New AGS Website

Started by Pumaman, Fri 27/03/2009 22:37:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Mandarb

Not thrilled with the blue cup being used in the logo ... I remember loom's version from the old thread that I REALLY liked where it was a silhouette cup that would fit perfectly with this design/layout but dig as I might I was unable to find it in my archives.

But something like that would be incredible sitting next to this logo.

Snarky

This one? (From an old edit I did of one of loominous's designs.)

Ryan Timothy B

I like where you tossed the team names drop down.  I guess it seems fitting since after all it is a part of game description, in a way.
It would be really cool if CJ could make it expand And collapse, instead of it being only one way.  But I've never done anything like that on a website so I'm really not certain how hard it is to create.

I tried just now to see what it looks like with the screenshot on the right instead of the left, and I totally see why you have it on the left instead. lol  The larger white box around it really doesn't work well on the right. :P

If the "You haven't rated this game" warning can't work for some odd reason, I may cry. (joking)  :P  In all seriousness though, it's definitely a feature I would find very convenient to have.

Anyway, looks good.

cosmicr

I dont like the inconsistency in the fonts. Can it please have the fonts in this order: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif? And ditch all other fonts (including the serif fonts in the headings) except for the main title "Adventure Game Studio"

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: cosmicr on Wed 13/01/2010 04:00:18I dont like the inconsistency in the fonts. Can it please have the fonts in this order: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif? And ditch all other fonts

This was what I was referring to a few posts ago.  In my latest edit (below) I unified the font selection a bit more.  I made the headers, "10 years", buttons and navigation the same and all site text is Verdana (those that were editable in my file).

Snarky - that was the one I was referring to.  I seem to recall a bigger version, but that will do for now.  Thanks!

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Wed 13/01/2010 03:51:12It would be really cool if CJ could make it expand And collapse, instead of it being only one way.  But I've never done anything like that on a website so I'm really not certain how hard it is to create.

It's a very simple thing to accomplish with a dab of HTML and a drop or two of javascript ;)

m0ds

Very very awesome look, great job Darth!

Nothing says we're NOT celebrating 10 years like that statement & title area though... Only the graphic someone made of lots of little retro looking AGS characters really said to me that we've been at this for 10 years and something has come out of it and that we're celebrating it. I always like a little bit more in these days of internet simplicity. The banner with  := popping out was good, and yes does culminate the 2002 period of our lives/success of the engine onto the website. The cups and symbols are great, it's like the whole thing has gone up a notch. But the title area? If it doesn't feature AGS games, it's not exactly AGS is it :-\ Currently all page headers on the website and forums feature nice randomizing images of AGS games - and it seems the new layout is deleting that?

Darth Mandarb

Valid point(s) ...

Perhaps we could incorporate all those little characters on/around the "Celebrating 10 Years" part?  That would liven it up a bit up there I think.  And make it feel more festive!  Does anybody have that image with all the little characters?

Snarky

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Wed 13/01/2010 15:40:48
Valid point(s) ...

Perhaps we could incorporate all those little characters on/around the "Celebrating 10 Years" part?  That would liven it up a bit up there I think.  And make it feel more festive!  Does anybody have that image with all the little characters?

I think we had a couple. Didn't ProgZ draw a bunch of little toon versions of the characters all lounging around the logo?

I also had character sprites (taken directly from game screenshots) milling about on a very early version (before we settled on this overall design). It's not on this computer, I'll have a look at my other one.

Is there any way to look files up on the AGS file upload space? That's probably where it was hosted.

I still think we should get the "everyday" version of the design down before we worry too much about the special anniversary flourishes, but since you're doing all the work, whatever you think is most fun.  :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Yes, but oddly enough people complained that it looked retro...as if 99% of the games made with AGS aren't retro! :)

I don't see why the title logo can't cycle between a few fancy designs, though.

magintz

Looks awesome. Just not sure about the title. I think it might be the font or perhaps it's too simple for how rich the rest of the page is.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: ProgZmax on Wed 13/01/2010 19:20:00Yes, but oddly enough people complained that it looked retro...as if 99% of the games made with AGS aren't retro! :)
I don't see why the title logo can't cycle between a few fancy designs, though.

I tend to feel that a logo should be something that remains constant to establish a recognizable "brand".

I have to admit, though, that I tend to think of web-pages as a business and try to avoid the things that would make a visitor go, "meh, this looks silly" and leave the site (which I worry about with a bunch of characters that a new user most likely wouldn't recognize floating around the software's logo).  However, as AGS is not a business and isn't hurt by lack of new users I suppose it's not a big deal but I'm still not wild about the idea.  :/

I was particularly fond of the design where the characters were standing on the line to the right of the nav though... brings in that "whimsy" but left the logo alone.

Quote from: magintz on Wed 13/01/2010 21:25:36Looks awesome. Just not sure about the title. I think it might be the font or perhaps it's too simple for how rich the rest of the page is.

I thought that font was final/chosen but I'd be open to a change on it.

edit - was playin' around with an idea

cosmicr

I'm still not happy with the page. You've done a good job darth, but my feelings are;
- the whole page feels washed out and pale. There's no stand out colours - even the logo doesnt stand out.
- There's too much text on the page - its all too much to take in at once. A suggestion would be to lose the 'play games' side panel for a start
- make it a more graphical and iconised layout - the ratings and content advisory are a great start - consider the main links at the top etc, this can still be done whilst conserving bandwidth. the less I have to read the better, for example why do we need a header 'game description', its obvious that that paragraph is the description.
- consistency in the fonts
- the colours again really bother me - I know the blue is a tradition, but if we're adopting a brand and a logo, then there are much 'nicer' blues out there, for example look at this page: https://www.mesh.com/Welcome/default.aspx - that page is also a great example of how to present a lot of information without making the page too busy.
- what is the target screen resolution?
- something about it just doesnt make it feel very '2010' if you know what I mean.

sorry to sound harsh, but hopefully some of these ideas might be taken on board.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Wed 13/01/2010 15:40:48
Does anybody have that image with all the little characters?

The entire 1st page of this thread is covered with all Loominous' character ideas in the header designs and one by Progz.
There are actually some I had completely forgotten about too.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Yeah, the one title I made is on the first or second page.  I didn't really have time to sit and keep pumping out revisions like Loominous but I was operating under the idea that the logo could be dynamic and occasionally cycle in different ones by different people, possibly with a different line-up of characters (or focus) each time.

Snake

Could this be of any use?

I've had this for years. It's featuring the old forum members.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Darth Mandarb

Ahhh, I didn't realize some of those old revisions were still part of this thread (thought they were all lost to cyberspace when the original thread mysteriously vanished).

I've got another idea for the logo area that I'll whip up later but it's going to look something like this:

(loom's old version - just the header area I'm referring to)

Snake

Darth, I love Larry Vales' popping out from behind!
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Takyon

So will the designs ever be used for the new look site?
ghost.

Ryan Timothy B

We're trying to perfect the most obvious issues that the initial design template had... but you're right, will the site ever get updated? lol

Dualnames

I think it will. Now, on Darth's thingy. I think we should have a vote on the most famous AGS characters and then make them into a new banner? How about that? Perhaps it sounds really stupid. Sorry if it does. I do love the mock-up page of Nelly Cootalot. I find the font to be perfect and very readable. And the overall design feels top notch.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk