because you were too busy cycling, and then do whatever feels right.

There's no point going for it if doing so would make you unhappy.

TheYak

If you pursue this and leave your girlfriend behind, I'm sure there are several AGS'ers who would gladly keep an eye on her for you.  

Life and happiness are all about dreams.  Does the thought of entering this event make your heart beat faster in anticipation?  Is it a chance-of-a-lifetime event?  I say go for it.. it seems like there's little to regret if you sign up, but a lot to regret if you pass this up (especially as you say you're getting too old for it and it sounds like you couldn't go for it later).

Nacho

THAKNS FOR THAT YAKSPLIT!!1!!1 You´ve made my decission ever more difficult  ;)

But your answer has been extremely close to the point. I really feel 50% between the two options, and I couldn´t had explained it better. The truth is that I see, reading the answers again, that the "girlfriend" stuff hasn´t been explained propperly. The truth is that my girlfriend and me are exceptional in the sense that we spent hours and hours together. So, going and racing on weekends wouldn´t be so traumatic, as far that she could even come with me. But it is a point against amateur.

It´s resulting so difficult to decide that I think I´ll take a salomonic decission. I´ll train with the amateurs, and I´ll race with the "cyclos". That has some advantadges. I could make the "amateur" schedule after the "cyclo". That could be extremelly tyring, (7 months of competition, whereas I usually compete 3) but I´ll allways be on time to stop. Furthermore, I´ll be one of the strongers "cyclos". And maybe next year I´ll go to "amateur", because I´ll have my degree fin¡shed (I hope) and I´ll have a perfect excuse for demmanding my father to keep me while I go to race all over the roads of Spain... I´ll also have my driving license (Lazy man, 24 y.o. and I have no licence) and I´ll bring Lorena with me, so... and using DG´s style...

DON´t PuT YER EYEs In My gIRLFR13ND, DAMN BUnCH oF WANkeRS11!!1!!  ;D (p.S. the voice of John Cleese would fit perfectly in the previous sentence  :))
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

DGMacphee

ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Vel

I wouldn't go for it, because, as you say, there is no option to become a pro or to win races. But, of course, this is just my opinion.

Timosity

I think you should go for it, if it's your last chance to do something you've always wanted.

It sounds like it's something that will be full of new challenges, and full of more people pushing you to limits you thought you never had.

The opportunity may only be this once, personally, I'd take it.

So what if you never make it as a professional cycler, isn't it more about achievement for yourself and for the team? (and more importantly, enjoyment)

but yes, we can't make your decisions for you, that's what girlfriends are for (j/k)

If you can afford the time training and competing, uni, social life, AGS, sleep,  Then you are doing pretty well to handle it all.

Good luck with what you decide to do

Darth Mandarb

I'm not going to tell you one way or the other ...

Here's what I do when I have a big decision to make:

I think about myself in 20 years.  Will I be happier that I did it?  Or will I regret it?  If I feel like I'll be happy about it in 20 years I go for it.

Life is experiences ... you should have as many as possible!

Good luck with the decision.

]).]v[.

Barcik

Nacho, I want to suggest you nothing. I am not you, neither of us is. You are the only one who can make that decision for you. The important thing is not to regret what you have chosen.

* Barcik auditions for the role of the Oracle in Matrix: Even More Bullshit.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk