*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

Quote from: Tramponline on Thu 21/03/2013 20:51:05
If anyone would've told me a few years ago, that one day I'd be spellbound by a movie about a
guy driving a CAR from A to B (!?), I'd have, quite fankly, laughed in their faces!
Vanishing Point. Two Lane Blacktop. Thunder Road. American Classics all.  :cool:

Kasander

I'll shed some light on this matter.

Tramponline

Quote from: Ponch on Fri 22/03/2013 02:07:46
Vanishing Point. Two Lane Blacktop. Thunder Road. American Classics all.  :cool:

I'm a sucker when it comes to road movies. Still, 'Vanishing Point' is something else. The plot is so simple, but it's so much
more than the sum of it's parts.
Best of all, the whole film feels as if it isn't 'trying too hard'.
And in this 'not trying very hard'-attitude it succeeds where other movies feel the need to stuff endless tirades of "elaborate symbolic intricacies"
into the viewer, all the while stifling their own 'flow'.
Vanishing Point, on the other hand is, first and foremost, flow. A fecking awesome movie to just sit back and watch. It's almost a sublimation
of a road movie. Meaning comes easy, subtle and seemingly effortless.   /*sorry for rambling... :cheesy:     

Quote from: Kasander on Thu 21/03/2013 22:39:40
You're close, Trampoline:) And I know you know who the father is.

Yes, I seem to know the movie and who it's father is.

The movie's title sounds similar to some non-medical physical culture invention of the late 70s.
(Sigfried & Roy e.g. seem to have excessively overused that particular gadget! :tongue:)   

Snarky

When I think of Vanishing Point, I most of all remember listening to this song a lot back in the 90s, before seeing the movie:

[embed=560,315]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0xBzYsE4y1k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

Hmmm... not sure it really holds up.

As for the current challenge, the second screenshot looks like it might be Solaris, but I don't remember any "curvaceous, blonde things" in the movie (Kris's wife is auburn).

miguel

Still have that album Snarky. Pretty good stuff.
I'm holding the CD book right now and yeah, there's a lot of references to the movie.
Music 3 (Kowalsky, the one with the whispering words "Vanishing Point") contains dialogue from the movie as well.
Having the bassist from Stone Roses with them back then really helped making a great album in my opinion.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Kasander

Well, Trampoline guessed it first, when he said the title sounds similar to S&R's favourite addiction. So Trampoline, either its your turn now, or, if you wish so, you can lay this burden on Snarky's shoulders.

And you're perfectly right Snarky. Both times - Kelvin's wife IS auburn. I don't know why I've said she's blonde, it's been a while since I saw Solaris I guess. Sorry for the misleading :)

Tramponline

I didn't actually spell it out - definitely Snarky's turn.

Besides, a well-known Cat & Mouse just ganged up on me in the Awards thread :tongue: and now I have to
go pixel-pushing me some fancy tux to be eligible for tonights ceremony! :wink:

Kasander

Then it's decided -> Snarky's turn!
Oh yeah, THE AWARDS... wish I could be home tonight to witness all the tension & drama :) Hopefully this will get recorded somehow.

Snarky

cat

When I saw this pic I was immediately reminded of the Discworld book "Interesting Times". Don't think they ever made a movie of that, though.

CaptainD

abstauber

Snarky

CaptainD

Ah cool I only had a vague idea it looked right for that film!  :-D

Okay, here's one... late 60s cheesy sci-fi starring a young man who would become very famous, though not really for the sort of role he had here.  (The guy in the picture isn't him.)

[imgzoom]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-W2aGKHhmiec/UU34EUHUWaI/AAAAAAAASbE/yhA-JqM88oE/w549-h557-p-o-k/screencap.jpg[/imgzoom]

Eric

The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes?

CaptainD

Quote from: Eric on Sat 23/03/2013 19:25:31
The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes?

Ah man, I didn't realise it was going to be THAT easy!

You're up...

Eric

You're talking to someone who, just this afternoon, I shit you not, watched another of the Medfield College films -- The Absent-Minded Professor.

I'll post a new image after the awards ceremony!

Eric

Tramponline

selmiak

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk