fighter game <updated>

Started by Quintaros, Sun 16/11/2003 07:18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Quintaros

I've been working on a template for fight sequences within my game.  Its currently working to the point where I have trouble even beating the computer opponent but there is certainly room for improvement.  Would anyone mind downloading the game and giving me some feedback for how to improve it? It would be much appreciated.   The source code is included for anyone who is interested.

http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/quintaros/

You'll have to sign in using my userid:

userid:quintaros
password:AGSfriends

The game is controlled with the keyboard using the cursor keys to move, space bar to change directions, and f & d for attacks 1 & 2 respectively.

shbaz

Could you explain how to use this? I figured out how to punch and quick punch and block.. but nothing else really.

I knocked the computer over really easy, all you have to do is back off of them when you don't want to fight. I was losing points just for running into him though, which was strange. After I knocked him over, I didn't know what to do. He'd get back up and I could knock him over again, but never defeated him. After he did this a couple of times punching him no longer had any effect.

This is a bad way to share files, btw, if you use that yahoo account. Your link doesn't work either.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Quintaros

Yeah there isn't anyway to actually win currently.  Since the opponent will get back up.  I'm not sure why the player would lose points for walking into him.  I'll look into that.  I'm still tweaking the values of punch strength, recovery time, and speeds.  What I'm most interested in now is getting the opponent player to fight in a logical manner.

I've updated the file.  The player can now block his head and body using keys s, and a, respectively.  I've also update the sprites so that the fighters are not identical.

I realize this is not the greatest way to share files and if someone recommends a better way I will implement it.

Paper Carnival

well, knowing that it was done in AGS, it is a very good try. It's buggy though (at least for now) and you should fix the way the character turns

Quintaros

What would you do differently about the character turning?

foz

TheDude

Edit - n/m

earlwood

That's an awesome engine, though I didn't know exactly what I was doing but I think I found an easter egg :P If you press 'A' he blocks his stomach and if you press 'S' he looks through binoculars.

shbaz

foz, that's only a temporary link, Yahoo has been keen to that trick for a while I think..

To give the computer fighter logic with blocking, you might try scripting something that makes him block after he is punched twice in a certain area, and do it for three or four seconds, so that the player can't just punch punch punch punch and get away with it. I think it would be interesting if you made it so that he had to lie there knocked out for a bit before you could kill him, maybe add a kick so you can finish him off or something.  :)

I think allowing the player to back off and move around is going to make it a lot harder on you scripting this, since now the computer needs a "chase" mechanism.

To give the computer logic with punching, maybe make it so that he won't punch when the player blocks very much (randomize the hit within a 7 second timeframe), and always takes a jab a second after you stop blocking. You could randomize when he takes a punch when the player is next to him and not doing anything, but what timeframe his punch is randomized in is up to you. I would probably make it within three seconds or so. This would be relatively fast paced and so it would seem like the computer had more logic, since you wouldn't have time to pick up the patterns.

Just a couple of ideas, as it is now I didn't have any trouble at all knocking the computer out.

For file hosting just use geocities, I think your Yahoo account entitles you to webspace. Once you do that, save it onto Geocities and instead of linking to the file, link to an html file that links to the file. You can't link pictures and etc from outside of the page.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Quintaros

shbaz:   I like your idea about kicking the opponent while he's down to finish him off.  I've  worked on improving the opponent's logic so that he blocks the area of his body that the player is attacking most and punches the area of the player's body that the player is blocking least.  I think I have the advance/retreat logic working fairly well now too. Still needs to be worked out for timing issues though.

shbaz

Whilst posting all of my drivel I forgot to commend you for creating this, I like the old nintendo fighting style, and I think this will make a cool addition to a game.

QuoteI like your idea about kicking the opponent while he's down to finish him off.

I actually ripped that off from Grand theft auto.. after someone dies you can kick them until a pool of blood forms around their carcass.

Yeah, I said it! I play console games! *runs away to cry*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk